Sports Ministry Nullifies Similaye Pepple’s Appointment As AFN DG

A file photo of the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare.

 

The Federal Government has nullified the appointment of Mr Similaye Pepple as the Director-General of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN).

In a statement on Tuesday by its spokesperson, A.B. Lere-Adams, the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development said it considered the appointment as illegal.

“The Ministry in its capacity of supervisory role over the National Sports Federations under its purview, set up a Ministerial Panel of Inquiry on AFN issues to investigate certain misdeeds and proffer solutions going forward.

“To this end, acting upon the recommendations of the panel, the Ministry hereby makes it categorically clear that the statue of the AFN and the National Sports Federation Code of Governance 2017, does not provide for the position of Director-General in any of the enabling documents,” the statement said.

It added, “Against this backdrop, the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development (FMYSD) has cancelled and nullified the alleged appointment of Mr Similaye Young Pepple as Director-General of AFN, more so, not being supported by any extant laws or regulations whatsoever.”

The ministry explained that the decision was part of the government’s effort to sanitise and restore order into the myriad of issues besetting the smooth operation of the AFN.

According to the ministry, the Code of Governance supports the Secretary-General, who has already been duly appointed, and not the office of a Director-General.

It asked the AFN, stakeholders in the sports sector, and Nigerians to note the development.

Volleyball: Sports Ministry Approves Super Cup Championship In Ilorin

Caption: Last Season’s Division 1 encounter between Kada Kings and Delta Force In Ilorin.

 

The Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has approved Top 8 National Volleyball Championship for males and females tagged the Super Cup.

The championship is scheduled to take place at the University of Ilorin Sports Complex in Kwara State, from November 19 to 29.

In a statement by Samuel Aduda, the acting Director of Federal Elite Athletes Development (FEAD), the ministry urged the Nigeria Volleyball Federation to ensure COVID-19 sports codes and protocols were observed.

“I am directed to convey to you that the honourable minister has given approval for the Federation to organise the 2020 Top 8 National Volleyball Championship.

“You are to ensure strict compliance with all COVID-19 sports codes and protocols during the Championship,” the statement said.

In his reaction, the President of the Federation, Musa Nimrod, commended the ministry’s decision to approve the championship and asked the League Management Committee to respect the protocols.

He said, “I must commend the minister for giving express approval of the Top 8 in Ilorin. The minister has shown his love and passion for sports in the country.

“I urge the League Management Committee to follow all laid down rules of the COVID-19 protocols by the Ministry of Sports”

The Super Cup will produce the champions of the volleyball league.

Egypt’s Prosecutor To Investigate Missing African Cup Saga

A file photo of a court gavel.

 

The sports ministry said Wednesday it has referred a probe into a missing African Cup of Nations trophy which Egypt has possessed since 2010 to the prosecutor general after a string of explosive allegations.

“The ministry of youth and sports has referred the file of the loss of some important silverware from the warehouses of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) to the prosecutor general,” it said in a brief statement on its Facebook page.

The investigation was launched last week when celebrated ex-national goalkeeper Ahmed Shobair said the EFA found that the gold trophy, along with other awards from previous tournaments, had gone missing.

Officials were preparing to inaugurate a museum showcasing Egypt’s football memorabilia in time for the EFA’s centenary when the loss was realised, Shobair said on his popular talkshow.

Another former football hero Magdy Abdelghani, along with the EFA, waded into the debate suggesting ex-national team players and coaches Ahmed Hassan and Shawky Gharib knew of the 2010 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) trophy’s whereabouts.

But former football officials said it was looted during a fire in 2013 caused by protesters, known as the Ultras, at the EFA headquarters in Cairo.

The accusations prompted the sports ministry and EFA to kick off investigations that have been closely monitored by Egypt’s legions of fervent football fans.

Hassan and Gharib have both dismissed any link to the disappearance.

The continent’s football governing body, the Confederation of African Football, said Sunday it had “learnt with shock reports of missing AFCON trophies from the Egyptian Football Association secretariat”.

“Our doors are open and the @EFA can count on our support in the search for the priceless memorabilia,” it tweeted.

Egypt was allowed to keep the trophy on a permanent basis — with a new cup made — after the dominant run of the “Pharaohs”, as the national team is known, winning three titles in a row, in 2006, 2008 and 2010.

Egypt is the most successful country in Africa Cup of Nations history, having won the trophy a total of seven times since 1957.

But the Pharaohs were knocked out at the last-16 stage last year when Egypt hosted the biennial tournament.

AFP