West Brom Sack Manager Steve Bruce

File photo of West Brom manager Steve Bruce in Newcastle, England. AFP

 

Championship club West Brom on Monday sacked manager Steve Bruce after just eight months in charge with the club in the relegation zone.

The former Newcastle boss, 61, signed an 18-month contract at the Hawthorns in February but won just eight of his 32 games in charge.

“West Bromwich Albion have today parted company with manager Steve Bruce,” the club said in a statement.

“Backroom staff Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence and Alex Bruce (Bruce’s son) have also left the Hawthorns.

“The club would like to place on record its thanks to Steve Bruce and his coaching staff for their efforts since arriving in February.”

The club said the process of appointing a new manager was under way.

The former Manchester United defender has enjoyed four promotions to the Premier League during his long managerial career but leaves with West Brom 22nd in the Championship after just one win in their first 13 league games.

AFP

Steve Bruce Leaves Newcastle By ‘Mutual Consent’

In this file photo taken on August 15, 2021, Newcastle United’s English head coach Steve Bruce gestures on the touchline during the English Premier League football match between Newcastle United and West Ham United.

 

Steve Bruce has left his position as Newcastle manager by “mutual consent”, 13 days after a Saudi-led takeover at St James’ Park, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday.

Bruce, whose departure was widely expected, took charge of his 1,000th match as a manager in Sunday’s 3-2 defeat by Tottenham — his only game under the new owners.

His assistant, Graeme Jones, will take charge of the team for Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace, with the Magpies still searching for their first Premier League win of the season and sitting just one place off the foot of the table.

Former Roma coach Paulo Fonseca is the bookmakers’ favourite to succeed Bruce, with ex-Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe and former Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre also linked with the job.

[READ ALSO] UCL: Salah Delivers Again As Liverpool Beat 10-Man Atletico

“Newcastle United can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent,” said a club statement, which confirmed the search for a new head coach was underway.

“He leaves the Magpies after more than two years in charge, having steered the club to 13th and 12th-place finishes in the Premier League.”

Bruce, 60, said he was grateful to have had the opportunity to manage the “unique” club, saying he had experienced “highs and lows” during his tenure.

“This is a club with incredible support, and I hope the new owners can take it forward to where we all want it to be,” he said. “I wish everyone the very best of luck for the rest of this season and beyond.”

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Bruce admitted the Newcastle job could be his last.

“It’s taken its toll on my whole family because they are all Geordies (from the Newcastle area) and I can’t ignore that,” he said.

“This will probably be me done as a manager — until I get a phone call from a chairman somewhere asking if I can give them a hand,” he added. “Never say never, I’ve learnt that.”

Bruce, who managed a long list of clubs including Sunderland and Aston Villa, also hit out at the critics whom he felt never gave him a chance at the club.

“By the time I got to Newcastle, I thought I could handle everything thrown at me but it has been very, very tough,” he said.

“To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail, to read people constantly saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a stupid, tactically inept cabbage head or whatever. And it was from day one.”

– Newcastle takeover –
The £305 million ($420 million) Newcastle takeover was rubber-stamped by the Premier League earlier this month after it received legally binding assurances that the Saudi state would not control the club.

That was despite the fact that Saudi Arabia’s state sovereign wealth fund — the Public Investment Fund — owns 80 percent of the club and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is listed as the PIF board’s chairman.

The protracted takeover, which ended the 14-year reign of the unpopular Mike Ashley, has been criticised by human rights groups as a Saudi attempt at “sportswashing” its reputation on the international stage.

Bruce was a deeply unpopular figure with the Newcastle supporters, in part due to his past as manager of northeast rivals Sunderland.

A recent poll from the Newcastle United Supporters Trust found that 94 percent of fans wanted him to quit.

However, he kept the club afloat by staying out of relegation trouble in his two full seasons in charge despite the limited resources provided by Ashley.

A wave of Saudi investment is expected to transform Newcastle’s fortunes on the pitch, following the example set by English champions Manchester City and French powerhouse Paris Saint-Germain.

The club have not won a major trophy since 1969 despite regularly attracting crowds of more than 50,000.

Stay At Home, Newcastle Tell Players Amid Coronavirus Lockdown

Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce arrives ahead of the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Burnley at St. James’s Park, Newcastle, England on 29 February 2020. AFP

 

Newcastle manager Steve Bruce has told his players to stay at home during the Premier League’s coronavirus lockdown.

The Premier League announced on Friday that all matches would be postponed until April 3 over fears about the spread of the deadly pandemic.

Bruce said Newcastle had already drawn up a response to the coronavirus outbreak when the governing bodies acted on Friday after Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea midfielder Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive for the illness.

That will entail the players staying at home and working on their personal fitness programmes to stay in shape.

Bruce, whose side were due to face Sheffield United on Saturday, said: “We’ve set the personal programmes in place, they’re ready to go.

“I think that’s what the doctors of all the clubs are recommending. Up until yesterday, we thought we were fine to play this weekend, but when the news broke (about Arteta), it was obvious the situation had changed.

“Once we heard about that, and Leicester and now Chelsea, we knew things had moved on.

“We’ve been talking about what will happen if everything is suspended for two weeks, four weeks. The plan would be for the players to go away with their own individual programmes, to take them away from here, because we are on top of each other.

“There are 70 or 80 of us in quite a confined space. If one of them got infected when they were away from the training ground and then came back in, clearly that would be an issue. It’s so contagious, apparently.”

AFP

Steve Bruce Loses First Game As Wolves Beat Newcastle

Newcastle United’s Rolando Aarons (2nd R) challenges Wolverhampton Wanderers’s Adama Traore (L) during the 2019 Premier League Asia Trophy football tournament in Nanjing, in China’s Jiangsu province on July 17, 2019.
HECTOR RETAMAL / AFP

 

The scale of the task facing new head coach Steve Bruce was brutally laid bare as Newcastle United were thrashed 4-0 by Premier League rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers in China on Wednesday.

Former Manchester United defender Bruce, whose appointment was confirmed just hours before kick-off, will jet over to take charge of Newcastle’s next friendly, in Shanghai on Saturday.

It was only a low-key exhibition match, but the heavy defeat to Nuno Espirito Santo’s Wolves in Nanjing was more evidence that Newcastle is likely to be battling relegation this season.

Newcastle has risked stoking the anger of their frustrated fans by hiring former Sunderland boss Bruce, who has sealed a three-year contract to succeed the hugely popular Rafael Benitez.

READ ALSO: Steve Bruce Named Newcastle United Head Coach

There were even isolated chants against hated club owner Mike Ashley during the Wolves loss.

Federico Fernandez, the Newcastle defender, called on fans angry with Bruce’s arrival to get behind the new man.

“We are looking forward to working with him, he is a man of great experience, we are thinking positive,” said the Argentine.

“I understand the fans’ situation,” he said, addressing supporters’ negative reaction to the 58-year-old Bruce, a lifelong Newcastle fan.

“For us, we want to work, we want to do better as a team… to show the fans and everyone that we can compete.”

In a statement, Bruce, who resigned from Championship side Sheffield Wednesday to join Newcastle, called it “a very special moment for me and my family”.

“This is my boyhood club and it was my dad’s club.”

Bruce might be a local boy, but his two-year spell as coach of Newcastle’s fierce rivals Sunderland and a mediocre record as a Premier League manager are major black marks for an already infuriated fan base.

Bruce, who has won four promotions from the second tier of English football, has suffered relegation from the Premier League twice.

His highest finish was 10th with Birmingham in 2003-04 and Sunderland in 2010-11.

Bruce has his work cut out at Newcastle, who have lost their leading forwards from last season — Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez — and are the only Premier League club yet to make a summer signing.

The transfer window closes in less than a month, adding to the pressure on Bruce and Ashley as they try to win over disillusioned fans.

There have been calls for a boycott of St James’ Park until Ashley sells the crisis club.

If Bruce was watching on television, he would have been exasperated by what he saw from his side in China, who were under the interim stewardship of academy coach Ben Dawson.

Diogo Jota struck twice in the first half for Chinese-owned Wolves as demoralised Newcastle wilted alarmingly in the Nanjing heat.

Champions Manchester City were to play West Ham United in the next match in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

AFP

Steve Bruce Named Newcastle United Head Coach

In this file photo taken on May 28, 2016 Hull City’s English manager Steve Bruce (R) reacts during the English Championship play-off final football match between Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday at Wembley Stadium. Premier League club Newcastle United have announced that Steve Bruce is their new head coach. PHOTO: Ian Kington / AFP

Newcastle United announced on Wednesday that Steve Bruce has been appointed head coach following the departure of Rafael Benitez from the Premier League club.

“Newcastle United can now announce that Steve Bruce has been appointed as the club’s new head coach,” the club said on its website, adding that the former Manchester United player had signed an initial three-year contract.

The 58-year-old Bruce, who grew up in Tyneside and is a former coach of Newcastle’s fierce rivals Sunderland, will be joined at St. James’ Park by coaches Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, the club added.

Bruce, who resigned from Sheffield Wednesday prior to signing with Newcastle, told the club website: “I’m delighted and incredibly proud to be appointed as head coach of Newcastle United.

“This is my boyhood club and it was my dad’s club, so this is a very special moment for me and my family.”

Lee Charnley, managing director at Newcastle United, said the club was pleased to appoint a coach of Bruce’s “vast experience and connections…”

“The hard work for Steve and his team starts immediately and we will be fully prepared for the challenge of a new Premier League season,” he added.

The Newcastle squad are currently on a pre-season tour in China and Bruce and his staff are scheduled to travel to join them there following Wednesday’s match in Nanjing against Wolves.

AFP

Hull City Sack Mike Phelan As Manager

Hull City Sack Mike Phelan As ManagerCoach Mike Phelan has been sacked as Hull City head coach less than three months after securing the role on a permanent basis.

Phelan was installed as Hull caretaker boss following the departure of Steve Bruce in July and led The Tigers until October 13, when he was finally given the role on a full-time basis until the end of the season.

The 3-1 defeat away at West Bromwich Albion on Monday left Hull in 20th place on 13 points and without a win in the Premier League since November 6.

Hull have won just three times since securing promotion back to the top flight via the championship play-offs last May and are currently three points from safety.