The death of a 17 year old girl, Jennifer Onyeche, who died on the July 24th 2013 while working at a Juice manufacturing company in Ketu area of Lagos, has raised several questions, including the actual cause of her death.
The secondary school leaver, Jennifer, was reported to have died of electrocution but a doctor’s report states that the cause of death is asphyxiation.
Asphyxiation is a condition of severely deficient supply of oxygento the bodythat arises from being unable to breathenormally.
Jennifer’s mother, Dorcas Onyeche, said four of her daughter’s co-workers visited her at 11pm to announce that she (Jennifer) got electrocuted and is dead.
Her father, Friday Onyeche, told Channels Television that he had been refused the right to see his late daughter’s corpse many days after her death.
However, there seems to be a conspiracy of silence as the police did not let the girl’s parents to see the autopsy report, but scribbled the cause of death on a piece of paper.
Dr. Femi Adewale of Fineday Hospital, Ketu confirmed that Jennifer was rushed to his hospital but was dead on arrival.
He explained that asphyxia and electrocution are two causes of death that have nothing in common.
An administrative staff of the company where Jennifer worked, a fruit juice manufacturing company located a No.9 Adisa Akintoye street, Ketu, divulged no information about the incident.
The state Criminal Investigation Department is currently handling the case.