The Ministry of Defence in Nigeria says the traffic gridlock on Nyanya-Abuja highway experienced by road users is in the overall best interest of the public and necessitated by the emerging security threats.
After a bomb attack last week Monday at Nyanya Motor Park, about 16 kilometres to Abuja, the Federal Capital territory was put on red alert, resulting in the check of vehicles coming into the city from that direction.
The bomb attack left 75 persons dead with over 120 injured.
Islamic sect, Boko Haram, claimed responsibility for the attack.
Since the checks began, it takes over three hours before persons coming from that direction can access the city, a development that has generated reactions and complaints from the general public.
In a statement, the spokesman for the Defence Ministry, Major General Chris Olukolade, assured those affected that the measures were not punitive or deliberately meant to inconvenience them.
“The actions are necessitated by the emerging security threats facing the nation which calls for support and understanding of the populace.
“The security measures will be reviewed as more equipment and additional support are introduced to ease the gridlock,” the statement read.
The Ministry further called on the public to bear the temporary measure which it says is in the overall best interest of the public