Tesco Unveils 16,000 Jobs As Online Food Sales Surge

(FILES) In this file photo taken on January 27, 2017 signage for a branch of a Tesco in London is pictured. – Supermarket giant Tesco said Monday, August 24, it will create 16,000 permanent UK jobs to meet soaring online demand for groceries triggered by the coronavirus pandemic. Daniel LEAL-OLIVAS / AFP.

 

Tesco will create 16,000 permanent UK jobs to meet a coronavirus-fuelled surge in online grocery demand, the supermarket giant said Monday in a boost for the country’s embattled retail sector.

Britain’s biggest retailer added in a statement that it expects “the majority” of jobs to be filled by temporary staff drafted in during the pandemic to cope with soaring home food deliveries amid the country’s lockdown.

“Since the start of the pandemic, our colleagues have helped us to more than double our online capacity, safely serving nearly 1.5 million customers every week and prioritising vulnerable customers to ensure they get the food they need,” said Jason Tarry, chief executive for Tesco UK and Ireland.

“These new roles will help us continue to meet online demand for the long term, and will create permanent employment opportunities for 16,000 people across the UK,” he added in a statement.

The new permanent positions are in addition to around 4,000 full-time jobs created by Tesco during the pandemic.

Some 47,000 temporary staff joined Tesco at the peak of the coronavirus, most of whom have reached the end of their contracts.

Pre-pandemic, online sales at Tesco accounted for about nine percent of total revenue.

That has jumped to more than 16 percent, with Tesco expecting online sales this year to reach more than £5.5 billion ($7.1 billion, 6.0 billion euros).

Monday’s update comes after major UK companies announced thousands of job cuts in recent weeks, notably across the aviation, energy and retail sectors, owing to COVID-19 fallout.

Britain’s economy shrank by one fifth in the second quarter, more than any European neighbour, as the lockdown plunged the country into its deepest recession on record.

In October, the UK government is to end a furlough scheme that has been paying up to 80 percent of wages for around ten million workers during the pandemic.

Analysts said this would result in soaring unemployment across Britain.

– Travel sector warning –

The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) warned Monday that more than 90,000 travel jobs have been lost or remain under threat owing to coronavirus fallout.

Far fewer Britons are heading abroad, particularly after the UK government re-imposed quarantine on travellers returning from nations including Austria, Croatia, France, the Netherlands and Spain.

“Travel desperately needs the government in its next review to provide tailored support or tens of thousands more jobs will be lost,” said ABTA chief executive Mark Tanzer.

The gloomy survey came after student specialist holiday firm STA Travel UK collapsed on Friday.

Among British retailers hit hard by virus fallout is Marks and Spencer, which last week said it was axing 7,000 jobs as wary customers steer clear of its stores, which mainly sell clothes and food.

AFP

£1 million lottery scam: Man jailed for 30 months

Farrakh Nizzar a shop worker has been jailed for 2 years and 6 months for trying to defraud a couple of their £1 million lottery ticket.

When the pensioner couple asked Farrakh Nizzar who is 30 years old and an illegal over-stayer in the United Kingdom the state of their ticket and their ticket which is the EuroMillions ticket was not a winning ticket and asked if they wanted the ticket back.

The Holts’ told Nizzar afterwards to thrash the ticket since its worthless but after the couples left, Nizzar took the ticket scanned it at a cousin’s Best One shop in Oldham Greater Manchester where he also works and he was told by the terminal to tell the holders of the ticket to contact Camelot.

Rather than do just that, Nizzar who is now facing deportation back to his home country of Pakistan kept the ticket and later called the lottery company himself in an attempt to keep the prize. But the firm became suspicious when he was unable to answer questions about the winning ticket.

Nizzar came to the UK in 2007 on a student visa and completed a postgraduate diploma in business studies. But his student visa ran out, he was refused leave to remain in the UK and exhausted all his rights to appeal.

Camelot began investigation with the aid of a CCTV, the Tesco Clubcard belonging to Mr.Holt to trace the original owners of the ticket and the Holts’ were united with their £1 million prize.

Nizzar bowed his head and made no reaction as he was jailed at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester after he pleaded guilty last month to one charge of fraud by false representation which was committed on May 31 this year and has since written a letter of apology to Mr and Mrs Holt.