Boko Haram Terrorists Regrouping In Borno – Army

UN Condemns Borno Twin Bomb Explosion
Map of Borno State

 

The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Rogers Nicholas, has said that some Boko Haram members are regrouping around Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

Nicholas stated this to journalists in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital on Monday, that some of the terrorists attacked the nation’s military troops in Bama village on Saturday.

According to him, the troops were attacked while conducting clearance operations in the area.

He also blamed the attack on the muddy terrain of the road, which slowed the movement of troops and left several operational vehicles stuck.

The Theater Commander, however, denied reports that some soldiers went missing after the attack with military vehicles carted away. He described such report as untrue and misleading.

Nicholas noted that the army would have to restrategise its operations especially with the setting in of the rains to consolidate on successes recorded.

Director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Texas Chukwu, had earlier denied reports that 23 Nigerian soldiers were missing after the ambush.

The Army spokesman said the soldiers promptly repelled the attack while none of them was dead or missing.

“The Nigerian Army wishes to state categorically that the report is not only untrue but misleading as the said report is blown out of proportion by the media.

“Contrary to the report, the Nigerian Army wishes to put the record straight on the issue and assure members of the public particularly residents of the North East to disregard the report as their safety is guaranteed,” he said.

To Chukwu, the fight against Boko Haram terrorists in the insurgency troubled region of the country was yielding positive results.

 

Only One Soldier Injured In Boko Haram Ambush – Army

Nigeria, Army, Suicide Bombers

The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, the military squad fighting insurgency in the northeast, has described as false reports claiming that 23 Nigerian soldiers are missing noting that only one soldier was injured in the ambush by Boko Haram terrorists.

Major General Nicholas Rogers told Channels Television correspondent in Borno State on Monday, that there was no incident of ambush in Boboshe but rather the troops carried out operations along Kwakwa and Bula Naglin areas, also in Borno State.

He explained that during the operation, some of the military vehicles were bugged down due to bad roads, during which the insurgents came on two occasions to attack but were repelled by the joint efforts of the Nigerian Air Force and Army troops.

READ ALSO: Army Arrests Suspected Suppliers Of Fuel To Boko Haram

He disclosed further that one officer and a soldier were injured, with over 22 Boko Haram members killed during the incident, while some of the bugged down vehicles have been recovered and more troops deployed to the area.

Channels Television also contacted the spokesman of the Nigerian Army, Colonel Texas Chukwu, who promised to release a formal statement on the matter.

It was reported over the weekend by some media that at least 23 Nigerian soldiers are missing following an ambush by Boko Haram insurgents on a military convoy at Boboshe Village in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

Eight out of 11 trucks which were mobilised to clear insurgents from the village are also said to be missing after the ambush which reportedly occurred on Saturday.

Military Commits To Ridding Northeast Of Insurgents

Military Commits To Ridding Northeast Of InsurgentsAlthough relative peace may have returned to Nigeria’s northeast, troops fighting the insurgents in the area say they are not resting on their oars in their bid to clear the region of terrorists.

This was confirmed by the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, at the weekly briefing of Army operations in the northeast.

Giving details of their operations so far, Mr Irabor said: “On the 1st of February 2017 at about 09:50 am, home troops cleared Boko Haram Camp at Dusala where six Boko Haram Terrorists were killed.

lafiya-dole1
Some recovered items (arms) on display

Some items were also recovered such as one light machine gun, two RPG tubes, as well as one anti-aircraft gun.

“Thereafter, our troops came in contact with the Boko Haram Terrorists at bulk where a fire-fight ensued and sadly in that firefight we lost three soldiers and five others were wounded.

“Furthermore, nine AK 47 rifles, two RPG bombs, one mortal tube, an anti-aircraft gun and two Hilux vehicles among others were recovered from the terrorists,” he added.

Boko Haram Terrorists Attack Convoy In Maiduguri

Boko Haram, Terrorists, MaiduguriReports say gunmen believed to be Boko Haram extremists on Saturday attacked a convoy of motorists along the Maiduguri-Biu highway which was recently secured by the military.

Unconfirmed reports said seven people were killed in the attack.

However, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, told Channels Television on Sunday that only one person was killed in the attack while others were injured.

General Irabor stated that the military did not suffer any casualty in the attack.

The Maiduguri-Biu highway has been one of the most dangerous routes in Northeast Nigeria in the last three years due to Boko Haram attacks.

The incident came three days after Boko Haram gunmen suffered a heavy loss of their members, after a foiled attempt to attack a military base in Borno State.

In that incident, a large number of the insurgents stormed a military base in Kamaya, but failed to dislodge the soldiers.

Nigerian Navy Begins Full Counter-insurgency Operations In Lake Chad

Navy-boat-UgwuThe Nigerian Navy has commenced full operations on the Nigerian side of the general Lake Chad area to ensure it is totally liberated from Boko Haram.

Marine troops have been deployed to the area in line with presidential directives to give a boost to the war against insurgency in northeast Nigeria.

The Chief of Naval staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, announced the deployment during an interaction with commanders in the newly established area of Naval operations to appraise the situation on ground.

The Lake Chad area falls under Baga, a border local government in northern Borno State a notorious stronghold of the Boko Haram insurgents carrying out trans-border operations after sacking the fishing town of Baga.

Three years after a deadly massacre of an estimated 2,000 residents, Baga is still a ghost town, deserted by civilians and now home to the Multi-National joint Task Force fighters.

To fully free the area of terrorists, the Chief of Naval Staff said that the Nigerian Navy was joining forces with the ground and air troops.

He is hopeful that the collaboration will speed up the post conflict healing process in the area.

Government officials in Borno State are happy with the presidential directives, especially as Baga has the biggest fish market in the region and serves as an economic hub for the state.

Total liberation and revival of the area will pave way for a continuation of the suspended oil exploration around the lake Chad area.

Borno State Deputy Governor, Usman Durkwa, expressed optimism that full restoration of peace in the area would improve economic activities and promote normal life.

The Naval Chief also held talks with the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole and other key stakeholders in Borno State.

They are brainstorming on how to achieve synergy and smooth running of the new operational base.

Army Vows Boko Haram Will Be Punished For Killing Chibok Girls

Army, Boko Haram, Chibok girlsThe Nigerian Army says the outlawed Boko Haram group will be punished for killing 40 of the Chibok girls in their custody.

The Theatre Commander of the counter-insurgency war, Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, who made the vow, told a news conference that the days of the Boko Haram insurgents were numbered.

General Irabor was reacting to claims by a faction of the terrorist group in a recent video that 40 out of the over 200 girls they seized from a school in Chibok community of Borno State had died from airstrikes in the Lafiya Dole Operations.

“Airstrikes are not AK47 rifles. It’s only a matter of common sense that those dead bodies shown on the ground there do not even give indication as to the claim which Boko Haram gave,” he said.

In continuance of clearance operations in liberated towns around Borno State in northeast Nigeria, the Theatre Commander said that the command had taken delivery of three mine sweepers.

He said the ammunition was part of the equipment the command had received lately and hinted that more sophisticated machines were still being expected.

General Irabor explained that they would detect remnants of improvised explosive devices left in farmlands and towns by the fleeing insurgents.

The Commander also asked the remaining Boko Haram members to surrender, as the army would not relent in its operations to totally rid Nigeria of criminals.

“Their future is going to be very disastrous if they fail to surrender and lay down their arms.

“I wish to encourage them to take advantage of this window of opportunity to surrender, as failure to do so will be hugely regretted,” General Irabor stated.

Gongon Ambush: Army Says Commanding Officer, 17 Others Missing

Army, Soldiers The Nigerian Army says three officers and 15 soldiers are missing in action following the showdown with Boko Haram insurgents in northern Borno State.

Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, disclosed this on Friday to journalists in Maiduguri, the state capital.

He said that a search party deployed to the area has already established contact with six soldiers and four members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (JTF).

Commanding Officer of the Operation is among those still missing in action, as well as unspecified number of members of the civilian JTF.

According to the Theatre Commander, the soldiers disappeared after engaging the bandits in what appears to be a reinforcement mission for their dislodged collaborators in a town called “Gongon”.

Boko Haram Ambush

The Army had earlier said that a number of its troops were missing after they ran into an ambush by the dreaded terrorists.

In a statement, the Army explained that the attack occurred while the troops were returning to their defensive locations after operations to clear remnants of the insurgents at Guro Gongon village and its environs.

It added that the operation led to the destruction of the terrorists’ makeshift camps and recovery of various weapons including an anti-aircraft gun, an armored personnel carrier, as well as motorcycles used by the militants.