Saudi Executes Three Soldiers For ‘High Treason’

Medina, Qatif, Saudi Arabia
Map of Saudi Arabia

 

Saudi Arabia on Saturday executed three soldiers for “high treason”, the defence ministry said.

The soldiers were found guilty of “the crime of high treason in cooperation with the enemy” in a way that threatens the kingdom and its military interests, the ministry said in a statement published by the official Saudi Press Agency.

The statement named the three soldiers — Mohammed bin Ahmed, Shaher bin Issa and Hamoud bin Ibrahim — without identifying who they were accused of colluding with.

READ ALSO: World Leaders Pay Tribute To Prince Philip

The announcement comes as Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the 35-year-old heir to the throne, consolidates his grip on power and as a Saudi-led military campaign intensifies in neighbouring Yemen.

Prince Mohammed is already viewed as the country’s de facto ruler, controlling all the major levers of government, from defence to the economy.

He holds the title of defence minister, while his younger brother Prince Khalid bin Salman is the deputy.

Over the past three years, the crown prince has mounted a sweeping crackdown on critics and rivals, with the imprisonment of prominent royal family members, business tycoons, clerics and activists.

In March last year, Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, a brother of King Salman, and the monarch’s nephew Prince Mohammed bin Nayef were detained, multiple sources said, as the crown prince sought to stamp out traces of internal dissent.

Saudi authorities have not publicly commented on their ongoing detention.

Riyadh led a military coalition into Yemen in March 2015 to prop up the internationally recognised government, but it has struggled to oust the Iran-backed Huthi rebels.

It has also faced a surge in missile and drone attacks against the kingdom.

Fighting has also intensified for the key Yemeni region of Marib, with 53 pro-government and Huthi rebel fighters dead in the past 24 hours, loyalist military officials said Saturday.

The Huthis have been trying to seize oil-rich Marib, the government’s last significant pocket of territory in the north, since February.

AFP

I Have No Feud With Buhari, Says Dasuki

dasuki

 

Former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki is still relishing his air of freedom after spending four years in custody and is waxing philosophical about his ordeal in the last four years.

In an interview with the voice of America Hausa service, the former NSA expressed his gratitude to Nigerians for the prayers while in captivity and insists he has no personal feud with president Muhammadu Buhari.

In the interview which was conducted in Hausa, Dasuki said there are no words enough to show appreciation for all the prayers offered. All we can do is to thank them and pray to God to reward them abundantly. We have seen the results of their prayers.

He thanked God for good health, stressing that he was hail and hearty.

In reaction to what he has to say to the Federal government, Dasuki said there is nothing really to say to the government.

“Everything that happens to an individual is from God. It is only God’s will that will prevail. It is ignorance or lack of faith that pushes some to think that certain individuals are behind their predicaments. Everything is ordained by God. As you said, I was detained for four years and I am out today. Only God knows tomorrow.

“The only thing is that there must be fairness. Whoever goes to the Mosque on Friday must surely have heard the Imam always preach for fairness and honesty. There is a reason for that. Everyone should listen to it,” Dasuki said.

Dasuki futher stressed that he will be returning to court to prove that the allegations against him are not correct.

“I stopped going to the court because I was granted bail but the government refused to release me and I said whenever the bail order is complied with I will appear before the court and defend myself. I am ready.”

Reacting to speculations that his arrest was because he apprehended General Buhari during the military era, Dasuki said he is not aware of the claim.

He further stressed that there is no sort of feud between him and the President.

“I have no feud with anybody. I am more than that. I can’t engage in a feud with anyone,” Dasuki stated.

Zimbabwe Opposition MP Charged With Treason

At Least 31 Dead As Cyclone Idai Hits Eastern Zimbabwe

 

Zimbabwe lawmaker Job Sikhala, the vice-chairman of the opposition MDC party, was on Tuesday charged with treason after allegedly saying the party would overthrow the government before the next election, his lawyer said.

READ ALSO: Ghana Drops Treason Charges Against Separatist Leaders

“He has been formerly charged with attempting to overthrow the government unconstitutionally,” his lawyer Obey Shava told AFP, saying his client denied the charges.

Sikhala, an often outspoken senior official in the Movement for Democratic Change party, allegedly said in a speech at a rally on Saturday that the party would unseat President Emmerson Mnangagwa before the next election.

“We are going to overthrow him (Mnangagwa) before 2023,” Sikhala was quoted as saying.

Some Zimbabweans hoped that the ousting of long-time autocrat Robert Mugabe in 2017 would usher in a more tolerant political scene as Mnangagwa sought to attract foreign investment.

But government critics have been frequently targeted by the police and security forces as the country’s economy tips into crisis.

The ZANU-PF government reacted furiously to the remarks, with information secretary Nick Mangwana describing the speech as an “insurgent rant”.

Mnangagwa promised a fresh start for Zimbabwe after decades of repression and economic decline under Mugabe.

But his presidency has been marked by brutal security crackdowns and rocketing inflation.

Court Frees 35 Biafra Agitators In Port Harcourt

Court Frees 35 Biafra Agitators In Port HarcourtThe Rivers State Judiciary complex in Port Harcourt was full of jubilation as 35 pro-Biafra agitators were discharged.

The agitators were arrested by the Police on January 20, during a rally in solidarity for the inauguration of the U.S. President, Donald Trump.

They were charged by the Police on two counts bordering on conspiracy to commit treason and treasonable felony.

The Chief Magistrate, Andrew Jaja, freed the suspects for what he described as lack of diligent prosecution by the Police.

In his ruling on Friday, Justice Jaja held that neither the Attorney-General nor the Commissioner of Police showed up in court within the 20-day period as stipulated by law, to file the necessary court processes to show proof why the agitators should continue to be held in prison custody for the offences for which they were charged.

Jonathan Deserves A Second Term – Kuku

The Special adviser to the president on Niger Delta and Chairman of the Presidential Amnesty Committee, Kingsley Kuku has said that President Goodluck Jonathan deserves a second term if he so desires it.

The presidential aide disclosed this in an exclusive interview on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily.

Mr Kuku, who was recently accused of committing treason for allegedly making a statement implying that there would be chaos in the Niger Delta should the president fail to secure to second term come 2015.

While speaking on the programme, Mr Kuku denied making such statements and added that he is a strong believer of the Jonathan led administration.

“The president has done so well because I am one of the few Nigerians who believe very strongly that this president has done so well… though well underreported under-publisied by the Nigerian media.”

He accused the opposition of making him appear not doing well. He also added that Jonathan’s achievements are underreported by the Nigerian media

He stated that “the common Nigerian who are (sic) the mass do believe that this president has done so well” and that the populace would be the ones to debate and decide who they want as president when the time comes.

President Goodluck Jonathan deserves a second term if “he so desires to have” it and “if makes himself available.” He said.

President Goodluck Jonathan has said in recent times that he is yet to decide what he will do in 2015 as he is busy with accomplishing what he set out to do in his current term.