Schools, kindergartens and universities will remain closed in Romania for the rest of the academic year because of the novel coronavirus pandemic, President Klaus Iohannis said Monday, with a re-opening planned for September.
“We gave up on the idea of reopening schools. It would be impossible, for example, for students to respect social distancing rules, so we are trying to avoid major risks,” Iohannis said during a televised speech.
An exception will be made for students in the final year of primary and secondary schools who, for ten days in June, will be allowed to attend classes in order to prepare for final exams.
Over the coming months, instead of going to school students will continue to take part in distance learning programmes.
Education Minister Monica Anisie decided last week that online classes be made compulsory, a measure criticised by students’ associations.
“Hundreds of thousands of students don’t have access to digital instruments and cannot take part in online classes,” the National Council of Students said in a statement, calling the measure “discriminatory”.
Romania is one of the poorest countries in the European Union, with 38 percent of children at risk of social exclusion and poverty, according to Eurostat.
The country has so far reported 11,339 infections of the new coronavirus, and 631 deaths.
Two months after it was brought in, the country’s state of emergency will be lifted on May 15, when restrictions on movement will end, but wearing a face mask will become mandatory on public transport and in other enclosed public spaces.
Iraq on Sunday imposed a total nationwide lockdown until March 28 to fight the novel coronavirus, as the number of cases grew and the death toll climbed to 20.
Most of Iraq’s 18 provinces had so far imposed their own local curfews but the new measures would include the whole of the country, according to a new decision by the government’s crisis cell.
Schools, universities and other gathering places would remain closed, as would the country’s multiple international airports, it said in a statement seen by AFP.
Many had feared a potential influx of cases from neighbouring Iran, where 1,685 people have died after contracting the COVID-19 respiratory illness, according to the latest official toll Sunday.
Iraq first shut its 1,500-kilometre border with Iran about a month ago and deployed troops to enforce the decision.
It has logged a total of 233 coronavirus cases and recorded 20 deaths, but there are concerns that many more are going undetected as only 2,000 people of the country’s 40-million population have been tested so far.
Authorities have struggled to enforce previous curfews.
On Saturday, tens of thousands of Shiite pilgrims turned out in Baghdad and other cities in the south of the country to commemorate the death of a revered Muslim imam.
And Moqtada Sadr, a populist cleric with a cult-like following, has continued to hold mass prayers in his hometown of Kufa south of Baghdad and in the capital’s densely-populated Sadr City.
Health Minister Jaafar Allawi sent Sadr a personal letter in a bid to convince him to call off his weekly prayers, which present an enormous contamination risk.
Allawi has expressed fears that a wider outbreak would overwhelm the country’s health system, which already faces shortages in equipment, medicine and staff after decades of conflict and little investment by national authorities.
Last week, he said he had not been granted his request for $5 million in emergency funds from the federal government.
Iraq is OPEC’s second-biggest crude producer, and falling oil prices have put the country in a bind as more than 90 percent of its state budget is funded by oil revenues.
Ghana on Monday closed all schools and universities and suspended public events to stop the spread of coronavirus as a string of African nations imposed tighter restrictions to stem the spread of the global pandemic.
President Nana Akufo-Addo announced in an address to the West African nation that the authorities were shutting schools and universities “until further notice”.
Public gatherings — including conferences, religious services, sports matches and political rallies — have also been suspended for four weeks, he said.
Ghana on Sunday announced it would start barring entry to the country from Tuesday for any non-Ghanaian citizen or resident “who, within the last 14 days, has been to a country that has recorded at least 200 cases”.
The move came as the authorities reported a rise in the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 from two to six, with the new cases all arrivals from abroad.
Numerous nations in sub-Saharan Africa — including Senegal, Kenya and South Africa — have begun imposing entry restrictions or closing schools as the continent scrambles to halt the spread of the virus.
Professor Rasheed made the disclosure at the annual retreats for Vice-Chancellors of all universities in the country which held between October 28 and November 5 at the NUC Headquarters in Abuja.
He explained that the fake professors’ details were posted on the commission’s website, forcing it to send the names to the various universities for verification.
The NUC scribe urged the vice-chancellors to delegate desk officers to check the list of professors in their respective universities before uploading the same on the provided website.
He, however, commended them for their cooperation with the NUC Strategy Advisory Committee (STRADVCOM) which published the Directory of Full Professors in the Nigeria University System (NUS and Statistical Digest of the NUS 2017-2018, among others.
Professor Rasheed announced that the updated version of those documents would be published by December 2019, adding that the essence was to make the NUS very visible both locally and internationally.
He gave assurance that the statistical digest would be updated every first quarter of the year.
Stressing that the fight against fake professors was a collective responsibility, he asked the vice-chancellors to make sure they have accurate statistics of staff, students, and other components in their respective universities off-hand.
He revealed that a lot of anomalies were found in private universities, including the issue of someone who had barely taught for two years being awarded professorship.
Consequently, the NUC scribe appealed to the vice-chancellors to notify the commission about any fake professor in their respective universities and their environs.
He thanked them for compelling professors in the irrespective universities to upload their curricula vitae on the website which was used in the compilation of the directory of full professors in the Nigeria University System (NUS) and had helped in identifying the fake professors.
The retreat was organised in three separate meetings with federal, state and private universities’ vice-chancellors respectively.
It was aimed at rubbing minds with the university bosses on their responsibilities in the NUS, as well as discussing their challenges with a view to addressing and finding solutions to them.
The NUC scribe assured vice-chancellors of federal universities that the government would continue to ensure that technocrats and elder statesmen were appointed as Chairmen and Pro-Chancellors of Governing Councils of federal universities.
The Federal Government is currently holding a meeting with members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over the nationwide strike by members of the union.
ASUU had gone on strike, August 14, after the National President of the union, Dr Biodun Ogunyemi, made the announcement, at a meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUU shutting down all academic activities in all institutions nationwide.
This has led to a total shutdown academic activities in all institutions nationwide.
The last conciliation meeting with the striking lecturers was held on September 8, 2017 when ASUU promised to bring the decisions of its members on the new offers from the FG to the minister of labour.
The Minister of Labour, Chris Nigige before the meeting said he hopes that the meeting will put finishing touches to the grey areas, and the strike called off.
The Federal Government has uncovered over 15,000 ghost pensioners from its payroll, hence saving over 300 million Naira on a monthly basis.
The Executive Secretary of the Pension Transitional Arrangement Directorate, Mrs Sharon Ikeazor, disclosed this on Tuesday while addressing reporters in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
Mrs Ikeazor noted that the directorate is conducting a verification exercise for pensioners across the country.
She expressed optimism that more will be weeded out when the exercise is concluded in the South-west region in July 2017.
The Executive Secretary further revealed that the agency is working with the Ministry of Finance to recover over 19 billion Naira legacy funds in the custody of insurance companies from Ministries, Department and Agencies, as well as universities and colleges of education.
Governor Kashim Shettima says the residents of Borno State in northeast Nigeria have earned the respect of the world.
Governor Shettima made the statement during the 22nd convocation ceremony of the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) held in the state capital.
The Governor also commended both staff and students of the University for their courage, despite the security challenges in Borno State.
“The people of Borno and anyone living in Maiduguri, including the students of this university have earned the respect of the world.
“To live in the circumstances under which you lived in the past few years with bombings and shootings and insecurity, and to have the courage to continue to come and teach and learn, and continue with your lives is indeed a remarkable achievement for any people,” he said.
Governor Shettima and his Niger State counterpart, Abubakar Bello, who are both alumni of UNIMAID, renewed the hopes of undergraduates and the newly inducted alumni from their personal experiences.
The Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission, Professor Julius Okojie, who represented President Muhammadu Buhari, urged Nigerian universities to intensify research.
In his speech, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Ibrahim Njodi, appealed for sustained support and funding of the institution to improve learning standards.
The university also conferred honorary degrees on the Chancellor of the University, Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, and Professor Russel Galen while former Head of State, late General Murtala Mohammed, bagged a posthumous Doctor of Laws award.
In acceptance remark, the Emir of Kano saluted the courage of the new graduates and the university community for defying insecurity threat to pursue their goals.
The University is graduating a total of 37,259 students spread across five sets of 2009/2010 and 2014/2015 academic sessions from 12 colleges and faculties, distance learning centre and 23 affiliated colleges. In all 172 students obtained first class degrees.
According to officials, UNIMAID’s 22nd combined convocation was a fallout of the improved security situation in Borno State.
The 21st convocation ceremony was held in October 2010 as the university could not hold any convocation due to the lingering security challenge in the region.
The Federal Executive Council in Nigeria has approved two new private universities. They are the Edwin Clerk University in Delta State and the Hezekia University in Umudim, Imo State.
Also on Wednesday, President Goodluck Jonathan swore in two new Federal Commissioners to man the Civil Service and Federal Character Commissions.
Briefing reporters after the council meeting, the Minister of Information Patricia Akwashiki and Minister of National Planning, Mr Abubakar Sulaiman, said that the Federal Government, under Goodluck Jonathan, is still fully in charge and would not tolerate any paralleled government by the incoming administration of General Mohammadu Buhari.
The council meeting started with the swearing in of the two new commissioners, Ambassador Toye Olofuntoyi, who is the commissioner in the Civil Service Commission while Ambassador Abdullahi Shinkaffi is the Commissioner in the Federal Character Commission.
The Federal Executive Council said it considered as uncharitable some of the utterances said to be coming from Buhari’s party as efforts are being made to ensure a smooth transition programme on May 29.
The Council maintained that whatever was the outcome of the election should be in the national interest of Nigerians and how to enhance and promote it at all times.
Fillers coming from the Federal Government suggest that resolution may be in sight for the ongoing industrial action embarked on by Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in Nigeria.
Rising from a meeting between the President and the leadership of ASUU, the Minister of Labour, Emeka Wogu who spoke to Channels Television State House Correspondent on behalf of the Federal Government said that considerable progress has been made and that Nigerians should expect a positive reaction from the striking lecturers.
The meeting which lasted 13 hours raised hopes among Nigerians, and there were expectations that the President stepping in personally would yield an immediate result, but ASUU President, Nasir Fagge insisted that it was too soon for the union to make any statement until members are briefed on the meeting.
“We now have a message from Mr. President that we are going to take to our members, and we are expecting that our members will respond appropriately to the message of Mr. President.”
When asked about the possibility of going back to the classrooms, Mr. Faggie said “that is up to our members.”
It will be recalled that the legislative arm of the government had stepped into the 4 month old ASUU crisis by appealing to the lectures to embrace a dialogue with the government towards finding a “win-win” resolution to it.
Senate President, David Mark remarked that “national interest is at stake as students have been out of classrooms for about 4 months now and that is not in the interest of anybody. We are not happy, the parents are not happy and the Government is not happy…it’s only proper that we have it resolved as quickly as possible.”
President Goodluck Jonathan has met with the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) as part of the ongoing efforts to end the industrial action by the lecturers.
The meeting which took place at the Presidential Villa came on the heels of several failed attempts to get the lecturers to return to the classrooms.
Channels Television State House Correspondent, Chukwuma Onukekwusi, reported that President Jonathan gave the assurance that all the issues must be resolved immediately, and that Nigerian students must go back to school.
The meeting also had in attendance, Minister of Labour, Emeka Wogu, Minister of Education, Yesom Wike, President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, NLC, Mr. Abdulwaheed Omar and the Chairman of the National Universities Commission, Prof. Julius Okojie.
The ASUU team was led by its President, Nasir Fagge.