Osun: Muslim Female Workers Insist On Hijab For Data Capturing

Osun: Muslim Female Workers Insist On Hijab For Data CapturingThe Osun State Governor, Mr Rauf Aregbesola, has been asked to call the agent recruited to do the data capturing for workers in the state to order.

The agent, Chams Ltd, a private firm has been accused of denying female Muslims their “right to freedom of religion and dressing”.

Those who spoke to Channels TV correspondent alleged that Chams was forcing them to remove their head cover for data capturing in the ongoing screening exercise, embarked upon by the state.

One of those who claimed to have been a victim (name withheld), said she was asked to open her head which she declined and her refusal to remove the hijab made the agency deny her the right to do the screening.

“I explained to them that I’ve been doing screening and I’ve never been forced to open my hijab,” she said.

Another woman who claimed to be a staff of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, LAUTECHTH, stated that she was sent away because she refused to remove her hijab.

According to her, “Some sisters complied and they opened their hijab but because I did my National Identity Card and Voters Card, nobody asked me to open my hijab. That is why I refused.

“They didn’t attend to me till I left after 5PM on Monday. I think the Governor should call them to order and stop humiliating us.”

Another staff of the state government, who simply identified herself as Rahmat, described a similar scenario.

“I don’t know why I would compromise my religion because of mere data capturing that I’ve been doing for a long time.

“I believed that Chams was appointed by the government to screen and not to humiliate Muslims. I would not take it easy if they insist that I should remove my hijab because I will still go back,” Rahmat stated.

Meanwhile, Chams has refused to react on the matter as their boss said he has reported the matter to the appropriate authority.

He asked his workers to direct our correspondent to the Finance Building in the state government office.

However, when our correspondent got to the office of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance, he sent one of the staff that he could not react to the issue.

It was gathered that the LAUTECH Muslim community has taken over the issue as their Chairman reportedly said that they were ready to take up the case officially if the complaints persist.

Meanwhile, the head of Chams Ltd in Osogbo has also promised that the Muslims and others would be allowed to do the capturing without uncovering their hair.

INEC Says Ballot Papers Arrive States On Wednesday

Ballot papersThe Independent national Electoral Commission, INEC, says that ballot papers for Saturday’s presidential and National Assembly elections are to be moved from the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN vaults on Wednesday March 25.

The Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Mr. Kayode Idowu, says that that already, all the non-sensitive materials have been distributed while the ballot papers have been kept in the vaults of the Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN) branches across the country.

The INEC Spokesman added that the ballot papers for the different positions and locations had been customised in such a way that it would be difficult to be faked by anybody.

The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega has also revealed that about 56.7 million voter cards had been collected.

Professor Jega, who hosted a stakeholders meeting on Tuesday, said that the voters card collected represents about 82% of the registered electorate by the close of distribution ahead of the March 28 election.

2015: Go Get Your Voters Card To Kick Out PDP – Buhari

Muhammadu Buhari.Ahead of the 2015 general elections, a former Head of State and a Presidential aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday urged members of the party to ensure they obtain their permanent voters card, as doing so is the only way they can vote the ruling PDP government out of power.

General Buhari gave the advice at the governorship declaration of the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir El-rufai, in Kaduna.

Thousands of APC members and supporters trooped out to this trade fair complex as early as 9:00am to witness the declaration of intention by the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory. The arrival of General Buhari at the ceremony elicited this crowd of supporters who saw it as a major boost to El-rufai’s governorship ambition.

While he publicly endorsed El-rufai for governor of Kaduna State on the platform of APC, General Buhari also noted that the problem of Nigeria required good leaders at all levels of government to be able to solve them. he declared that only an APC government was capable of transforming the country.

The former Head of State further described El-rufai as the best person to transform Kaduna State from its present condition.

He also lamented the state of insecurity and unemployment in the country, and however appealed to APC members to elect him as their candidate for the 2015 election.

Addressing the huge crowd at the ceremony, El-rufai promised to provide true public service with fairness, equity and justice in order to transform the state from its present level.

He also assured them that his administration would make the security of lives and property a priority by identifying the causes of intolerance and communal violence and promised to rebuild and expand water supply, rural electrification and roads infrastructure across the state.

He told the gathering that he had consulted widely with all categories of people including traditional rulers and opinion leaders which informed his decision to contest for the governorship seat.

Voters Registration: Kwara, Abuja Citizens Complain Over Irregularities

voters cardThere have been several complaints against the continuous voters registration by the Independent National Electoral Commission in Kwara State by voters and political parties.

They are complaining of inadequate personnel and faulty machines for the exercise, just as it is about to end on Monday.

The INEC, however, blamed the large turnout on wrong people who are not supposed to be there and insisted that two personnel are enough for a unit.

The state chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Iyiola Oyedepo, noted that non preparation by the INEC could be responsible for the lapses of inadequate and faulty machines which he noted could lead to majority of Kwarans being disenfranchised.

He emphasised that the development had resulted in mass crowd of people being made to face rigorous and cumbersome registration with one machine.

He also lamented that the challenges had resulted into crisis and violence in some areas and urged the INEC to correct the situation by extension of the exercise and drafting of more police personnel to the centres.

In Abuja, residents of the nation’s capital trying to take part in the continuous voter’s registration are complaining about what they called lack of preparedness by the INEC.

Hundreds of residents, who trooped out to the few centres for registration over the past few days, have complained of inadequate equipment and personnel for the registration exercise.

They are demanding that the INEC should extend the registration process and release more equipment and staff to prevent many Nigerians from being disenfranchised in next year’s general election.

At the L.E.A. Primary School in Wuse Zone Two area of Abuja, one of the few centres in the city where residents of the nation capital city are expected to register and pick up their temporary voters’ cards, some eligible voters waiting to be registers expressed dissatisfaction with the process.

With one day to go, the crowd at the centre is overwhelming for the INEC ad-hoc staff and so are the complaints.

Besides the persistent system failure causing endless hours of queuing, the absence of adequate registration centres is also a matter of great concern as residents call for an extension of the exercise.

Reacting, the Deputy Director Voters Education and Publicity for INEC in Kwara State, Jacob Ayanda explained that the allegation of faulty machines should not arise. He explained that the equipment, though used some years ago, had been serviced with several back-up in case of breaking down.

INEC Promises To Distribute PVCs To 1.7 Million Anambra Voters

 

INEC LOGO4 The Aambra State Public Relations Officer of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mr. Frank Egbo, has assured the 1.7 million voters in the state that their Permanent Voters Card (PVC) will be given to them at their various registration centres.

The issuance of permanent voters card exercise in some monitored registration centers in some parts of Anambra state witnessed a large turnout of electorate who were eager to have in their possession their power of bargain during elections even as the state government announced the day as public holiday.

At Ward 5, Agulu Awka, electorate were either busy checking their names on the list or waiting to collect their permanent voters card having found their names on the list pasted on the wall.

Some of them gave the assessment of the exercise in terms of turnout and INEC’s effort in creating awareness for the exercise, noting that this experience would be a reflection of what will obtain in 2015.

At Amawbia Ward 1, people were frantically searching for their names on the list while the electoral officers were yet to begin the issuance of the cards.

One of the registrants in the ward said the ward has eight polling units and the electoral officers are sorting out the issues affecting the commencement of distribution of the cards.

He, however, said the people received adequate sensitization both from INEC and the leaders in the grassroots.

Away from the capital territory, at Aguluzoigbo in Anaocha local government area, the early arrival of the INEC officials and the large turnout of people were impressive.

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, (APGA), Mr Victor Umeh, who collected his voters card commended INEC for their efficiency and improved service delivery in the exercise.

At the state INEC office, Mr Egbo said the large participation was consequent upon the level of awareness created by INEC for the exercise. He also said 1.7 million voters were registered in the state and their cards are available for collection.

 

INEC To Appeal Court Judgment On Deregistration Nullification

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has vowed to prosecute over 93,000 people in Anambra state involved in multiple voters registration ahead of the state governorship election.

The chairman of the commission, Professor Attahiru Jega told a news conference in Abuja that the prosecution of those found to have done multiple registrations would serve as a deterrent to other people with the same motives in other states.

While reacting to the ruling by a federal high court in Abuja which voided the deregistration of 28 political parties, Professor Jega assured that the battle is not over, that the court cannot overturn the deregistration decision and plans are in the pipeleine  to appeal the court judgment which overturned it’s deregistration of some political parties in the country.

And to check electoral fraud, the INEC chairman said the introduction of the permanent voter cards before the end of the year is one strategy that the INEC is deploying to further checkmate electoral fraud in the system ahead of the 2015 elections.

FG approves N2.6 billion for printing of voters’ cards

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved N2.6 billion for the printing of 40 million permanent voters’ cards.

Temporary Voters Card issued by INEC at registration points nationwide

The 40 million voters’ cards, which when issued will allow voters to participate in elections irrespective of their location in the country, are expected to be ready by November.

According to the government’s calculations, the unit cost of the electronically enabled voters’ cards is N65.00.

The printing contract for the new cards was awarded to ACT Technologies Limited.

The printing of 40 million Permanent voters’ cards which is the first phase of the project is to replace the temporary cards issued to voters at the point of registration in 2011.

The Council meeting was presided over by the President, Goodluck Jonathan, who also directed all ministries, departments and agencies to list out their procurement needs for goods to be procured locally in this year’s budget, in order to prepare local manufacturers on their demands.

Briefing state house correspondent, the Minister of Information Labaran Maku said the approval for the provision of those cards for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is to instil transparency in the electioneering process.

Mr Maku said that the move is in line with the governments’ efforts in reducing electoral frauds and cases of multiple voting.

He said the process will continue in 2013 as an upgrade on the card printing process which will contain data of eligible voters in a micro-chip that will be accommodated in the card.