Kenya Begins 3 Day National Mourning After 4 Day Terrorist Siege

Kenya has begun a three-day national mourning period following the end of the four-day siege by Islamist militant group, al –Shabaab, on Nairobi’s Westgate shopping centre.

The siege began on Saturday when members of the terrorist group stormed the shopping mall, throwing grenades and shooting at shoppers, including children.

The siege however came to an end after security forces took control of the mall on Tuesday.

In a televised address, President Uhuru Kenyatta said six members of the security forces were among 67 people who had died.

Declaring the siege over, he said five militants had been killed and 11 other suspects arrested.

In his address, Kenyatta praised the response of ordinary Kenyans which he described as “exemplary and overwhelming”.

“We have ashamed and defeated our attackers,” he said. “Kenya has stared down evil and triumphed.”

Although, he did not confirm earlier reports that several of the attackers were American and British, he said that “intelligence reports had suggested that a British woman and two or three American citizens may have been involved in the attack”.

“We cannot confirm the details at present. Forensic experts are working to ascertain the nationalities of the terrorists.”

He promised that justice will be served. “These cowards will meet justice, as will their accomplices and patrons, wherever they are.”

As the clearing of the mall continues, the number of dead is expected to rise.

Several bodies, including those of some attackers, are thought to be trapped under rubble after three floors of the building collapsed following a blaze.

Kenya’s Standard newspaper reported that several bodies were recovered from the building on Tuesday evening.