Charly Boy, “Resume Or Resign” Protesters Attacked In Abuja

Members of the group Concerned Nigerians who have been protesting in Nigeria’s capital Abuja, demanding that President Muhammadu Buhari should either resume or resign have been attacked.

They were attacked on Tuesday morning when they took their protest to the Wuse Market in a bid to create more awareness about their campaign and get more Nigerians to support them.

Upon their arrival at the market, the “resume or resign” protesters were confronted and attacked by some people who are opposed to their action, forcing policemen to disperse the crowd.

But the co-convener of the group, Deji Adeyanju, in a statement accused those that confronted them of being members of the pro-Buhari protesters.

He said, “Members of our movement -#ResumeOrResign – were attacked by known supporters of President Muhammadu Buhari while on a visit to Wuse Market.

“The attack was spearheaded by a member of the pro-Buhari support group that meets at the Unity Fountain. This attack was completely unprovoked.

“This is the third in a series of attack carried out against us using a combination of policemen and paid hoodlums.”

The protest, started by the group on Monday last week, has been dismissed by the Presidency, which insists that their demands are illegal and unknown to the law.

A day after it started, the protest took an unpleasant turn as the police fired tear gas at the protesters to disperse them, saying the protest was getting out of hand and could lead to a breakdown of law and order.

By Thursday a rival group of protesters appeared on the scene, rejecting the position of the Concerned Nigerians group and expressing support for the President.

This led to tension in the city as both groups of protesters engaged each other in a war of wards.

In his statement today, Adeyanju said the attempts to suppress the “resume or resign” protest was saddening.

He, however, stressed that the protesters won’t be discouraged.

“We reiterate commitment to remaining resolute in demanding full disclosure regarding the state of health of the President. It is the right of the Nigerian people to know the true state of health of the man they voted into power and for whose health care they are paying,” he said.

“Our right to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly are constitutional rights that we will not allow to be abrogated.”

 

 

 

 

Niger State Govt. Declares Emergency On Health Sector

Niger State Govt. Declares Emergency On Health SectorWorried by the state of health facilities in the state, the Niger state government on Thursday declared a state of emergency on the health sector with a view to repositioning the sector for better service delivery.

To this end, it has earmarked the sum of two billion Naira to upgrade five out of the 16 general hospitals in the state which have been left unattended to for the past ten years in the first phase of the project.

Briefing journalists after the State Executive Council meeting in Minna, the State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mustapha Jibrin, said that the government inherited what he called “moribund” health facilities across the state from the immediate past administration in the state.

He disclosed that the immediate past government in the state expended well over N5billion to build three general hospital in Gulu, Nasko and Wuse areas of the state, but only the one in Wuse was functional.

Those that will benefit from the first phase of the hospital rehabilitation project include the Suleja, Kontagora, Mokwa, Kagara and Minna general hospitals, while all the remaining ones would be attended to in the second phase of the project.

The Commissioner further disclosed that following the inadequate health personnel in the state-owned hospitals, and to ensure quick service delivery, the state government has employed an additional 40 medical doctors, 70 nurses and 10 hospital workers since the inception of the present administration.

He described the current situation where one doctor attends to nine patients as unacceptable.

He said that the state government has approved the immediate payment of the 100% salary structure for all categories of all health workers being enjoyed by their counterpart in other states across the country.

Nyanya Blast: Victims Lament Alleged Government’s Neglect

nyanya blastThe Federal Capital Territory’s administration has  debunked claims of government’s neglect by victims of the Nyanya bombing which occurred on April 14 this year.

The Special Adviser on Media to the FCT Minister, Nosike Ogbuenyi says that they have continued to pay medical bills for those who patronize them.

“We have our hospitals, general hospitals  in Wuse, Asokoro, Maitama, Nyanya, we advise people as much as possible, if we have primary care in terms of emergencies outside these hospitals,  once we are stabilized you can come to these hospitals because this is where we have our personnel to get proper treatment”

While some of the victims complained of inadequate facilities in these hospitals and requested for a transfer to another hospital.

The victims of the blast had earlier this month appealed to the federal government to assist them to continue with their medical treatment.

According to them, government’s response to their plights stopped months ago, after the initial response in the first few days of the explosion.

Investigation Is Still Ongoing To Uncover Those Behind Emab Plaza Bombing- Ogar

Marilyn OgarThe spokespersons of the State Security Service and Nigeria Police Force, Marilyn Ogar and Frank Mba respectively on Thursday said investigations are ongoing to uncover those behind the bombing that killed 21 people in a popuar shopping plaza located in Wuse, Abuja on Wednesday.

They also encouraged the public to avail them with information that will help in their investigations.

They told journalists in a joint briefing at the scene of the blast that they will subsequently bring suspects to the public after investigations are completed.

At least 21 persons were confirmed dead and 17 others injured in an explosion that rocked Emab Plaza in Abuja on Wednesday.

The explosion came barely two months after two explosions occurred at the Nyanya Motor Park in the outskirt of Nigeria’s capital city.

The bomb, concealed in an Abuja Taxi, went off at the popular shopping centre after it was dropped by an okada rider.

An eyewitness told Channels Television that the bomb was dropped at the exit point of the plaza, close to a mini taxi park where passengers are picked by drivers.

 

Indian envoy advices Nigeria to improve on healthcare delivery

The Indian government has advised Nigeria, to improve on the standard of health care facilities in order to ease the difficulties faced by Nigerians who go abroad for medical attention.

The Indian high commissioner to Nigeria, Mahesh Sachdev made this known over the weekend at the maiden Free Medical/Health Outreach provided by Primus Super Specialty Hospital, Abuja in collaboration with the Health and Human Services Secretariat of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA).

Mr Sachdev said, it is inhuman and risky taking sick people to far distances or even when the person is in a critical state is dangerous.

He said: “I think I could mention that primus initiative was taken by the chairman of the Primus Group in light of the large number of Nigerians going all the way to India to attend to her hospital medical facilities.

“It is difficult for a sick person to travel, and it is even more difficult when you are seriously sick to travel that distance, and it is only humane for us to endeavor to come closer to the patients as possible.

“So by bringing specialty care to Nigeria, we have approached the problem in a different and humane way. I think the success of the hospital in that past one and half year is a witness to this strategy.”

He further appreciated the efforts of Primus Hospital and FCTA Health on the free medical care being provided to the people of Wuse market.

Speaking also, the Secretary, Health and Human Services Secretariat of FCTA, Demola Onakomaiya encouraged the people of Wuse Market to make best of the improved medical facilities in the Nation’s Capital including 12 Secondary and 217 Primary Healthcare Centers.

Mr Onakomaiya added that the aim to create awareness on the importance of having regular check ups.