The Jigawa casualties add to the increasing death toll from the disease across Nigeria. Other states that have reported deaths from cholera in the past few weeks include Enugu, Benue, Plateau, and Bayelsa.
Over 2,000 cases have been recorded in Jigawa with the state Capital, Dutse, and Hadejia local government areas the worst affected.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health in Jigawa, Salisu Mu’azu on Wednesday, during a press briefing blamed open defecation for the spread of the disease.
Jakusko local government area in Yobe State shares border with Jigawa and Bauchi states which have recently witnessed the outbreak.
Musa Mingyi in Damaturu and Blessing Tunoh in Maiduguri
The Chief of Army Staff, Major-General Farouk Yahaya on Saturday said the army is committed to ending the insurgency in the North-East.
The army chief made the comment while on an operation visit to frontline troops of Sector 2, Joint Taskforce of the Nigeria Army ‘Operation Hadin Kai’ in Damaturu, Yobe State.
Major-General Yahaya said ending the insurgency will allow the army move on to other things.
The North-East insurgency has roiled on for over a decade, spearheaded by terrorist groups such as Boko Haram and now ISWAP.
“We want to conclude this operation in the North-East,” Major-General Yahaya said, “so that we can do other things; and that is the drive now.”
After inspecting the Quarter Guard in his honour, the Chief of Army Staff was received by the Commander of the Sector 2, Brigadier-General Adamu Nura, alongside other senior officers of the command.
Addressing the troops, the Chief of Army Staff said the purpose of his visit was to familiarise himself with the challenges faced by the troops and ensure those challenges are tackled.
He pledged to work with other military branches, host communities, and sister agencies to restore peace in the region.
“We have been recording some modest success in all areas and we intend to sustain that drive,” he said.
Major-General Yahaya was last at the command on the entourage of the immediate past late Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Ibrahim Attahiru on March 14.
Earlier on Friday, Major-General Yahaya had visited the Shehu of Borno, HRH Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai Elkanemi to seek the collaboration of the traditional institution, as part of strategies to end the insurgency.
The army chief, at the meeting, said such collaborations have paid off in the past.
The Shehu said his institution was committed to supporting the military in the area of intel gathering but warned military authorities against revealing the source of their information like they did in the past.
This unprofessional conduct of early commanders of the counter insurgency war had endangered many leading to mistrust for the military, the traditional ruler said.
The Shehu also said the COAS should prioritize building on past successes by keeping remote roads safe for farmers’ ease of passage.
Troops overpower bandits in Zamfara
Meanwhile, in a statement signed on Saturday, army spokesman, Brigadier-General Onyema Nwachukwu said troops of 8 Division have neutralised bandits operating around Mayanchi-Dogo Karfe and Fagantama villages in Talata Marafa local government area of Zamfara State.
The troops were said to have come under fire from the bandits but were able to overwhelm the gunmen and recovered one PKT rifle, a large cache of ammunition, and a motorcycle.
Elsewhere in the state, troops were also said to have overpowered five more bandits in Bingi village, Bungudu local government area.
Reacting to the feat, Major-General Farouk Yahaya encouraged the troops to sustain the aggressive posture in order to defeat all criminal elements operating in the North-West and other parts of the country.
He also appealed to communities in the North-West to support the soldiers with useful information to help them in their operations.
Yobe State Governor, Mai Mala Buni, has condemned the recent attack on the Geidam community by Boko Haram insurgents in the state.
He appealed to all residents in the state to expose every bad egg in the communities, even if they were their relations.
Governor Buni made the plea at a special security meeting with government officials, traditional rulers, and security agencies on Tuesday at Government House in Damaturu, the state capital.
“As leaders and citizens in our respective communities, we must volunteer credible and timely information to the security agencies to enhance proactive action in curbing the menace and havoc caused by the terrorists.
“We must expose every bad egg in our communities even if they are our relations or biological children,” the governor told the meeting.
He noted that the attack on Geidam community has left thousands of people displaced and properties worth millions of naira destroyed.
Governor Buni blamed the influx of insurgents on the geographical location of Geidam, sitting close to the fringes of Lake Chad and bordering the Niger Republic and Damasak, a town in Borno State.
He, however, assured the residents of the security of their lives and properties, and urged them to collaborate with the government by providing credible information for the security agencies to curb imminent attacks by the insurgents.
“The sad resurgence of Boko Haram attacks on Geidam, in which some lives were lost with men, women, children, young and old forced out of their homes and displaced in this holy month of Ramadan, is condemnable, crude and grossly inhumane,” the governor decried.
Geidam community was attacked on Friday last week by the suspected Boko Haram insurgents who later hoisted their flags in some parts of the community.
Although the Nigerian Army insisted that it had killed many of the insurgents and recovered weapons from them, many residents have deserted the community.
Boko Haram has hoisted its flag in some parts of the Geidam community, in Yobe state.
This comes two days after the terrorists reportedly attacked Geidam local government area of the state.
Geidam is the hometown of the acting Inspector General of Police, Mr. Usman Alkali Baba.
Some of the residents confirmed to Channels Television that, the insurgents have hoisted their flags in some parts of their community, moving from house to house preaching to them to accept their ideology.
“Investigation is however ongoing to unravel the network of local informants whose nefarious activities have endangered troops on clearance operations around the fringes of Timbuktu Triangle.”
The army spokesman said the unfortunate sabotage of troops movement by Ari and his accomplices made it possible for the terrorists to attack the rear element of troops on patrol.
He stated that troops from the Tactical Headquarters of 27 Task Force Brigade and Army Super Camp 3 Buratai repelled the attack, stressing that their own troops suffered some casualties.
Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff has encouraged troops of Operation Tura Takaibango to keep their fighting spirit up and to remain dedicated in the effort to flush out the remnants of the terrorists as quickly as possible.
He charged them not to relent even in the face of gross unpatriotic acts of some locals who are snitching on their movements and positions.
The COAS also admonished citizens to as a matter of patriotic duty, avail the troops of credible and timely information that will help them flush out the adversaries.
No fewer than 700 cases of Gender-Based Violence (GBV) were reported across Yobe State in the last two years.
The Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr Mohammed Gana, disclosed this on Sunday at an event to train doctors, nurses, and midwives on clinical management of rape and intimate partner in Damaturu, the state capital.
“Based on the data we have across the six Sexual Assault Referral Centres of the state, over 700 cases of GBV, primarily either rape cases or intimate partner have been reported,” said Gana who was represented at the event by Abdullahi Danchuwa, the Director of Nursing Services at the State Ministry of Health.
He commended the World Health Organisation for supporting the state government with developmental policies and programmes, provision of capacity building to health workers, as well as provision of medical consumables across the state.
The commissioner, however, stressed the need to put in place more collaborations with the government, parents, and donor agencies, in order to end the increasing rate of gender-based violence in Yobe.
On his part, the WHO’s Emergency Manager (Health Emergencies Programme), Muhammad Shafiq, noted that the agency was putting measures in place to ensure survivors were well taken care of.
Shafiq, who was also represented by the National Consultant on GBV, Dr Inigbehe Oyinloye, explained that the training was organised to build the capacity of the healthcare providers during emergencies.
He said, “We carried out some assessments in Yobe health facilities that are providing Gender-Based Violence services and realised that among the health workers, there was poor capacity building.
“In order to close the gap and ensure the health sector is strengthened to provide these services, we are equipping them to be able to have holistic care for the survivors.”
Some of the participants at the training commended the organisers of the event, saying they now have better experience in managing GBV survivors.
They also appealed to the state government to assent to the Violence Against Persons’ Prohibition Bill that was passed into law by members of the Yobe State House of Assembly in 2020, to ensure quick dispensation of justice for the survivors.
The Chief Judge of Yobe state, who doubles as the Chairman Administration of Criminal Justice, Justice Gumna Kashim Kaigama on Thursday freed two inmates as well granted bail to three others on awaiting trial in different Custodial centres in the state.
According to a statement made available from the office of the Chief Judge, the inmates were released based on the powers conferred on the Chief Judge by Section (1) of the Criminal Justice Special Provision Act, Cap 79, Laws of the Federation.
Those freed are Umaru Abdullahi from Potiskum Medium Security Custodial Centre who spent more than five months, 20 days without trial and Yahaya Karau-Karau of Gashu’a Correctional Centre.
Yahaya had spent three years in custody without trial and no witness to testify on his case.
Two female and a male who were also detained without trial at Gashua Correctional Centre have been granted bail by the Chief Judge.
Justice Kaigama who was on the spot assessment of Correctional Centres assured the inmates of speedy trials and quick dispensation of justice.
The number of casualties is still unknown at the time of this report, however efforts to contact the Acting Assistant Director, Army Public Relations of the Sector 2 Operation Lafiya Dole in Damaturu, Lieutenant Kennedy Anyanwu proved abortive.
Katarko community which is 18 kilometers south of Damaturu the state capital, has been under attack over 10 times.
Rise In School Abductions
Since December, more than three schools in different states have been attacked and over 600 students have been kidnapped.
From Katsina through Niger to Zamfara states, bandits have struck schools, forcing some state governments in the north to shutdown boarding schools.
The Federal Government has in reaction vowed to tackle the menace, insisting it would not allow bandits to shut down the education sector, but the criminals have continued their acts with attacks on schools in Kaduna.
On Monday, bandits attacked another school in the Rema area of Kaduna State, north-west Nigeria.
During the attack, some pupils and teachers were feared to be abducted.
The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs in the state, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed this in a statement on Monday.
He noted that the primary school attacked by the bandits is located at the Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of the state.
However, in a later development, Mr Aruwan while giving an update on the incident said three teachers were abducted and no pupil was kidnapped or declared missing after a headcount was conducted.
The latest attack followed the attempts by bandits to attack three schools in the state – at the secondary and tertiary levels.
Over one million, three hundred and sixty-five registered voters and six political parties in 178 wards of the 17 local government councils are expected to participate in the local government elections in Yobe State.
Briefing Channels Television on Saturday, the Chairman of the State Independent Electoral Commission, Mamman Mohammed said 3,425 presiding officers and clerks, as well as 3,428 security personnel, will man the polling units.
Out of the total 1,714 polling units, seven political wards in Geidam, three in Tarmuwa, two in Bursari, one in Damaturu and five in Gujba local government councils have been relocated to safer areas as a result of security threats.
The Nigeria Police Force in the state has also placed a restriction on vehicular movement between 7 am to 6 pm today Saturday, February 27, 2021 to enable security operatives and other officials conduct a hitch-free, fair and peaceful election.
According to the police spokesman, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim, vehicles on essential services are excepted from the restriction.
Four Mobile Police officers have been confirmed dead on Tuesday after suspected Boko Haram insurgents invaded the Bayamari community in the Bursari local government council of Yobe State.
The Police spokesman, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim confirmed to journalists that two civilians had also died of suspected trauma as a result of a heavy gun battle between the security personnel and the attackers.
Although the military is yet to confirm the attack, a local source reveals that a boarding Secondary School located in the community was also razed down by the suspected Boko Haram insurgents but no student was harmed.
Bayamari is 130 kilometers north of Damaturu the state capital which has not been under attack in the past four years despite the several attacks on its environs.