Advertisement

Boko Haram Leader, Shekau Claims Baga Massacre

Channels Television  
Updated January 21, 2015

ShekauThe leader of the terrorist group, Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, in a new video has claimed responsibility for the Baga massacre, which claimed several lives earlier this month.

The man claiming to be Abubakar Shekau said people were killed “as our Lord instructed us”, threatening more raids. He mocked nearby countries’ leaders.

Reports have it that as many as 2,000 people died in the raid but Nigeria’s government has disputed, putting the toll at just 150 people.

Shekau says “We killed the people of Baga,” in the 35-minute video, quoted by AFP news agency. He also challenged the Armed Forces to attack his group.

The video displayed an array of weapons believed to have been taken from a military base in Doron Baga, a neighboring town, believed to have been attacked by the group as well.

Boko Haram have seized control of towns and villages in north-east Nigeria and has begun threatening neighboring countries.

The video not yet verified, but correspondents say it was in typical boko haram style, with the group’s leader in combat uniforms and surrounded by masked fighters

A businessman from Baga told the BBC that people were killed like animals. He also said he fled the town along with 5,000 others.

Women and children were said to have been taken captive.