Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, said this while briefing State House correspondents on Monday.
Mr Adesina did not give more details.
The new appointments are:
1. Major-General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin – Chief of Defence Staff
2. Major-General T.Y. Buratai – Chief of Army Staff
3. Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas – Chief of Naval Staff
4. Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar – Chief of Air Staff
5. Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan – Chief of Defence Intelligence
6. Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd.) – National Security Adviser
The new Service Chiefs will hold their appointments in an acting capacity until confirmed by the Senate.
There has been a surge in the spate of attacks by terrorist group, Boko Haram, in recent weeks.
The group had seemed to be loosing its grip on the north-east region of Nigeria when the Nigerian military launched a seemingly successful operation to reclaim all territories lost to the insurgents.
However, with about 500 lives lost in recent suicide bombings in Yobe, Kaduna, Plateau and Kano states, there has been renewed pressure on the military for a more effective approach to the war on terror.