Nigerian Government Verifies Claims Of Would-Be Suicide Bomber In Cameroon
The Nigerian government is arranging to send some members of the Chibok community to neighbouring Cameroon, in order to verify whether a female suicide bomber arrested in Borno state on Friday is one of the missing schoolgirls abducted in Chibok almost two years ago.
A statement on Saturday by a spokesman to the President, Garba Shehu, said that the Minister of Women Affairs, Senator Aisha Alhassan and Nigerian High Commissioner in Cameroon had already swung into action and were receiving a lot of cooperation from the Cameroonian authorities.
It has been confirmed that one of two girls is claiming to be among the girls abducted from Chibok on April 14 2014.
Although doubts have crept into the claim following new information from Cameroon that the two girls were about ten years.
One of the two is also believed to be heavily drugged and therefore not in full control of her senses.
The girls abducted by Boko Haram terrorists were said to be in their final year in the secondary school and were preparing to write their final examinations.
According to Mr Garba, the Nigerian High Commissioner in Cameroon, Ambassador Hadiza Mustapha, had confirmed that the arrested girls may be brought to the Capital, Younde by Monday, at which point the High Commission would seek permission to meet with them.
The Murtala Mohammed Foundation has offered to cooperate with the Nigerian government in sponsoring two parents from Chibok who have been selected to embark on the trip to Cameroon.
The two are Yakubu Nkeki, Chairman of the Parents of the Abducted Girls from Chibok Association and Yana Galang, the group’s women leader.
The Nigerian High Commission will receive the two and will facilitate their access to the two girls once permission to meet and verify their identity is obtained from the Cameroonian authorities.