UN Changes Casualty Figure From Zabarmari Attack
The United Nations has altered its casualty figure from the attack on farmers in Zabarmari, Borno on Saturday.
Earlier reports emanating from Borno said 43 farmers had been slaughtered by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.
The Nigerian military later confirmed the figure.
But, on Sunday, the United Nations put out a statement saying “at least 110 civilians” had died.
The statement was signed by the UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Edward Kallon.
But the agency, in another statement dated Sunday, said “tens of civilians” had died.
Premium Times reported on Monday that the UN spokesperson, Eve Sabbagh, confirmed the earlier numbers quoted by Mr. Kallon were not correctly sourced.
“Please note the number of 110 civilians killed on Saturday’s attack is an unconfirmed number and the correct version of the statement by the Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator is the one published yesterday on Reliefweb and used on OCHA Nigeria’s Twitter account,” she reportedly said in an email to reporters.