Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Massacre Of Farmers In Borno

A file photo of a Boko Haram faction leader, Abubakar Shekau

 

The Islamist extremist group, Boko Haram, has claimed responsibility for the recent killing of tens of farmers in Borno, the BBC reported on Tuesday.

The terrorist group said it killed 78 farmers in the Saturday attack in Zabarmari, near Maiduguri.

The military on Monday said it had counted 43 bodies but was still looking for more casualties.

READ ALSO: UN Changes Casualty Figure From Zabarmari Attack

The killings sent shockwaves across the country, drawing condemnation from many Nigerians.

On Tuesday, senators called for President Muhammadu Buhari to sack service chiefs and replace them with people with fresh ideas and solutions.

In a rowdy session also on Tuesday, House of Representatives members summoned President Buhari over the state of the nation’s security.

UN Changes Casualty Figure From Zabarmari Attack

Borno Governor, Babagana Zulum and other officials attend the burial of the victims of slain farmers in Zabarmari area of the state on November 29, 2020. Credit: Borno State Govt

 

The United Nations has altered its casualty figure from the attack on farmers in Zabarmari, Borno on Saturday.

Earlier reports emanating from Borno said 43 farmers had been slaughtered by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

The Nigerian military later confirmed the figure.

But, on Sunday, the United Nations put out a statement saying “at least 110 civilians” had died.

READ ALSO: Military Counted 43 Bodies Not 110, Says Enenche

The statement was signed by the UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Edward Kallon.

But the agency, in another statement dated Sunday, said “tens of civilians” had died.

Premium Times reported on Monday that the UN spokesperson, Eve Sabbagh, confirmed the earlier numbers quoted by Mr. Kallon were not correctly sourced.

“Please note the number of 110 civilians killed on Saturday’s attack is an unconfirmed number and the correct version of the statement by the Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator is the one published yesterday on Reliefweb and used on OCHA Nigeria’s Twitter account,” she reportedly said in an email to reporters.

FG Delegation, NASS Members Visit Borno After Insurgent Attack On Rice Farmers

The Federal Government delegation and NASS leaders during a visit to Borno on Monday, Nov 30, 2020.

 

A Federal Government delegation led by the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan arrived in Maiduguri, Borno State by mid-day on Monday on a condolence visit over the killing of farmers at the weekend by terrorists.

Members of the delegation include the Chief of Staff to the President, Ibrahim Gambari; Ministers of Federal Capital Territory, Mohammed Bello; Communications and Digital Economy, Ali Pantami, and the Minister of State for Agriculture, Mustapha Baba Shehuri.

This was disclosed in a statement signed on Monday by Special Adviser to the Senate President on Media, Ola Awoniyi.

The statement adds that other members of the delegation are the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno, and Senior Special Assistant (Media and Publicity) to the President, Garba Shehu.

RELATED:

  Zabarmari Massacre: Military Counted 43 Bodies Not 110, Says Enenche

Civilian Informants Sabotage Operations In Northeast, Says Military

Governor Zulum Leads Residents To Bury Farmers Killed By Boko Haram

The delegation was received on arrival at the Airport by the Borno State Deputy Governor, Usman Umar Gadafu.

The Deputy Governor including the former governor of the state Kashim Shetimma later led the delegation to Zabarmari, the community in Jere local government area, where 43 farmers were killed by insurgents.

The delegation included Senators Mohammed Ali Ndume and Abubakar Kyari; State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ali Bukar Dalori; Chief Whip of the House of Representatives, Mohammed Tahir Monguno, Rep Members Abdulkadir Rahis, Ahmed Jaha among other important leaders.

The delegation is in Borno, on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Government, to commiserate and identify with the family of the victims, the Government, and the people of Borno State over the incident.

43 farmers were killed on Saturday morning around Marrabati and Hammayya villages, near Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists.

The farmers were waylaid on their way to their rice farms which they were harvesting before the surprise attack happened.

Some other farmers were also taken away by the insurgents.

 

See more photos from the visit of the delegation to Borno State…

 

[VIDEO] Governor Zulum Leads Residents To Bury Farmers Killed By Boko Haram

Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum on Sunday morning led kinsmen and other residents at Zabarmari for the funeral of 43 farmers killed by the Boko Haram terrorist.

At least forty farmers were killed on Saturday morning around Marrabati and Hammayya villages, near Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists.

The farmers were waylaid on their way to their rice farms which they were harvesting before the surprise attack happened.

Some other farmers were also taken away by the criminals.

Farmers laid to rest after Boko Haram attack at Zabarmari, Borno State.

 

Zulum during the burial of the farmers lamented that, “it is disheartening that more than 40 citizens were slaughtered while they were working in their farmlands,” and also expressed condolence.

READ ALSO: Arewa Consultative Forum Asks Buhari To Address High Rate Of Insecurity In North

“First of all, accept my deepest sympathy over this carnage, once again, that affects all of us and every human with conscience. I am told some persons are still missing. We have been discussing with the military since yesterday, Insha Allah the remaining people will be traced soon.

“Our people are in very difficult situations, they are in two different extreme conditions, in one side they stay at home they may be killed by hunger and starvation, on the other, they go out to their farmlands and risk getting killed by the insurgents. This is very sad.

“We are still appealing to the Federal Government to ensure recruitment of more our youths in the CJTF and hunters into the Nigerian military and the Civil Defence so that they can form part of the agro rangers that will protect farmers. We need many boots to protect farmlands and our youths understand the terrain. We will not lose hope because we have to remain optimistic about ending the insurgency” Zulum said.

It will be recalled that the Pan Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) last week expressed displeasure over the spate of insecurity especially in the northern region of the country.

In a communique signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Emmanuel Yawe on Tuesday, the forum called on President Muhammadu Buhari to live up to his oath of office by addressing the security challenges that are gradually crippling socio-economic activities in the north before it gets too late.

Although the victims lived in Zabarmari, a farming community in Jere local government area famous for rice cultivation, fresh details revealed that they were attacked on Saturday, at Koshebe village, a place in Mafa Local Government Area.

Zulum, during his visit, was told that the death toll was yet to be fully ascertained.

The 43 victims were buried, but villagers insist that others have not been retrieved from the scene of the incident. They told the governor that the exact number of people killed were yet to be ascertained and some of the victims are still missing.

Gbajabiamila Condemns Killing Of Borno Farmers, Calls For More Military Action Against Insurgents

Gbajabiamila Gives Akpabio 48 Hours To Publish Names Of Lawmakers Awarded Contracts By NDDC
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, speaks during a meeting in Abuja on February 5, 2020.

 

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has condemned the killing of about 50 rice farmers in Zabarmari, Borno State by Boko Haram insurgents.

Gbajabiamila said the incident has once again brought to the fore the need for more military action against the terrorists.

He said it was unfortunate that at a time the country was focusing on self-sufficiency in rice farming, about 50 of the farmers were killed in a most gruesome manner.

This was disclosed in a statement signed on Sunday by the Special Adviser to the Speaker on Media and Publicity, Lanre Lasisi.

The Speaker said the House is determined and ready to provide all necessary support, including the ongoing budgeting process to ensure that funds are allocated for the security agencies to carry out their mandate of wiping out the terrorists.

READ ALSO: Lagos Government Demolishes Over 1,700 Shanties At Fagba Railway Lines

“It’s unfortunate that about 50 of our countrymen lost their lives to the barbaric and inhuman action of the insurgents at this time.

“This incident is one too many for us as a country. Here were innocent citizens going about their lives of looking for their daily bread to cater for their families. But are murdered in a most gruesome manner.

“Their lives should not go in vain. This should call for more action from our military. As a House, we are ever ready to give them all the necessary support, especially through budgetary allocation, to deal decisively with the insurgents.

“My heart goes out to the families of the murdered farmers,” the Speaker said.

At least forty farmers were killed on Saturday morning around Marrabati and Hammayya villages, near Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists.

The farmers were waylaid on their way to their rice farms which they were harvesting before the surprise attack happened.

Some other farmers were also taken away by the criminals.

Buhari Condemns Boko Haram Killing Of Rice Farmers In Borno

File photo of President Muhammadu Buhari

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the killings of rice farmers by Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State.

The President in a statement signed on Saturday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu described the killings as senseless.

“President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed grief over the killing of farmers on rice fields at Zabarmari, in Jere Local Government of Borno State, describing the terrorist killings as insane.

READ ALSO: Another Killing Recorded In Ekiti State As Gunmen Murder Cleric

“I condemn the killing of our hardworking farmers by terrorists in Borno State. The entire country is hurt by these senseless killings. My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief. May their souls Rest In Peace.”

“President Buhari said the government had given all the needed support to the armed forces “to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory.”

At least forty farmers were killed on Saturday morning around Marrabati and Hammayya villages, near Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists.

The farmers were waylaid on their way to their rice farms which they were harvesting before the surprise attack happened.

An unspecified number of farmers were also taken away by the criminals.

 

Borno Govt. Confirms First Case Of Lassa Fever

Lassa Fever, Plateau State, Kamshak KundenThe Borno State Government has confirmed the diagnosis of Lassa fever in a 32-year-old woman in Zabarmari, a village located on the outskirts of Maiduguri metropolis.

The Commissioner of Health, Dr. Haruna Mshelia, who said this noted that incident was the first to be recorded in the state in northeast Nigeria.

Dr. Mshelia said the survivor fell sick last week and was admitted at a government hospital in Maiduguri, while a sample of her blood was taken to Lagos for test and returned positive.

He said though the situation was under control as the victim was responding to treatment, the ministry had to summon all stakeholders, including traditional rulers to sensitise the public on the need to ensure proper sanitation and avoid eating rodents, especially rats.

The commissioner noted that officials from the ministry had visited Zabarmari where they identified 23 people who had contact with the victim.

“So far we are in contact with 23 of her relations and we are following them up; all of them are healthy.

“But this disease takes between two to 21 days to develop; so we will not stop following them up until this period elapses,” he said.

Dr. Mshelia stressed further that those suspected to have personal contact have been quarantined.

He hinted that the ministry would soon embark on house-to-house fumigation, assuring the people of the state that there was no cause for alarm.

“We have formed teams that are to follow the relations, teams that are to go to the hospital and ensure that single case is treated properly and nobody catches the disease, and we have enlightened teams among others,” he said.

The incident management team, according to the commissioner, comprises “the state ministry of health, the Federal Government’s Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), and our partners chiefly the World Health Organisation and the Borno State Environmental Protection Agency (BOSEPA)”.

Mshelia explained that “the role of BOSEPA is to move to Zabarmari and we will try to see if we can catch few of the rats for examination.

“Then the whole town will be fumigated house-to-house, to get rid of the rats that are there that could be infected”.

A report published in January 2017 by the NCDC had warned on the increased number of Lassa fever cases, even as it advised increased focus on prevention and preparedness.

The report indicated that from December 2016, Nigeria has recorded 19 cases of Lassa fever and six deaths in seven states.