The Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, on Monday, announced new chairmen of some standing committees in the red chamber.
The Senate President named the chairmen of the committees after confirming 45 of the 48 ministerial nominees during the day’s plenary session.
President of the Ninth Senate Ahmad Lawan (Defence), former governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal (Housing), and former governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole (Interior) were some of the senators appointed to chair committees.
Also appointed were Sen Godiya Akwashiki (Airforce), Buhari Abdul-Fata (Aviation), Osita Izunaso (Capital Market), Cyril Fasuyi (Establishment), Seriake Dickson (Ecology/Climate Change), Petroleum Downstream (Jide Ipisagba), Aliyu Wadada (Public Account), Shehu Kaka (Special Duties), Patrick Ndubueze (Works), Solomon Adeola (Appropriations), Musa Sani (Finance), and Abiru Tokunbo (Banking).
The new chairmen also included Isa Jubril (Customs), Elisha Abbo (Culture and Tourism), Victor Umeh (Diaspora), Lawal Usman (Education), Akintunde Yunus (Environment), Ibrahim Bomai (FCT), Sani Abubakar (Foreign Affairs), Banigo Harry (Health), Abubakar Yari, (Water Resources), Enyinaya Abaribe (Power), and Aliyu Wamakko (Local and Foreign Debts).
Others are Adamu Aliero (Land transport), Daniel Olugbenga (Navy), Barinada Mpigi (Niger Delta), Mohammed Monguno (Judiciary), Yemi Adaramodu (Youths and Sports), Ireti Kingigbe (Women Affairs), Orji Kalu (Privatization), Mustapha Sabiu (Agriculture), Aliyu Bilbis (Communications) and Asuquo Ekpenyong (NDDC).
The latest announcement follows the chairmen of standing committees earlier announced by the Senate President.
Below is the earlier list of committees and the chairmen and deputies announced:
- Rules and Business — Titus Zam (chairman), Opeyemi Bamidele (deputy)
- Senate Services — Sunday Karimi (chairman), Williams Eteng Jonah (deputy)
- Ethics and Public Petitions — Okechukwu Ezea (chairman), Khalid Ibrahim Mustapha (deputy)
- Public Accounts — Aliu Wadada Ahmed (chairman), Onyeka Peter (deputy)
- National Security and Intelligence — Shehu Buba Umar (chairman), Asuquo Ekpenyong (deputy)
- Legislative Compliance — Garba Musa Maidoki (chairman), Ede Dafinone (deputy)
- Media — Adeyemi Adaramodu (chairman), Salisu Shuaibu Afolabi (deputy)
- Appropriations — Olamilekan Adeola (chairman), Ali Ndume (deputy)