Insurgency: UN Condemns Attack On Humanitarian Facility In Borno

PHOTO: United Nations

 

The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, has condemned the attack by ‘non-state’ armed groups against a humanitarian accommodation in Ngala, Borno State.

The attack on the humanitarian hub was said to have been carried out by heavily armed men on Saturday in the north-eastern state of the country.

An entire section of the facility was reportedly razed, as well as one of the few vehicles being used by UN agencies for movement and aid delivery.

“I am outraged by the extremely violent attack on this key humanitarian facility where five United Nations staff were staying at the time of the incident.

“I am shocked by the violence and intensity of this attack, which is the latest of too many incidents directly targeting humanitarian actors and the assistance we provide,” stressed the Humanitarian Coordinator.

READ ALSO: Pipeline Explosion: If Acts Of Vandalism Continues, They Will Kill Us All – Kyari

Mr Kallon, however, stated that no lives were lost during the attack.

He noted that protective security measures deployed at the humanitarian hub prevented any harm to the workers that were in the facility.

The UN envoy said, “I am relieved all staff is now safe and secure. Aid workers, humanitarian facilities and assets cannot be a target and must be protected and respected at all times.

“Such incidents have a disastrous effect on the lives of the most vulnerable people who depend on our assistance to survive.”

“Many of them had already fled violence in their area of origin and were hoping to find safety and assistance in Ngala.

“This also jeopardises the ability of aid workers to stay and deliver assistance to the people most in need in remote areas in Borno State,” he added.

Pipeline Explosion: If Acts Of Vandalism Continue, They Will Kill Us All – Kyari

PHOTO: NNPC

 

The Group Managing Director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mr Mele Kyari, has called on Nigerians to expose acts of pipeline vandalism happening within their communities.

Multiple explosions rocked the Ile Epo community around the Abule Egba area of Lagos on Sunday night, claiming five lives, burning vehicles and properties worth millions of Naira.

Mr Kyari stressed that if the acts carried out by these vandals continue, more lives would be lost to resultant effects from the vandalism.

RELATED: Panic As Pipeline Explodes At Ile Epo In Abule Egba Area Of Lagos

During an on-the-spot assessment of the scene of Sunday’s pipeline explosion in the area, Mr Kyari stated that the NNPC was working with security agencies to contain the situation.

He said, “It’s unfortunate we lost five lives to this inferno, with many in critical condition in the hospitals, all due to unpatriotic acts of vandals along our Pipeline Right of Way, who make insertions into the pipelines to steal products, leading to disasters such as this.

“We’re working daily with security agencies to contain this situation which portends danger for all of us. Nigerians must know that these acts of vandals are happening within communities and if they are allowed to continue, then they will eventually kill all of us.”

The NNPC boss explained that when the explosion was reported, they shut down the flow to contain the damage.

He, however, noted that the flow of petroleum products has since resumed.

“We, therefore, need the support of every member of the community to expose the bad eggs in their midst. We are counting on Nigerians to help us resolve this as it is becoming a matter of national security concern.

“Having shut down to contain the damage yesterday, we’ve now fully restored the line. We are now back on stream.”

“Petroleum products are flowing all the way from Atlas Cove to Mosimi all the way to Ilorin Depot. We enjoin everyone to work with us in sustaining this,” Kyari said.

Three Injured As Suspected Boko Haram Insurgents Attack Yobe Community

 

Three people have been injured by stray bullets from suspected Boko Haram insurgents who attempted to attack the Kalgeri community of Geidam Local Government Council in Yobe state.

The Acting Assistant Director Public Relation, Sector 2 Operation Lafiya Dole, Lieutenant Chinonso Oteh who confirmed the incident to Channels Television, said information on the attack is still sketchy.

READ ALSO: Two Killed As Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack In Kaduna

But the Chairman of Civil Society Organisation in Geidam, Idris Mohammed, said the incident happened on Sunday night.

He added that the insurgents invaded the community around 7 pm, shooting sporadically, which caused the residents to panic and run to safety.

The victims are receiving treatment at General Hospital Geidam.

Uzodinma Dissolves All Boards And Parastatals Constituted By Ihedioha

Imo APC Faction Expels Hope Uzodinma
Senator Hope Uzodinma

 

Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma, has dissolved all boards and parastatals constituted by the ousted government of Emeka Ihedioha.

Governor Uzodinma ordered the chairmen and members of the boards and parastatals to hand over all government property in their possession to the most senior civil servants in their respective agencies.

READ ALSO: PHOTOS: ‘Tanko Must Go’ – Ihedioha’s Supporters Troop To The Streets

The Chief Press secretary to the Imo state Governor, Ogwuike Nwachukwu who confirmed this dissolution to Channels Television, said the directive is with immediate effect.

Governor Uzodinma had on Sunday debunked rumours making rounds in the state that he planned to probe his predecessors.

He explained that his directive to the Accountant-General of the state and the officials of the civil service to furnish him with the financial statement of the state may have been misconstrued.

Supreme Court Dismisses Appeal Challenging Tambuwal’s Victory As Sokoto Governor

 

The Supreme court has dismissed an appeal filed by Ahmed Aliyu challenging the election of Aminu Tambuwal as Governor of Sokoto state.

The petitioners, Aliyu and his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) alleged non-compliance with the electoral act in the conduct of the election.

In a unanimous judgment delivered by Justice Uwani Abba-Aji, the apex court dismissed the appeal on the ground that the appellant failed to prove his allegation of non-compliance with the electoral act and issues of over-voting.

READ ALSO: Supreme Court Affirms Election Of Governor Ganduje

Mr Tambuwal was re-elected for a second term after supplementary polls were held.

He polled a total of 512,002 votes after the 25,515 votes he got from the supplementary elections were added to the number of votes from the first exercise held on March 9.

Aliyu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who is a former Deputy Governor, polled 511,660 after his 22,444 votes from the supplementary election were added to that of the March 9 election.

Supreme Court Affirms Election Of Governor Ganduje

 

The Supreme Court has affirmed the election of Abdullahi Ganduje as the Governor of Kano state.

Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Abba Kabir Yusuf, filed an appeal at the apex court to dispute the March 23 supplementary election held in some electoral wards in Kano State.

A seven-man panel of justices of the apex court led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, after listening to arguments by the counsels representing the appellant and the respondents in the suit, fixed today to decide the fate of the appeal.

READ ALSO: ‘Reverse This Injustice Now’ – PDP Members Troop To Streets Across Nigeria

In a unanimous judgment delivered by Justice Sylvester Ngwuta, the apex court dismissed the appeal filed by Abba Yusuf challenging the election of Governor Ganduje for lacking in merit.

The court held that the appellant failed to prove any case of irregularity in the main election held on March 9 and the supplementary election on March 23, 2019.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared the March 9 election in Kano State inconclusive, which led to the supplementary election held on March 23.

Meanwhile, supporters of the Governor have been jubilating over the ruling of the apex court.

PDP Stages ‘Mother Of All Protests’ Against Supreme Court Judgement

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has embarked on what it termed “mother of all protests” against last week’s Supreme Court judgement on Imo Governorship appeal.

The apex court on Tuesday last week nullified the election of Emeka Ihedioha as the governor of Imo State and unanimously declared Senator Hope Uzodinma of the All Progressive Congress (APC) as the winner of the March 9 governorship election.

READ ALSO: Supreme Court Affirms Election Of Governor Ganduje

A huge crowd of protesters, led by the national chairman of the party, Uche Secondus, armed with placards, waving party flags, took off from the PDP headquarters annex in Abuja, to the Supreme Court to express their dissatisfaction with the judgement.

See photos below:

 

 

 

Cross River Flags Off Maternal New-born And Child Health, Targets Over 800,000 Children

 

The Cross River State Government on Saturday flagged off the second round of the 2019 Maternal, New-born and Child Health (MNCH) week which is usually organized twice in a year.

The initiative seeks to monitor mothers, pregnant women, and every child from 0-58 months in terms of nutrition, hygiene, and Immunisation as well as access to quality health care.

State Governor Ben Ayade who was represented by the State Commissioner for Health, Dr Betta Edu flagged off the Child Health Week at Primary Healthcare Centre, Nasarawa Community, Ikot Ekpo, Calabar Municipality and disclosed that over 8,000 children under five and pregnant women are to benefit.

READ ALSO: Border Closure Not Meant To Punish Our Neighbours, Says Buhari

Dr Betta Edu maintained that the week-long exercise was to improve access to the basic health care services for all while reducing morbidity and mortality in mothers, pregnant women and children of age 0-5.

“The health week will feature routine immunisation against childhood killer diseases, administration of Vitamin A for children, deworming of children, screening for acute malnutrition in children with appropriate referrals, provisions of ante-natal care iron-folate for pregnant women, distribution of mosquito nets to pregnant and lactating women as well as health education on key health tips for household practices and HIV testing, amongst others”

 

Also Speaking, Dr Janet David Ekpenyong, Director-General, Cross River State Primary Healthcare Development Agency (CRSPHCDA), urged women and guardians to make their wards available for immunization and other loads of packages.

The DG assured the community of immediate revitalization of the health centre to cater for the healthcare of the people in the community.

According to her, Governor Ben Ayade is very committed to drastically reduce maternal mortality and infancy through interventions such as the State health insurance scheme “Ayadecare”.

The Nasarawa Community in Bacoco, Calabar municipality who turned out in their numbers were overwhelmed with joy and thanked the Governor for his intervention, stating that they will patronize the health care facility close to them.

Bauchi Election: Gov Mohammed Optimistic Ahead Of Supreme Court Judgement

 

Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed is optimistic about the outcome of the Supreme Court judgement on the appeal filed by the Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), challenging his victory in the March 2019 election.

The apex court is expected to deliver judgement on Monday 20 January 2019 on three Governorship appeals from Bauchi, Sokoto and Kano.

READ ALSO: Imo: Our People Have Suffered, Ararume Pledges To Support Uzodinma

Addressing a news conference in Abuja, the commissioner for information, Mr Ladan Salihu, said the Governor is not bothered about the judgement, having won the election overwhelmingly.

“Bala Mohammed is a democrat, a product of democracy, rule of law and he is a champion of good governance. He believes that the judiciary is the last hope of the common man and the common man in Bauchi state voted Bala Mohammed.

“We are very confident that justice will be served in our favour. I wouldn’t be the first to go near the red line of sub judice, but I can tell you confidently that we are not particularly worried, but concerned because it is a process that is not in our hands.

“The governor is very calm, we are hopeful and we are not by any stretch of the imagination, worried or afraid of the process,” he added.

He assured residents and supporters that a final affirmation of Governor Mohammed will only lead to better governance and an improved Bauchi state.

Governor Mohammed of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) was declared the winner, defeating incumbent governor, Muhammed Abubakar of the All progressives Congress.

Mohammed Polled a total of 515,113, while Abubakar got 500,625 votes.

SERAP Asks FCT Court To Declare Life Pension Law For Ex-Council Chairs, Others Illegal

SERAP Threatens To Sue UI, AAUA Over Increased Fees

 

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has asked the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court to restrain the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) from paying life pensions to former officials, and to themselves under the life pension edict/law 2019 passed by AMAC.

SERAP in a lawsuit asked the court to stop AMAC, its chairman; deputy chairman; speaker; legislature and/or their agents, and recover all previous payments made under the AMAC life pension edict/law, from those who have already collected pensions.

A statement by SERAP Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare, said the returns when returned, can be spent to provide public goods and services for residents of the FCT.

“The court should exercise its inherent and statutory powers to defend the sanctity of the Nigerian Constitution 1999 (as amended), and hold that the AMAC pension edict is unconstitutional and stop any payment of pensions under the said edict. Unless the reliefs sought are granted, AMAC and its officials will continue to use the pension edict for personal gain, in breach of constitutional provisions, and at the expense of the people and residents of the council’s area. This is what the provisions of Section 1, Part 1, and Fifth Schedule of the Constitution expressly forbid.

“Under the pension edict, AMAC’s past council chairmen would receive an annual pension of N500,000; former vice chairmen are to receive N300,000 each while former speakers will be paid N200,000 each.”

READ ALSO: Border Closure Not Meant To Punish Our Neighbours, Says Buhari

SERAP also said: “It is only the National Assembly that has the power to make laws on pension under the Nigerian Constitution. AMAC and its officials went beyond the scope of their constitutional powers to make laws on payment of annual pensions for the council’s former chairmen, former vice-chairmen and former speakers.

“The payment of life pensions to the council’s chairmen, vice-chairmen and speakers would cause the massive financial crisis and cripple the council’s ability to discharge its mandates of providing public goods and services to the people of Abuja. It would also put in jeopardy citizens’ access to those services.”

No date has been fixed for the hearing of the suit.

Border Closure Not Meant To Punish Our Neighbours, Says Buhari

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the partial closure of Nigeria’s borders is not meant to punish her neighbours, but to strengthen the country’s security and economy.

In a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, President Buhari told a select group of the Nigerian Community in the United Kingdom that the period of closure will be used for stock-taking on threats to the nation’s security and economy.

He noted that Nigerian farmers have been celebrating the closure which has drastically reduced the smuggling of agricultural produce as well as arms and ammunition.

President Buhari attributed the country’s virtual food security position to the “very good last three rainy seasons;” the federal government’s reduction in the price of fertilizers by 50 percent and the presidential directive to the Central Bank of Nigeria not to give foreign exchange for food imports thereby saving the nations billions of naira.

READ ALSO: PHOTOS: Anthony Joshua Presents Heavyweight Titles To Buhari In UK

Commending Nigerians in the Diaspora for their huge home remittances – more than $25 billion in 2018 – the President also lauded their individual performances in their various fields of expertise.

Explaining the achievements of his administration in implementing its three-point campaign agenda by focusing on fixing the economy, providing security and tackling corruption, the President said Nigeria’s “huge, vibrant youth population” have been encouraged to go back to the farms and are “living decent and respectable lifestyles.”

On security, he said “it is common sense that you can only run the country if it is secured,” adding that the country “has not done badly in the North East.”

Describing the havoc done by corruption to the image and economy of Nigeria as “terrible,” President Buhari said that his administration has now focused on retrieving stolen fixed assets and returning the proceeds of the sale “to the treasury through the Treasury Single Account (TSA),” so that nobody can return them back to the convicts even after his tenure.

Two Killed As Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack In Kaduna

Bandits Kill Two Air Force Personnel In Kaduna

 

No fewer than two people were killed and others sustained various degrees of injuries in a  fresh attack on Friday night by gunmen in  Gora Dan village of  Zango-Kataf Local Government Area of  Kaduna State.

Eyewitnesses said the gunmen invaded the village market and opened fire on the residents who were still transacting their businesses for the day.

Although the Kaduna state police command is yet to confirm the incident, the local government chairman, Elias Manza told Channels Television that the gunmen invaded the village market square from the bush, shooting sporadically and in the process, shot two people to death and also wounded several others.

READ ALSO: Police Uncover Suspected Baby Factory In Kano, Rescue 27 Children

He explained that no group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but disclosed that an emergency security meeting was held on Saturday with all the relevant stakeholders in order to unravel the perpetrators of the attack and also forestall any form of reprisal.

The fresh attack comes almost a year relative peace returned to communities in the southern part of Kaduna state that were engulfed with incessant conflicts between herders and farmers.