11 Killed In Boko Haram Attack Near Chibok

Niger Republic, Boko HaramAn attack by suspected Boko Haram members have left about 11 people dead in Kuburvwa village of Borno State.

The attackers are also reported to have abducted some women, but the exact number of those abducted are not known.

Spokesperson of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria, Abbas Gava, who confirmed the attack to journalists in Maiduguri the state capital says that the attack happened on Sunday night.

Mr. Gava adds that many people fled into the bushes during the attack and have not returned to the village since then.

Kuburvwa Village is close to Chibok where over 200 girls were kidnapped in 2014.

This is coming after the Nigerian Army killed some key leaders of Boko Haram and wounded many others, including the leader of the sect, Abubakar Shekau during an air strike on Friday in Taye Village in Borno State.

The air strike, described as “the most unprecedented and spectacular air raid”, took place while the terrorists were performing Friday rituals at Taye village, Gombale general area within Sambisa forest, Borno State.

Boko Haram terrorists commanders confirmed dead during the raid include Abubakar Mubi, Malam Nuhu and Malam Hamman, amongst others.

The leader of the sect, Abubakar Shekau is also believed to have been fatally wounded during the attack.

Gunmen Attack Damboa, Borno State

GunmenSeveral people have been reported killed as gunmen suspected to be members of the Boko Haram attacked Damboa in Borno State on Friday morning.

The gunmen were said to have stormed the village at about 5AM, according to a vigilante official in Maiduguri, Abbas Gava, who said that he spoke with some of his men in the Damboa village.

According to him, since the Boko Haram sect attacked security formations in Damboa about two weeks ago, only a handful of youth vigilante group, known as Civilian-JTF, and some few vigilante officials were available to protect the people.

The Boko Haram gunmen were also said to have taken over the highway and continued to engage soldiers in ambush attacks that have forced them to return to Maiduguri on two occasions.

“Since the attack, Damboa has no Police or soldiers, it is only the vigilantes that are there and we know their limitations”, Mr Gava said.

He said that the “casualty could be very high because my contacts in Damboa said they are still picking and piling the corpses. But many houses, nearly half of what remains of the several attacked town has been burnt”.

A senior security personnel, confirmed the attack to Premium Times but said that there were “no details on extent of damage or casualty yet”.