Killing Of Four Aid Worker Tragic, Shocking – Minister

 

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq has condemned the killing of four aid workers by insurgents in Borno State.

The announcement of the killing of the four aid workers was made by one of the International Humanitarian Organizations, Action Against Hunger, who provide relief and aid to Nigerians affected by the Humanitarian crisis in North-Eastern Nigeria.

They were abducted on July 26 in Mobbar LGA and have remained in captivity since then.

READ ALSO: Buhari Sad After ‘Alleged Execution’ Of Four Aid Workers

The minister in a statement by her Special Adviser on Media, Halima Oyelade, said that she received the news with great shock and sadness and her thoughts are with the families of the aid workers.

“I received with utter shock and great sadness the inhuman and tragic killing of four innocent aid workers in the North East by armed groups. My thoughts and deepest sympathy go to the families, friends, and colleagues of the deceased who have paid the ultimate price in service to humanity.” Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq described the killing as a great loss to Nigeria.

“The government and people of Nigeria recognise and appreciate the activities of local and international humanitarian organizations and their staff who in spite of the risks involved continue to work to provide food, health care, and necessary relief materials to victims of the conflict in the North East,” said the Honourable Minister. She further reassured Nigerians and humanitarian Actors in Nigeria that Government is committed to the safety of aid workers and Nigerians.

“The Federal Government is resolute and focussed on countering all forms of armed violence, insurgency, and conflict, while ensuring the safety and protection of aid workers, Nigerians and all those living in or visiting Nigeria” the Minister added, “I urge Nigerians and Humanitarian actors to remain calm in the face of these senseless and evil acts as our collective force of goodwill overcome the evil perpetrated by a few bad elements.”

The Honourable Minister encouraged humanitarian organizations, security operatives and the public to work together especially by sharing useful information that can aid the fight against terrorism and armed conflict.

Buhari Sad After ‘Alleged Execution’ Of Four Aid Workers 

President Muhammadu Buhari: “Evil will always be defeated by good at the end of the day.”

 

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Saturday, expressed sorrow over the death of four aid workers killed by terrorists in the country’s north-east region.

On Friday, French aid group, Action Against Hunger, said jihadists had executed four hostages who had been held since July.

According to the group, the four were among six hostages held by the jihadists. It added that one of its staff and two drivers were among those killed.

The President, in a statement released by his spokesman, Femi Adesina, condemned the “alleged execution” of the aid workers.

 He also commiserated with the deceased’s family and loved ones.

“Evil will always be defeated by good at the end of the day. Whatever seeming victory evil records, eventually rebounds on the evildoer. We are resolved to beat evil in this land, and we remain unrelenting till we achieve it,” Buhari said, as quoted by the statement.

The President urged all insurgents once again to lay down their arms, and rejoin decent humanity.

The aid workers had been abducted near Damasak, Borno State, in July, and had been held despite all efforts to secure their release, till their alleged execution.

The United Nations has also condemned the alleged executions.

Jihadists Execute Four Hostages In Nigeria – NGO

 

French aid group, Action Against Hunger says Jihadists have executed four Nigerian hostages who had been held since July.

According to the group, the four were among six hostages held by the jihadists. It added that one of its staff and two drivers were among those killed.

“The armed group responsible for the kidnapping of humanitarian workers on July 18, have murdered four hostages,” Action Against Hunger said in a statement that did not identify the victims.

Another of the hostages was killed in September.

The French aid group said it is “extremely concerned and calls for the immediate release of its staff member, Grace, who remains in captivity.”

The six, an Action Against Hunger employee, two drivers and three health ministry personnel were kidnapped while delivering humanitarian aid to vulnerable people in Borno State.

Their driver was killed in the kidnap ambush carried out by militants believed to be members of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) group.

Jihadists aligned with the Islamic State group then released a video purporting to show the one female aid worker and five male colleagues who had been kidnapped in an attack in northeast Nigeria.

ISWAP is a splinter group of Boko Haram that swore allegiance in 2016 to IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

It has repeatedly attacked military bases and previously targeted aid workers in northeast Nigeria.

“Action Against Hunger condemns these latest killings in the strongest terms and deeply regrets that its calls for the release of the hostages have not been acted upon,” the group said in its statement.

On Thursday ISWAP fighters militants killed 14 anti-jihadist militia and a police officer in northeast Nigeria, militia leaders told AFP Friday.

The militia was comprised of local hunters across the northeast along with the state-funded Civilian Joint Task Force, an armed vigilante group.

The decade-long Islamist insurgency has killed 35,000 people and displaced around two million from their homes in northeast Nigeria.

The violence has now spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting a regional military coalition to fight the insurgents.

Action Against Hunger said it is currently providing food assistance every month to approximately 300,000 people in northeast Nigeria, as well helping thousands more with life-saving health and nutrition services.

Insurgency: FG Lifts Ban On Two Aid Groups In Northeast

 

The Federal Government has lifted the suspension of two humanitarian organisations operating in the northeast, Action Against Hunger and Mercy Corps after receiving reports from a Board of Inquiry (BOI).

This was disclosed by the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, Sadiya Farouq, in a statement.

Both International Humanitarian Organizations were suspended from operating in the Northeast following an allegation by the Nigerian army of providing aids to Boko Haram.

The Army had in September, blacklisted and subsequently sealed the offices of Action Against Hunger in Borno and Yobe states, stating that it had ‘credible intelligence’ that the humanitarian agency supplied food and medication to the insurgents.

Farouq said the Federal Government is worried about the counter-terrorism efforts and efforts must be put in place to end the conflict.

“The suspension of the two International Humanitarian Organizations namely Action Against Hunger and Mercy Corps is temporarily lifted. The concerns and recommendations of the Board of Inquiry (BOI) will continue to receive attention and scrutiny to address the issues raised and complies.”

READ ALSO: FG Approves 3bn For Construction Of NDIC Office In Bauchi

She added that key issues will be addressed based on the 7-point agenda proposed by the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator to strengthen coordination and partnership between the humanitarian community and the Government of Nigeria in the North East.

“Establishment of a High-Level Policy Forum on Humanitarian Assistance in northeast Nigeria by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development at the federal level to discuss/resolve all emerging issues with the Humanitarian Response in the North East.

“Vetting/Due Diligence of all Humanitarian Vendors in northeast Nigeria to be conducted by the Government of Nigeria before engagement by Humanitarian Actors.

“Clearance and registration of all NGOs by the Government of Nigeria before deployment engagement in Humanitarian Activities in Nigeria.

“Transportation and allocation of Fuel and other sensitive humanitarian commodities including fertilizers to humanitarian actors in the field by Government approved vendors/providers in northeast Nigeria”, she added.

Other issues that will be addressed include; “Development and approval of a cash transfer policy for humanitarian assistance in Northeast Nigeria within the Laws of the Government of Nigeria. Review and strengthen Civil-Military Coordination and existing systems at both Maiduguri and Abuja level.”

Army Accuses Action Against Hunger Of Aiding, Abetting Terrorists

 

The Nigerian Army has accused a non-governmental organisation, Action Against Hunger (AAH), of aiding and abetting terrorists.

In a statement issued on Friday, the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel, Ado Isa stated that the actions of the NGO persisted despite several warnings.

Consequently, the army declared persona non grata for aiding Boko Haram Terrorists/Islamic State West Africa by supplying them food and drugs despite several warnings from the Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE (TC – OPLD).

Read the full statement below.

SABOTAGE OF THE COUNTER INSURGENCY OPERATIONS IN THE NORTHEAST

The Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE (TC – OPLD)) has observed with utter disappointment and concern the notorious activities of some Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) working in the North East (NE) Nigeria.

The subversive and actions of the NGO Action Against Hunger (AAH) persisted despite several warnings to desist from aiding and abetting terrorists and their atrocities The TC – OPLD has on many occasions raised alarm over this unwholesome practices of some NGOs and expressed same position during meetings with the NGOs operating in the NE Theater of Operation.

Consequently, the AAH has been declared persona non grata for aiding Boko Haram Terrorists/Islamic State West Africa by supplying them food and drugs despite warning from the TC – OPLD.

The Command has obtained several credible intelligence indicating AAH as one of those NGOs operating in the NE that is notorious in supplying food and drugs to the criminals in the area.

Members of the public are enjoined to continue to give credible information on the activities of the marauders/criminals and their supporters in the NE Theatre of operation.

The OPLD wishes to assure the public of its resolve and determination to always partner with credible NGOs and CSOs to cushion the impact of humanitarian crisis generated by the criminals in the NE in line with the international best standards

ADO ISA
Colonel
Deputy Director Army Public Relations Operation LAFIYA DOLE
19 September 2019

Army Accuse NGO Of Aiding, Abetting Terrorists In North East

 

 

The Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE (TC – OPLD)) says it has observed with utter disappointment and concern the alleged notorious activities of some Non Governmental Organizations (NGO) working in the North East (NE) Nigeria.

According to the army, one of such NGOs carrying out subversive actions is the NGO Action Against Hunger (AAH), a claim which the humanitarian agency boldly refutes.

The Force however, insists that the NGO has persisted despite several warnings to desist from aiding and abetting “terrorists and their atrocities”.

READ ALSO: Troops Rescue Eight Kidnap Victims In Kaduna

In a statement by the spokesman of Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel Ado Isa, the TC-OPLD said it has on many occasions raised alarm over what it terms unwholesome practices of some NGOs and expressed same position during meetings with the NGOs operating in the North East Theater of Operation.

Colonel Ado Isa stated that consequently, the AAH has been declared persona nan grata for aiding Boko Haram Terrorists/Islamic State West Africa by supplying them food and drugs despite warning from the TC-OPLD.

He said that the command has obtained several credible intelligence indicating AAH as one of those NGOs operating in the NE that is notorious in supplying food and drugs to the criminals in the area.

The army spokesman urged members of the public to continue to give credible information on the activities of the marauders/criminals and their supporters in the North East Theatre of operation.

He assured that the OPLD remains resolved and determined to always partner with credible NGOs and CSOs to cushion the impact of humanitarian crisis generated by the criminals in the North East in line with the international best standards.

One Dead, Six Missing After Attack On Aid Workers In Borno

Air Force Officer Dismissed For Raping 14-Year-Old IDP

 

A convoy of vehicles carrying aid workers of Action Against Hunger was attacked on the road to Damasak, Borno state.

The attack, according to Country Director of Action Against Hunger, Shashwat Saraf, happened on Thursday, July 18, 2019.

He said one staff of the humanitarian organisation was killed by the attackers, while six others are missing.

“On Thursday 18 July 2019, a convoy of vehicles was attacked on the road to Damasak, Borno state, Nigeria. One of the drivers was killed, while one Action Against Hunger staff member, two of the drivers and three health workers are missing.”

READ ALSO: Military, Insurgents Lock Horns In Jakana, Borno State

Mr Saraf expressed concerns and said that efforts will be made to reunite the abducted with their families.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident as these are colleagues dedicated to providing life-saving assistance to individuals and families affected by the ongoing humanitarian crisis in the northeast of Nigeria.

“We are very concerned and want to ensure that they are safe and can be reunited with their families.

“We express our deepest condolences to the family of our driver and we extend our support to the family of our missing colleagues as well as others affected by this incident.”