Terror Suspect Ogwuche Seeks 100mln Naira Compensation For Unlawful Detention

Aminu_Sadiq_OgwucheThe alleged mastermind of the twin bomb explosions in Nyanya, a satellite town of Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory, Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, has demanded for 100 million Naira from the Department of State Services (DSS) as damages for unlawful detention.

Ogwuche also demanded a public apology in two national dailies.

In a lawsuit filed for enforcement of his fundamental human rights, Ogwuche through his lawyer, Mr Ahmed Raji, told the court that his continued detention by the State Security Service was illegal and unconstitutional and asked the court to order his release or his trial.

At the proceedings, Ogwuche’s lawyer urged the court to discountenance section 27 of the Terrorism Act which the DSS was relying on to detain his client.

He argued that the said section was inferior to the constitution which stipulated a time frame within which an accused person should be arraigned.

According to him, the continued detention of the accused without prosecution is illegal and unconstitutional .

Mr Raji asked the court to order the DSS to pay Ogwuche 100 million Naira as damages and a published apology in two national dailies as compensation for unlawful detention.

He also requested that the court should make an order releasing him on bail and preventing the DSS from further arresting or detaining him, or in the alternative charge him to court within 48 hours of the court granting his orders.

After listening to the accused person’s lawyer, Justice Adeniyi Ademola adjourned the case for the prosecution to show cause as to why the orders should not be granted in favour of Ogwuche.

On November 24, the two-count charge brought against Ogwuche was struck out by a Federal High Court in Abuja.

The two-count charge was struck out by Justice Adeniyi Ademola for want of diligent prosecution by the Inspector-General of Police and his prosecutors.

The suspect, who was in court, however, was not discharged, as he is been detained by the Department of State Security Service.

Ogwuche had earlier asked the court to compel the Attorney-General of the Federation and the SSS to either charge him to court or set him free.

Court Frees Alleged Nyanya Bombing Mastermind

Aminu_ogwucheThe two count charge brought against Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, the alleged mastermind of the the Nyanya bombing, has been struck out by a Federal High Court in Abuja .

The two count charge was struck out by Justice Adeniyi Ademola for want of diligent prosecution by the Inspector-General of Police and his prosecutors.

The suspect, who was in court, however was not discharged as he is been detained by the Department of State Security Service .

However, the hearing of his case for the enforcement of his fundamental human right has been adjourned to December 5

Ogwuche is asking the court to compel the Attorney-General of the Federation and the SSS to either charge him to court or set him free.

He contends that Section 35 of the 1999 Constitution is been violated by his continued detention since July 15 without trial.

However he was produced in court today in compliance with an earlier order of the court.

Mr Aminu Ogwuche was arrested in Sudan and brought to the country on the July 15, 2014 on charges of being the mastermind of the twin bombings in Nyanya, Abuja.

On his return the Department of State Service got a court order to remand him in their custody for further investigation .its been more than the 90 days requested by the department of state services and it has been unable to arraign the suspect .
According to the prosecution, the DSS is still drafting charges against the suspect and will arraign him at the appropriate time.

This decision was opposed by the accused who has filed a case alleging the violation of his fundamental rights.

Trial Of Nyanya Bomber Re-Scheduled To July 31

Aminu-OgwucheThe trial of one of the alleged masterminds of the April 14 bomb blasts which rocked a Bus terminal at Nyanya in the Abuja metropolis, before a Federal High Court did not hold as scheduled.

This was as a result of the inability of the Police to produce the suspect in court.

Counsel to the Nigerian Police, DSP Oloye Torubgene, told the court that the Police were yet to conclude the process of extraditing the suspect who had fled to Sudan after the incident before he was arrested with the help of the Interpol.

The Trial Judge, Justice Adeniyi Ademola, thereafter adjourned to July 1 for the suspect to be present in court to take his pleas and face trial.

The suspect, Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, aged 29, was alleged to have been the brain behind the plot and execution of the dastardly act where lives of hundreds of Nigerians were lost before he eloped to Sudan where he was later arrested with the assistance of the Interpol.

In a three count charge filed by the Nigerian Police before the Federal High Court, the suspected terrorist is alleged to have conspired with others said to be at large, to commit an act of terrorism by detonating improvised explosive devices at Nyanya Motor Park which resulted in the death of 75 persons and injuring over a hundred other persons.

The act is said to be punishable under section 17 of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act of 2013.

Count two of the charge read, “that Mr Ogwuche, and others now at large, on the 14th of April, 2014 did facilitate the activities of persons engaged in an act of terrorism; by detonating improvised explosive devices at the Nyanya Motor Park which resulted in the death of 75 persons and injuring over a hundred other persons and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 1 (2) (d) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act of 2013.”

FG Working To Ensure Speedy Extradition Of Sadiq Aminu- Omeri

sd_mike_omeri_on_making_the_foi_act_work_201212As the Federal Government awaits the extradition of Mr Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, a terror fugitive who was arrested in Sudan, Co-ordinator of the National Information Centre and Director General of the National Orientation Agency, Mr Mike Omeri today said relevant officials are working round the clock to fast track his extradition.

At a joint news briefing in Abuja, Mr Omeri announced the arrest of the father of Mr Sadiq Ogwuche who had earlier signed a bail bond for his son over his inability to produce him at a time he was needed by security agencies.

Mister Omeri also confirmed the Kala-Balge incident where local vigilante groups repelled an attack by Boko Haram insurgents and appealed to residents to protect and defend their communities.

Nyanya Blast Mastermind Arrested In Sudan-FG

Aminu-OgwucheFederal Government Wednesday evening confirmed the arrest of Abubakar Sadiq Ogwuche, the co-mastermind of the Nyanya bombing where close to 100 persons were confirmed dead and many others wounded.
On Monday, a sum of N25 million was offered as reward for anyone who provides information that will lead to the arrest of Ogwuche and Rufai Abubakar Tsiga while International Police (Interpol) issued an international warrant of arrest on the man said to be hiding in Sudan on Tuesday.
During the Monday briefing by spokesperson for the DSS, Marylyn Ogar, five suspects  were paraded in connection with the incident. They include Ahmad Abubakar (aka Abu Ibrahim/Mai Turare), Mohammed Ishaq, Yau Saidu (aka Kotar Rama) Anas Isah and Adamu Yusuf and all confessed to being privy to the plot to bomb Nyanya.
At the daily briefing of the National Information Centre on Wednesday however, Director General of National Orientation Agency (NOA) Mr. Mike Omeri who was supported by other members of the group announced that the alleged terrorist has been arrested in Sudan and is presently awaiting extradition back home to face charges.
The arrest was through the collaborative efforts of Interpol, Directorate of State Service (DSS), Nigeria Police and the Military Attaché to the Nigerian High Commission in Sudan.
Ogwuche, who is a student of Arabic Language at the International University of Africa, Sudan is a British born Nigerian who deserted the Army in 2006. His service number was SVC 95/104.
He served in the Intelligence Unit of the Nigerian Army at Child Avenue, Arakan Barracks, Lagos, between 2001 and 2006.
He was allegedly involved in terrorist activities which led to his arrest at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on Nov. 12, 2011 on arrival from the UK.
However, he was released on bail to his father, Col. Agene Ogwuche (Rtd) on Oct. 15, 2012, following intense pressure from human rights activists, who alleged human rights violation.
Responding to a question Ogar said “We should be happy that wherever a criminal is hiding, he will be fished out. Even if Nigerians would hide him others will fish him out. These terrorists live in our midst and we know them. The world is a small place now.”
About the abducted Chibok girls, Omeri disclosed that international operations to rescue the girls have entered a full swing although he did not give details.
He refuted insinuations that academic activities in the North Eastern parts of Nigeria have been completely paralysed and explained that schools in dangerous areas were shut while the pupils were merged with other schools with adequate security provided.
On the inability of government to rescue the girls after one month in captivity, Omeri said it was not a peculiar situation.
“When Americans were held hostage in Iraq, even though America knew where they were being kept, it took 200 days for them to be rescued. We do not even know where these girls are. We will rescue the girls but it will not take 200 days”, he assured.

FG Issues Interpol Arrest Warrant For Nyanya Bombing Suspect

The Federal Government has placed a British born army deserter, Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, who is suspectedNyanya Park Abuja to have connections with the April 14 Nyanya bus station bombing on Interpol red alert.

The Announcement was made by the Director General of the National Orientation Agency, Mr Mike Omeri in Abuja during the national briefing on security in Abuja yesterday.

The Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Frank Mba explained that the Interpol red alert represented an international warrant of arrest to the 190 member countries and consequent extradition of anyone placed on the red alert to the issuing country.

“Interpol red alert is an international request for cooperation. It is usually issues by the National Bureau of any of the member states and in this case, it is being issued at the instance of the Nigerian National Bureau of Interpol. Interpol red alert operates as an international warrant of arrest and consequently mandates security forces in its current 190 member states to join in the search and possible arrest of the fugitive who has been so cited in the Interpol red alert notice. We therefore believe that with this, Interpol will galvanise security forces worldwide to join in the search and consequent arrest and perhaps extradition of the fugitive who has been declared wanted by the DSS,” he said.

Also, the federal government has appealed to religious leaders in the country not to allow their members reduce the ongoing security challenge to a religious issue.

DSS Arrests Perpetrators Of April 14 Nyanya Bombing

DSS on Nyanya BombingThe Department of State Service, DSS, has arrested five men for the April 14 bombing of Nyanya Park in Abuja, Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory.

The DSS has also declared wanted one Rufai Abubakar Tsiga and Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche for allegedly masterminding the bombing.

Addressing a media briefing at the service headquarters in Abuja, the spokesperson of the service, Marilyn Ogar, while revealing the identities of those arrested, also revealed details of past encounters with one of those declared wanted.

She said: “It is noteworthy that the UK born Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, with Service Number 95/104 deserted the Nigerian Army in 2006. He served in the Intelligence Unit of the Nigerian Army between 2001 and 2006 and was posted to the Nigerian Defense Academy in 2006, but rather than reporting at the academy, he deserted.

“Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche was arrested by this service (DSS) on 12th November 2011 at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport Abuja on his arrival from the United Kingdom for suspected involvement in terrorism related activities, but was released on bail on 15th October 2012 to his father, a retired Colonel, Agene Ogwuche, following intense pressure from human rights activists who alleged human rights violation.”

She further stated that “Nigerian security forces shall not rest on their oars until every individual or group of persons involved in the Nyanya bombings are brought to book.”

Those arrested are Ahmad Rufai Abubakar, Muhammadu Sani Ishaq, Adamu Yusuf, Yau Saidu and Anas Isah.

The service, in addition, also announced a reward of 25million Naira for anybody with useful information on their whereabouts.

A bomb went off during morning rush hour on April 14 2014 at the Nyanya motor park Abuja, killing 75 people, injuring several others.