Trump Pays $2m In Damages To Charities After Court Ruling

 

Donald Trump on Tuesday paid $2 million in damages as part of a settlement over use of his former charity to further his political and business interests — the latest item on the US president’s list of legal woes.

Trump had been accused of using foundation funds to settle lawsuits, promote his Trump-branded hotels, and for personal spending, including the purchase of a portrait of himself to display at one of his golf clubs.

The $2 million was paid equally to eight different charities, including the Children’s Aid Society, the United Negro College Fund and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, according to a statement from New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat.

“Charities are not a means to an end, which is why these damages speak to the president’s abuse of power and represent a victory for not-for-profits that follow the law,” she said in the statement.

The payments were made the same day that Democrats in Congress unveiled two articles of impeachment against Trump, a momentous step asserting that he abused his office and deserved to be removed.

James filed the lawsuit against the Trump Foundation in June last year, accusing it of “persistently illegal conduct” that included improper coordination between the charity and his campaign team during his 2016 White House bid.

Trump agreed to shut down his personal charity in 2018, but the suit moved ahead regardless, as prosecutors sought millions of dollars in restitution and penalties.

The suit also said that in early 2016 while Trump was running for president, he organized what was billed as a Trump Foundation fundraiser but was actually a campaign event.

Trump had pushed back against the lawsuit, defending his organization’s work and lauding its financial responsibility.

“It has been 4 years of politically motivated harassment,” he said in a statement after the court ruling. “All they found was incredibly effective philanthropy and some small technical violations, such as not keeping board minutes.”

Trump faces ongoing legal troubles on multiple fronts. Courts have ordered that two banks must hand over to Congress documents related to the president’s finances, and he is fighting an attempt by a New York prosecutor to compel the release of eight years’ worth of tax returns, among other battles.

AFP

Otedola Donates N5bn To Charity

 

Executive Chairman of Geregu Power Plc, Mr Femi Otedola, has donated the sum of N5 billion to the Save The Children Foundation to help with their philanthropic work in Nigeria.

He made the donation at a Gold Gala organised by his daughter and the owner of the Cuppy Foundation, Florence Otedola (DJ Cuppy), to raise funds for ‘Save The Children’ for which she is an ambassador.

Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, also announced a donation of N100 million.

Others present at the event included: Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole; former Senate President, Bukola Saraki; Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babagana Kingibe; and billionaire businesswoman, Bola Shagaya.

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State was also present, as well as governors of Borno, Babagana Zulum, and Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun.

Save The Children is a century-old voice for children’s rights that has been operating in Nigeria since 2001.

According to the CEO, their programs in Nigeria have reached 23.5 million children in 2017 and 2018 with offices in 16 out of the 36 states in Nigeria.

Cuppy also took to her Instagram page to announce that the event was a success.

Two Aid Workers Killed In ‘Ambush’ In Western Ethiopia

 

 

Two staff members with Action Against Hunger have been shot dead by unidentified “armed individuals” in western Ethiopia, the aid group said.

Action Against Hunger said the aid workers were “ambushed” on Thursday while leaving Nguenyyiel Refugee Camp in the Gambella region.

The camp hosts tens of thousands of refugees from neighbouring South Sudan, which has been mired in civil war since 2013.

“Two employees were killed at the scene,” Action Against Hunger said late on Thursday.

“Action Against Hunger has suspended full operations in Gambella, but are maintaining the provision of life-saving assistance.”

READ ALSO: Zimbabwe Ex-President Robert Mugabe Dies Aged 95

The international humanitarian group also said it was “coordinating with the authorities who are investigating this attack.”

The office of the United Nations resident and humanitarian coordinator in Ethiopia condemned the attack.

“Attacks on aid workers in clearly marked humanitarian vehicles constitute a violation of international humanitarian law,” it said in a statement.

Neither Action Against Hunger nor the UN provided details in their statements on the nationalities of the dead or if there were any injured.

Niger Suspends Activity Of British Charity For Performing Illegal Abortions

Niger Map

Niger has ordered the closure of two centers run by British charity Marie Stopes International on grounds it was illegally performing abortions, the health minister told AFP on Tuesday. 

“We have decided to close this charity on grounds of a 2006 law which bans abortions,” said Health Minister Idi Illiassou.

“Our inquiries have shown that this non-governmental organization is enabling the voluntary interruption of pregnancy” but the partnership agreement with Niger “does not authorize this,” he said.

The charity, which operates in 37 countries and has been working in Niger since 2014, offers contraception and advice on managing unplanned pregnancies, including safe abortion services, its website says.

“The voluntary interruption of pregnancy should never be considered as a method of contraception, in any case,” reads the closure order relating to the two centers run by Marie Stopes in Niamey, the capital, and in Maradi, the country’s economic hub.

Niger allows abortion only in cases where the pregnancy endangers the mother’s life.

The charity was not immediately available for a response on the issue.

According to Illiassou, the British charity was terminating pregnancies through a method of “manual vacuum aspiration for a fee of 30,000 CFA francs (46 euros/$52)”, saying the government would take legal steps against those involved.

A source at the health ministry told AFP that police were currently searching for the charity’s “Nigerien accomplices” who had fled.

According to the charity’s website, it began assessment visits in 2013 “at the request of the Nigerian Ministry of Health” and began delivering contraceptive services a year later. Its first center opened in Niamey in 2016.

Figures relating to Marie Stopes’ work in Niger say 12,472 unintended pregnancies were prevented in 2017, and 4,748 unsafe abortions were prevented.

AFP

Don’t Discard Ramadan Lessons, Oshiomhole Tells Muslims

OshiomholeGovernor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has urged Nigerian Muslims to be guided by the invaluable lessons learnt during Ramadan as this would greatly mould their lives in the right path prescribed by Almighty Allah.

In his Eid-el-Fitr message signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Peter Okhiria, Governor Oshiomhole said that the messages of love, perseverance, self-denial, almsgiving and others learnt during the holy month of Ramadan should not be discarded but should be applied daily by the Muslim in total obedience to the injunctions of Almighty Allah.

“While I congratulate the Muslim faithful for the successful completion of the Ramadan, I urge them to sustain the spirit of godliness, charity, perseverance and spiritual intercession for the nation which were some of the lessons learnt during the Holy Month.

“Having observed strictly the injunctions of Almighty Allah through fasting and prayers and by offering Zakat, the lessons learnt during the Holy month should not be lost, rather they should be part of the daily lives of the true Muslim in his dealings with fellow Muslims and people of other faith.

“The spiritual intercession offered by the faithful during Ramadan for peace, progress and stability in Edo State and the nation should be sustained, especially as the state goes into another phase of its political life.

“I appeal to the faithful to continue to live in peace and harmony with all; to continue to lead by example in supplications to Allah for continued progress and development of our dear state.

“I wish the faithful joyous celebrations and showers of Allah’s blessings. Barka da sallah,” the Governor said.

Nigerians Don’t Place Enough Value On Human Life – Doctor

Ola OrekunrinThe Managing Director, Flying Doctors Nigeria Limited, Dr. Ola Orekunrin, on Saturday said that Nigerians do not place enough value on human life, while revealing that there were no charity organisations set up for soldiers in the Army.

Appearing as a guest on Sunrise, Orekunrin commended the efforts of the United States in finding the 234 abducted school girls, noting that the U.S. government had deployed one of its best drones, The Hawk, to help in the search.

This action, Orekunrin said was a strong indication of the value the American society placed on human life.

Contrary to the general attitude of blaming government for every ill, the doctor said it is not a government issue, stressing the need for citizens to also contribute.

“I think that we are very quick to point the finger at government but I had a quick look on Google (and) we dont have a single charity set up for our soldiers,” she said.

While on the programme, Orekunrin spoke about Nigeria’s first air ambulance service, which she founded five years ago. The service ensures that patients, especially those in rural or remote areas, in need of medical care are conveyed by a helicopter or a fixed wing jet to any location where the required medical care can be given.

She disclosed that her organisation in conjunction with the FRSC and aviation partners, OAS Helicopters, will stage the first road accident air-rescue in Nigeria on Wednesday.

Kate Henshaw Presents Book To Mrs. Imoke

Nollywood actress, Kate Henshaw has presented her Pictorial autobiography titled ‘Kate Henshaw: The World of an Actress, My Story’ to the wife of the Cross River State Governor, Mrs. Obioma Liyel-Imoke.

Making the presentation at Mrs. Imoke’s office in Calabar, Kate disclosed that the 360-page book is her contribution to efforts aimed at supporting certain charities.

According to her, part of the proceeds from the sale of the book will be donated to charities and most especially little Miss. Kiki whom she said was born without a skull and presently on admission at Johns Hopkins Hospital in the United States of America.

The governor’s wife who promised to support Kate Henshaw’s course also called on the public to contribute to Kate’s humanitarian gesture by buying a copy of the book which is currently on sale in the open market.

2015: With Or Without Contesting, Jonathan Will Be President – Asari Dokubo

Inspite of the crisis rocking the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) and the alleged desperation of the Northern elites to produce the next president of the country, a Niger Delta activist, Asari Dokubo has said that President Goodluck Jonathan will emerge as leader with or without a contest, hinting that there would be bloodshed otherwise.

Speaking on Politics Today, he said “2015 is already a settled matter; Goodluck Jonathan will be president in 2015. Whether they contest or they don’t contest, Goodluck Jonathan will be president,” he said adding that he would be ready for violence if needed.

He described claims that he only defends people or governments that benefit him as “an insult” on his person. “That’s an insult and they are lying and they will continue to lie and die in their lies,” he said.

He continued by saying “I am 50 years old. I fought all government. In the June 12 battle I was in the fore front, I did not gain”.

He stated that his allegiance is to President Jonathan because he is as an Ijaw man. He added that his support is biased because “charity begins at home”.

Abacha and Obasanjo had their supporters “so why should I leave my own?” he asked.

“Monkey no fine, him mama like am” he said.

He also denied benefiting from the abundance of crude oil in the Niger Delta and accused Aliko Dangote, Femi Otedola of reaping from that which belongs to him, his children and ancestors.

Billionaires PledgeTheir Fortunes To Bill Gates’ Charity

Nine more wealthy families and individuals have pledged to give at least half of their fortunes to charity as part of a philanthropic campaign by two of the world’s richest men, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

The Giving Pledge, which was launched by Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, and investor Buffett in 2010, said on Tuesday that billionaires joining the campaign included New York-based real estate magnate Stephen Ross.

The announcement came just a few days after Florida lawmakers shot down a bid by Ross’s Miami Dolphins NFL team to win tax dollars to help finance a $350 million upgrade of the Sun Life stadium outside Miami.

In addition to Ross, the new group of billionaires taking the pledge included hedge fund manager Paul E. Singer, the founder and president of Elliott Management Corp, and Sara Blakely, the founder of shapewear brand SPANX.

Forbes magazine has called Blakely the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire.

Entrepreneur Craig McCaw, who built McCaw Cellular into the largest U.S. cellular company, is also among new signatories together with his wife, Susan, as is Britain’s Lord Ashcroft.

The Giving Pledge does not accept money or tell people how to donate but asks billionaires to make a moral commitment to give their fortunes to charity during their lifetime or after death.

The Giving Pledge now has 114 signatories. The full list of billionaires, and personal letters from many outlining their charitable commitment, can be seen at www.thegivingpledge.org.