Suspects Remanded In Prison Over Death Of Delivery Man

Suspects Remanded In Prison Over Death Of Delivery ManPolice on Monday arraigned two suspects accused of conspiring and killing the delivery agent of an online marketing company in Port Harcourt before a Magistrate Court in the Rivers State capital.

Sodienye Mbatumukeke and Excel Naaba were said to have committed the act on March 25, 2017, after robbing the man of his mobile phones and later dumped his body in a septic tank.

The Chief Magistrate, Amadi Amadi-Nna, who declined jurisdiction on the matter, ordered the accused to be remanded in prison custody, pending the legal advice of the Rivers State Director of Public Prosecution.

A police source told Channels Television that investigations have so far revealed that the third accused, a female, has not been found to be connected to the murder, as she was found to have come around after the crime was committed.

An elder brother to the victim, Dolph Otu-Idam, urged well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid in ensuring that the culprits do not go unpunished.

“The stand of the family is that the company has not told us where my brother is and what happened to him. Secondly, coming to court, they just informed us right now; I have not eaten since morning.

“There is no preparation, the family does not even have a lawyer to defend the matter, because we have been getting threats that the family of the killers have money to throw here and there.

“We just have nowhere to run to as it stands, we are begging all well-meaning Nigerians to come to our aid,” he said.

Court Frees 35 Biafra Agitators In Port Harcourt

Court Frees 35 Biafra Agitators In Port HarcourtThe Rivers State Judiciary complex in Port Harcourt was full of jubilation as 35 pro-Biafra agitators were discharged.

The agitators were arrested by the Police on January 20, during a rally in solidarity for the inauguration of the U.S. President, Donald Trump.

They were charged by the Police on two counts bordering on conspiracy to commit treason and treasonable felony.

The Chief Magistrate, Andrew Jaja, freed the suspects for what he described as lack of diligent prosecution by the Police.

In his ruling on Friday, Justice Jaja held that neither the Attorney-General nor the Commissioner of Police showed up in court within the 20-day period as stipulated by law, to file the necessary court processes to show proof why the agitators should continue to be held in prison custody for the offences for which they were charged.

Ondo Court Jails 56-Year-Old Man For Forging Land Documents

Ogun Govt. Distributes C Of O To 1,000 BeneficiariesA Chief Magistrate Court in Akure, the capital of Ondo State, has sentenced a 56-year-old man, Ige Oloruntoba, to prison for forging land documents.

The court also ordered that a surveyor, Gbenga Adeyeye, 39 be reminded at Olokuta prison along Oloruntoba who was handed a six-month jail term.

The prosecutor, Mr Martins Olowofeso, had informed the court that Oloruntoba allegedly sold three plots of land located at Kajola Road with fake documents to one, Idowu Fasola Ogundipe.

The three plots of land were sold at the rate of 800,000 Naira each to Fasola on December 5, 2012 at Gaga Street in Akure.

Mr Olowofeso, who is a police official, also alleged that Adeyeye had damaged the property of Fasola at Kajola, Oda Road Akure.

Mr Adeyeye was said to have brought some officers of the Nigerian Army around April, this year, threatened and beaten Fashola to coma while they allegedly damaged the completed buildings at his residence in the same location.

One out of the three plots of land was sold to Adeyeye by Fasola at sum of N1.5 million.

Trouble started between the duo after Mr Adeyeye allegedly cut a portion of land belonging to Fashola.

In her ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Justice Victoria Bob-Manuel, sentenced the two accused persons to six months jail term at Olokuta Medium Prison, Akure.

The court gave them an option of presentation of surety, who should be under the employ of Ondo State Civil Service, with property located within the state and four years tax clearance as well as amount of 200,000 Naira each.

Mr Adeyeye was able to meet up with an option of fine while Oloruntoba was marched to the Olokuta prison.

Justice Bob-Manuel therefore adjourned the case to February 20 2016 for further hearing.

Alleged Yahoo Yahoo: Court Wants Oba Arrested To Face Trial

AbdulRasheed-Akanbi-Oluwo-of-Iwo-LandAn Osun State Chief Magistrate Court has issued a warrant of arrest against a first class traditional ruler in the state, the Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi after he failed to show up in court to defend allegations against him.

The arrest warrant is coming days after Chief Magistrate, Olusola Aluko, threatened at the last sitting of the court that if Oba Akanbi failed to appear before him in compliance with the order of the court on November 25, in a case filed against him by the Oluwo of Iwo-Oke, Oba Kadiri Adeoye, he would have no option but to issue a bench warrant for his arrest.

At Tuesday’s sitting, while the applicant, Oba Adeoye, was in court, the Oluwo of Iwo was conspicuously absent, a situation that drew the rage of Magistrate Aluko.

He had at the last sitting sent another monarch, Ologburo of Ogburo, Oba Asimiyu Sadiq, to represent him.

Counsel to the Oluwo of Iwo-Oke, Mr Soji Oyetayo, in his submission urged the court not to entertain any of the applications filed by the respondent until he complies with the order of the court.

He said: “The first respondent (Oba Akanbi) filed an application of stay of proceeding yesterday afternoon, so, I am of the opinion that he is not ready to move any application today.

“Meanwhile, the court made an order on 25 November, 2016 and up till now the order has not been complied with. The application asking for a stay of proceeding cannot stay the order already made.

“The order of the court is meant to be obeyed. The non-appearance of the first respondent in this matter is a flagrant disobedient of the order of the court”.

Counsel to Oba Akanbi, Mr Olayide Yekeen, explained that his client submitted the notice of preliminary objection, challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear the case on November 15 and that by careful perusal of the State Magistrate Law, Section 19:1, the court could not entertain the matter.

According to him, “it is the threshold of all cases that whenever the issue of jurisdiction is raised, it is to be taken first. On the issue of jurisdiction and the competence of the case, the respondent has the right to be heard first before any enquiry can be made in the matter”.

In his ruling, Magistrate Aluko stated that he agreed with the respondent’s counsel that the issue of jurisdiction must be treated first.

“On the order of the court made on November 25, 2016, the order remained. I hereby issue a bench warrant against the first respondent while further proceeding on the matter is adjourned to December 27, 2016,” he told the court.

Making Money Through “Yahoo Yahoo”

Oba Adeoye had approached the Magistrate Court accusing the Oluwo of Iwo of concealing some facts about his past to the state government when he was installed as a first class monarch about a year ago.

Oluwo-Oke in a 33-paragraph affidavit said Oba Akanbi’s character did not befit a person of his status and calibre as he was used to carrying armed thugs, miscreants and hoodlums around to harass, intimidate, molest and attack persons whom he perceived as his enemies.

He further alleged that Oba Akanbi forged his name to obtain travelling documents to the United States where he was jailed in New York City and deported to Nigeria in year 2000.

He added that Oba Akanbi later travelled out with his real name to Canada in 2001 and became a Canadian citizen but was also arrested in Toronto and was in jail between 2006 and 2007.

“These facts were concealed for the state government which appointed and installed him as the Oluwo of Iwo,” the suit read.

He also accused him of presently making money through the internet fraud otherwise known as “Yahoo Yahoo” and was using his palace as a cover-up.

But Oba Akanbi reacted to these allegations in a 13 paragraph affidavits through the Aremo of Iwo land, Mr Adelani Akanbi, describing the application filed against the Oluwo of Iwo by Oba Adeoye as “scandalous, vexations and designed to embarrass, blackmail and ridicule the monarch in the view of right thinking members of the society”.

Three Jailed For Six Months In Osun For Stealing Pineapple

89-Year-Old Man, Three Others Jailed For Land GrabbingThree persons have been sentenced to six months imprisonment by an Osogbo Magistrate Court for theft of pineapple.

The convicts faced three count charges of conspiracy, forcible entry and theft.

The convicts include, Azeez Olarewaju, 57, Sarafa Olarewaju , 33 and Ilutoye Olayode, 25.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Olusola Aliko, ordered that the convicts be kept behind bars due to the magnitude of the offense committed or pay an option of fine of 10,000 each.

The Prosecutor, Mr Idoko James, had told the court that the convicts committed the offense on August 4, 2008 at about 10 am at Igbo via Ejigbo in Osun State.

Idoko said the convicts conspired together to forcibly enter a parcel of land which was in custody of one Adeyemi Oyedemi without any justifiable reason.

He said the convicts stole palm fruits and pineapple valued about 300,000 Naira.

He also said that the incident almost led to breach of public peace before the intervention of the Nigerian Police.

The Prosecutor said the offense contravened sections 516, 81 and 383 of the Criminal Code cap 34 vol. 11 in the laws of Osun State.

Earlier, the counsel to the convicts, Mr Babatunde Akanbi, prayed the Magistrate to temper justice with mercy in his judgement after the convicts pleaded guilty to the three count charges against them.

Igbos In Kano Reject Release Of Blasphemy Killing Suspects

Igbos In Kano Reject Release Of Blasphemy Killing Suspects, Kano Killing
Suspected Killers Of Bridget Agbaheme

There is some tension in Kano state Nigeria following the ruling of the Magistrate Court which ordered the release of five people arrested in June over allegation of killing a Kano-based Igbo business woman identified as Bridget Agbahime.

Late Mrs Agbahime was said to have been killed by a mob after an alleged blasphemy on the prophet of Islam.

Five suspects, Dauda Ahmed, Abdulmumeen Mustafa, Zubairu Abubakar, Abdullahi Abubakar and Musa Abdullahi were slammed with a four-count charge of allegedly inciting disturbance, culpable homicide, joint act and mischief.

Justice Muhammad Jibrin discharged the case and directed the release of the suspects on ground that “Police investigation regarding the murder has not in any way implicated the accused and that prosecutors have failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused have indeed carried out the crime of killing Bridget”.

Channels TV Kano correspondent, Idris Jibrin reports that the November 4 ruling has been deemed unacceptable by most Igbos in Kano who believe that Police investigation into the matter was inconclusive or the judge might have been compromised.

The president of the Igbo community association in Kano, Chief Okey Iweoha, however, said that the executive of the union had not received any official notification regarding the discharge of the case.

The President of Imo State Indigenes in Kano, Emeka Nnaji, also said: “I was inside the Magistrate Court 20 when the suspects were released but then this should not be the reason for us to disrupt the relative peace in our host state of Kano.”

Meanwhile, the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 1, AIG Adamu Ibrahim, shortly after a closed-door meeting with Igbo leaders said that there is no cause for alarm,

“Institutions are established to address grievances, therefore I am urging you to not take law into your own hands. As security agents we will do our best to ensure that justice is done to all parties regardless of connection or status of the accused,” he promised.

The deceased, Bridget Agbahime had lived in Kano for over 30 years before she was killed.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has also condemned the reported release without trial of the five suspects.

In a statement signed by its Director of Legal and Public Affairs, Kwamkur Samuel, CAN described the purported handling of the June killing as highly provocative and insulting.

CAN Demands Justice For Victim Of Kano Blasphemy Killing

CAN Demands Justice For Victim Of Kano Blasphemy Killing
Suspected Killers Of Bridget Agbaheme

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) says it is deeply saddened by the news of the release without trial of the five suspects in the killing of a 74-year-old Christian woman, Mrs Bridget Agbahime, over allegations of blasphemy. 

In a statement signed by its Director of Legal and Public Affairs, Kwamkur Samuel, CAN described the purported handling of the June killing as highly provocative and insulting.

“The Association condemns the continuous act of killing of innocent Nigerians under the pretense of blasphemy and considers the willful absence of justice for victims of these mindless killings in Nigeria by the relevant authorities as a very serious constitutional breach and security threat to our unity and collective survival as a nation.

“The now-familiar tradition of avoidance to arrest or properly investigate and prosecute cases involving the deliberate killing of innocent Nigerians is evidence of a scripted plan to operate another nation within the Nigerian state and to deny justice to those who truly deserve justice.

“The cardinal responsibility of Government to protect the lives and property of the citizens is sacrosanct and must not be sacrificed on the altar of religious convenience.

“As it stands today, there is no single prosecution record of any criminal who killed under the pretence of blasphemy in Nigeria despite the number of victims and incontrovertible facts showing that those killings were done in daylight and mostly by persons who live within the communities where these heinous crimes were committed,” the statement reads.

The Association called on the Kano State Government and the Inspector General of Police to ensure that justice is served in the matter, adding that “the act of condoning crass criminality in the name of blasphemy deserves greater attention and broader treatment in this era of transforming the mindset of the citizens to work toward progressive change”.

The association vowed that as the umbrella body of Christians in Nigeria, it would not relent in its effort to ensure that justice is served on the religiously intolerant and to ensure that all Nigerians are treated equally irrespective of their faith, social status and where they come from.

They sympathized with the family of the Kano victim over the reported outcome of the case.

The Kano magistrates’ court on Thursday (Nov. 3) discharged all the five suspects, who allegedly killed the female trader in Kano on June 2 over allegations of blasphemy.

The suspects, Dauda Ahmed, Abdulmumeen Mustafa, Zubairu Abubakar, Abdullahi Abubakar and Musa Abdullahi were slammed with a four-count charge of allegedly inciting disturbance, culpable homicide, joint act and mischief.

74-year-old Mrs Agbahime was murdered in Kofar Wambai market after a reported disagreement with the suspects.

The Chief Magistrate, Muhammad Jibril, discharged the five suspects and terminated the case as advised by the Attorney-General of Kano state.

Court Frees Suspects Of Kano Blasphemy Killing

Court Frees Suspects Of Kano Blasphemy KillingThe Kano magistrates’ court on Thursday discharged all the five suspects, who allegedly killed a female trader, identified as Bridget Agbahime in Kano on June 2 over allegations of blasphemy.

The suspects, Dauda Ahmed, Abdulmumeen Mustafa, Zubairu Abubakar, Abdullahi Abubakar and Musa Abdullahi were slammed with a four-count charge of allegedly inciting disturbance, culpable homicide, joint act and mischief.

74-year-old Mrs Agbahime was murdered in Kofar Wambai market after a reported disagreement with the suspects.

The Chief Magistrate, Muhammad Jibril, discharged the five suspects and terminated the case as advised by the Attorney-General of Kano state.

Police arraign 13 suspects over Aluu killings

13 persons including the 59-year-old traditional ruler of Aluu, Alhaji Hassan Welewa, were on Wednesday arraigned before a Port Harcourt Magistrate Court, over their alleged role in the killing of four students of the University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

The accused persons includes ex-sergeant Lucky Orji 43, Lawal Segun 28, Cynthia Chinwo 24, George Nwadei 20 and Ekpe Daniel 30 years old.

Others were, Okoghiroh Endurance 24, Gabriel Oche 33, Ozioma Abajuo 23, Endurance Edet 27, Ikechukwu Louis Amadi (aka Kapoon) 32, David Chinasa Ogboda 30, and Chigozie Evans Samuel 22 years.

The accused persons are facing a five-count charge, which included conspiracy and murder.

Count 1 charge reads that the 13 accused persons and others at large on October 5, 2012, at Omuokiri, Aluu community in the Port Harcourt Magisterial District, did conspire amongst themselves to commit felony to wit: murder and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 324 of the Criminal Code Cap 37 laws of Rivers State, 1999.

Count 2 reads that the accused persons and others at large on the same date and place in the aforesaid Magisterial District “did murder one Ugonna Obuzor by lynching and burnt him to death and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 319 of the Criminal Code cap 37 volume 111 laws of Rivers State, 1999.

They were also accused of murdering Lloyd Toku Mike, Chiadika Biringa and Tekena Elkanah, by lynching and burning them to death and thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 319 of the Criminal Code Cap 37 volume 111 laws of Rivers State, 1999.

No plea was taken, and the Chief Magistrate, Emmanuel Woke, of Court 1, ordered that the accused persons should be remanded in prison custody.

Magistrate Woke stated that the court lacked the jurisdiction to try the case due to its nature and directed their case files to the Director of Public Prosecution for legal advice.

He adjourned the matter till December 20, 2012, for continuation.