Former Kaduna Governor Advises FG Against Re-Arrest Of Kanu

IPOB Will Never Be Violent, Says Nnamdi Kanu

A former military governor of Kaduna State, Colonel Abubakar Umar (retd), has advised the Federal Government against re-arresting the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Mr Nnamdi Kanu.

In a statement he issued on Wednesday, the former military officer said such a move would be dangerous and politically unwise.

The former governor’s comments are in reaction to the motion on notice filed by the Federal Government at a Federal High Court last.

In the application, the government had asked the court to revoke Mr Kanu’s bail and order his re-arrest for violating the conditions of his bail.

But Umar prefers a different approach to the matter.

“Reports in the media indicate that the Federal government has asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to revoke the bail granted Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and have him re-arrested. This is both dangerous and politically unwise,” he said.
He added, “Nigeria’s unity can only be guaranteed when all its citizens feel they are given a fair deal; when all its component parts are treated justly and equitably. When none feels oppressed.”

The governor also spoke about calls for restructuring and the mood in the country.

“President Buhari’s insistence that the unity of Nigeria is a sealed issue is a nationalistic wish and is no surprise coming from a veteran of the civil war fought to keep the country one. However, this does not take into account the mood of the nation as indicated by the growing agitations for self-determination, restructuring and many other similar demands,” he said.

“If indeed the President is able to ignore and silence those agitators, it will be a case of suspended animation. All indications are that Nigeria has become so polarized that it requires a strong personality like Buhari to sustain its fragile unity. Needless to say that this does not bode well for the survival of the nation.”

Police Up Security In Kaduna Ahead Of Christmas

Nigeria_Police_Armoured_Personnel_CarrierThe Kaduna Police Command has assured residents of the state of adequate security ahead of the Christmas and new year celebrations.

The State Commissioner of Police, Mr Agyole Abeh, who briefed reporters in his office on Friday, said the police would ensure a crime-free yuletide.

He also advice residents to be vigilant and report suspicious movements and strange gatherings to security agencies during the festive period.

The Commissioner disclose that both conventional and mobile policemen would be deployed to motor parks, highways, worship centres, fun places and other public places across the state all in order to safeguard lives and property of citizens before, during and after the festivities.

Mr Abeh reiterated that fireworks and canisters had been banned in the state and however warned parents to be mindful of the activities and whereabouts of their children during the festive season.

“The Kaduna Police Command has made elaborate plans to ensure the safety of our citizens during this period. We have set up various security measures intended to give citizens sense of security in the state.

“We have mapped out plans, set up check points, that intend to scrutinise motorists. Honestly speaking, we are taking these measures for the interest of security of the state.

“The command has also deployed police mobile force and some conventional ones to strategic positions in the state so as to assist in securing especially the state capital and its environs,” Mr Abeh told Channels Television.

He pointed out that most activities would occur in the state capital during the celebration and gave the assurance that the police were determined to make the city secured.

The commissioner further announced that adequate measures had been put in place to ensure quick response by the Police to complaints from the general public.

“We have patrol teams stationed in strategic positions that will respond within the shortest possible Time. My intention is that our response time will not be more than ten minutes,” he stated.

Ahead of the Christmas celebration on Sunday, Channels Television’s correspondent, Chimezie Enyiocha, who went round the city,  reports that there were presence of armed security operatives along the major roads and other strategic places.

 

 

Godogodo Village Attack: Death Toll Rises To 44

godogodo, death toll, kadunaThe death toll from the attack on Godogodo village in Kaduna state, northwest Nigeria has risen from 20 to 44.

Gunmen invaded Godogodo village on Saturday night, shooting sporadically and setting buildings ablaze.

At least 20 people were killed and property destroyed during the attack. This led to the imposition of a dusk to dawn curfew in the village in Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna state.

But during a visit to the area by the state government officials, led by the Deputy Governor, Mr Bala Bantex, the residents revealed that the armed men unleashed violence again on the community early on Monday.

They accused security agents of not responding quickly to the numerous calls for help by the residents while the violence lasted.

Meanwhile the state government has promised to alleviate the suffering of the victims, through the intervention of the National and State Emergency Management Agencies.

The state’s Deputy Governor, Bala Bantex, advised residents to remain calm, just as government officials began an assessment of the extent of damage done.

Govt. Imposes 24-Hour Curfew After Gunmen Killed 20 Persons In Kaduna

Attack on Community in KadunaAt least 20 persons have been killed and property destroyed in an attack by unknown armed bandits on Godogodo village in Jemaa Local Government Area of Kaduna State in northern Nigeria.

An indigene of the local government told Channels Television, that the gunmen invaded Godogodo village On Saturday night shooting sporadically and setting buildings ablaze.

“In the process they killed 20 persons while several others were injured,” the indigene said.

“The entire community has been deserted. Residents have fled from their homes for fear of being attacked by the armed bandits,” he added.

The gunmen were said to have also ambushed a police patrol team in the area on Friday evening, opened fire on them and in the process killed two policemen and injured one.

The spokesman for the police in the state, Aliyu Usman, confirmed the attack to Channels Television’s correspondent, Chimezie Enyiocha.

He says the State Police Command is assessing the situation to ascertain the number of casualties.

More mobile and conventional policemen have been deployed to Godogodo, Kafanchan and other neighbouring communities to restore order and prevent further escalation of the crisis.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

In the meantime, a dusk to dawn curfew has been imposed in the affected areas by the interim Chairman of Jemaa Local Government Area, Mr Humble Katuka, until normalcy returns to the area.

In his reaction to the attack, the State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, described the incident as barbaric, inhumane and unwarranted.

Speaking through his Deputy, Mr Bala Bantex, the governor appealed to residents of the community to remain calm and law abiding, assuring them that the government would do everything within its powers to restore peace in the area.

He also cautioned them not to embark in any form of reprisal attacks.

Communities in Jemaa Local Government and Sanga Local Government Areas in Kaduna State have witnessed series of attacks that have left scores of people dead.

In August this year, gunmen attacked three villages, Godogodo, Akwa’a and Anguwan Anjo.

Eleven persons were killed in that attack, with several houses and farmlands destroyed.

Kaduna Refinery Resumes Production At 60 Per cent Capacity

Refinery-KadunaThe Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company (KRPC) has resumed refining of petroleum products at 60 percent installed capacity, eight months after it stopped operation.

This was disclosed by the company’s Managing Director, Engineer Saidu Mohammed.

He said the commencement of production followed a successful completion of Turn Around Maintenance of the plants by local engineers which lasted for 18 months.

Channels Television’s correspondent, Chimezie Enyiocha, visited the refinery to get an update of the level of activities on the long abandoned oil production company.

He reports that the last time the plants operated was in January 2015, after which they were shut down.

Originally designed to refine 110,000 barrels of crude per day when produced at full installed capacity, the Kaduna refinery presently refines 36,000 barrels of crude per day and produces 3,083,100 litres of petrol, 1,233 litres of kerosene and 2,102.400 litres of diesel daily.

The management says the figures will increase by the time production hits 90 percent installed capacity by the first quarter of 2016.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) currently imports 50 per cent of the petroleum products into the country as part of the 40 million litres daily consumption by Nigerians.

The engineer in charge of production at the refinery, Shehu Malami, noted that when the refinery operates at 60 percent capacity, it will save the nation the following amount; $117,218 million daily on importation of LPG, $1.261 million daily on importation of PMS, $448, 364 daily on importation of kerosene, $759, 436 daily on diesel and $484,871 daily on importation of fuel oil.

This figure represents a total saving of $3.071 million daily for fuel imports only.

Despite the resumption of operations at Kaduna and other refineries, the long queues are yet to disappear in most parts of the north. This could be attributed to pipeline vandalism and the inability of the PPMC to resume lifting of refined products.

The Muhammadu Buhari administration since it came on board over two months ago, is determined to end petrol importation by revamping the once moribund refineries.

It is hoped that the resumption of refinery activity will improve the supply of fuel in Africa’s largest oil producer and allow the country to make savings on refined fuel and other petroleum products.

Hundreds Displaced As Flood Destroys 180 Houses In Sokoto, Kaduna

Sokoto_Flood
File photo

Reports says hundreds of people in Gwadabawa Local Government Area of Sokoto State in Nigeria’s North West region have been rendered homeless by flood after a heavy downpour.

About 150 houses in several villages are said to have been hit by flood, including the headquarters of Gwadabawa Local Council, but authorities say no life was lost in the disaster.

Some of the residents in the areas affected by the flood say their storage for farm produce were also destroyed. They lament how flood waters washed their harvested crops away.

The National Emergency Agency (NEMA) said there have been heavy rains in Sokoto and Yobe States since the early hours of Wednesday, August 5.

Meanwhile, authorities are said to be making efforts at providing relief materials for victims of the disaster as some of them are left to squat with relatives and friends pending when help would come for them.

Similarly in Kaduna State, also in Nigeria’s north -west region, residents of Kaduna metropolis on Wednesday morning, witnessed an unusual heavy downpour that lasted for over seven hours.

The rainfall also caused massive floods in some parts of the city.

Channels Television’s correspondent in Kaduna State, Chimezie Enyiocha, reports that the rainfall, which started as early as six O’clock in the morning and lasted till One O’Clock in the afternoon, flooded Abubakar Kigo Road New Extension, with over 30 houses submerged.

Some of the affected residents attributed the flood to lack of adequate drainage system, but, however, blamed the State government for their woes.

The area is very close to the popular Kaduna River. It also has a swampy topography, which makes it very easy for water to penetrate people’s houses whenever there is a heavy downpour.

Although NEMA had advised residents in flood-prone areas, particularly in Abubakar Kigo Road New Extension, Gonin-Gora, Karatudu, Ungwar Rimi and Tudun Wada areas, to relocate before the rains started. The residents have refused to move out due to claims of inability to secure an alternative home without cash back up.

Some residents, whose houses were submerged by flood, have started moving out their property to safer places and it is not certain when they will return.

At a stakeholder’s sensitisation workshop on flood mitigation on Wednesday, August 5, the North West Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Musa Illalah, warned of likely water surplus and increase in stream flows that may consequently affect dam storage.

The NEMA Coordinator, who was represented by an official in the agency, Mrs Amina Ibrahim, also warned residents on the negative impact of poor liquid and solid waste management system during the rainy season.

Kaduna is one of the states in Nigeria that were affected by the 2013 flood disaster, with over 500 houses and property worth millions of Naira destroyed during the incident.