Fashola Has Released Names Of Alleged Corrupt Contractors, Says SERAP

 

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) says it has received details of some alleged corrupt contractors from the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola.

In a statement issued on Sunday by its Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare, SERAP said the minister forwarded some documents from some of the ministry’s agencies, providing some level of details regarding the names of contractors that allegedly collected money for electricity projects but failed to execute any projects.

The human rights group cited the ministry’s letter with reference number FMP/LU/R2K/2016/T/40 and signed on Fashola’s behalf by the Permanent Secretary for Power, Louis Edozien, which was sent to the group, last week.

READ ALSO: N169.74bn Road Projects To Be Completed In Four Years, Says FG

The letter named an Abuja based company, which was in 2014 awarded a contract for the supply and installation of test and maintenance equipment relays, among others to various NAPTIN regional training centers.

Fashola is yet to react to SERAP’s claim as at the time of writing this report.

Out of the total contract sum of N87.7 million, the amount of N79.4 million was paid to the company, but only 13 of the 19 items have so far been supplied, with six items outstanding.

“We welcome Mr Fashola’s latest response and the information regarding Pow technologies limited. But we need details of names of other contractors that have collected public funds yet failed to execute power projects.

“We will continue to push the ministry and its agencies to reveal more details of alleged corrupt contractors and companies,” the statement read in part.

SERAP had in February 2019, filed a suit at the Federal High Court in Lagos, seeking “an order of mandamus directing Mr Fashola to provide specific details on the names and whereabouts of the contractors who collected public funds meant for electricity projects but never executed them.”

Contractor Returns N2.2m Erroneously Paid To Company

The Otukpo Local Government chairman, Mr. George Alli has returned the sum of N2.2 million to the Benue State Universal Basic Education Board, after a company he previously had an interest in, got the said payment erroneously.

The returned money is part of the N7.6 billion UBEC/Benue State Government counterpart fund raised to construct 740 new primary school classroom projects across the state.

“I got alerted from Union Bank and when I went through the alert, I saw a payment of about two million, two hundred and ninety-seven thousand and I ask if we are expecting money from SUBEB, I use to have full interest in Zaginas Nigeria Ltd before I resigned to run for political office”.

“I asked the general manager of the company to write a letter to SUBEB, informing them of the wrong payment into the account and that they should investigate how that money came in, and they wrote us back to return the money and that is what we have done today”.

Acknowledging receipt of the money, the state government, advised Nigerians to uphold the virtues of integrity, honesty, and patriotism for the common good of the society, as the returned sum will help in completing the 740 primary school classroom projects across the state.

The Chief Accountant of SUBEB, Mr. James Hon, urged Mr. George Alli to remain steadfast to his integrity and promised to earn transparency in the payment and completion of the projects.

“On the 31st of July 2017, we received a letter from Zaginas telling us that, sum money was deposited into its account and it was not expecting any money, money that was supposed to be for paying contracts executed for SUBEB, and I wrote the Director of Physical Planning to investigate why the certificate was raised in favour of Zaginas, but unfortunately, he told us that the file has been taken to Abuja and cannot be verified until that file returns”.

” We are in very hard times and people are looking for money, by all means, a patriotic Nigerian who had been paid money he was not expecting, voluntarily returns it, this is something that is highly commendable and I call on other Nigerians to emulate this kind of gesture”.

Obiano Targets Rural Areas’ Development With Road Projects

Anambra-State-Governor-Willie-ObianoThe Governor of Anambra State is optimistic that the Iyiora-Anam Bridge in Anambra West Local Government Area and other ongoing road projects will open up the rural areas and provide better access to an oil producing community of the state.

Governor Willie Obiano and the Commissioner of Works, Mr Lawrence Chinwuba on Saturday inspected the projects that have reached advanced stage, with the contractor giving the assurance that the projects would be ready by May.

The bridge which is 108 metres in length, with a height of about 13 meters, is critical to the road project, as it makes for easy accessibility of the community by heavy duty trucks that will be plying the road on completion. The road leads to the oil producing community of the state.

The Governor expressed satisfaction with the quality and the pace of work on the entire road project during his inspection tour.

It is a massive road construction on the 7.8 kilometre Iyiora-Anam Road in Anambra West Local Government Area which is a critical project due to the swampy nature of the area, as it is always flooded each year and the intervention of the state government in fixing it has brought relief to the people.

The contractor, Mr John Nasir, said the bridge was designed in consideration of the high level of flood experienced in the area.

In continuation of the projects’ tour with other stakeholders, the Governor inspected the Mmiata-Anam-Nzam Road, where two kilometre of earth work out of the whole 11 kilometre road has been done by the contracting firm with high hopes of delivering the project by December.

The Governor said that the reason behind embarking on the project in spite of the economic crunch was to ameliorate the suffering of the people of the area who are seemingly forgotten by every administration in Anambra State due to the impossible terrain of their area.

The last project inspected was the Kwatta flyover which was over 85 per cent completed.

The flyover bridge, aside decongesting the heavy traffic always experienced at the junction, will boost the aesthetic landscape of the capital city.

It is the last of the three bridges initiated by the Willie Obiano administration and expected to be completed in April this year.

Al-Makura Revokes Eggon Township Road Contract

Governor Tanko Al-Makura of Nasarawa state has ordered the immediate revocation of the contract for the construction of the Eggon township roads over shoddy execution of the work.

Work on the five kilometre long township road commenced 10 months ago but was abandoned by the contractor.

Although the contractor was not on ground to explainwhy the project had been left uncompleted, the governor said the contractor will be made to refund part of the N80 million it was paid.

While inspecting the road, Governor Al-makura expressed regret over the contractor’s poor handling of the project and directed the state urban development board to take over the contract.

Plans are now underway to evaluate what the contractor has expended on the work as the state government has said it will demand a refund.

The Eggon township road is said to be one of the 15 urban roads the state government had planned to commission before the end of the year.

 

Uncompleted 3-storey building collapses in Owerri, worker trapped inside

A 3-storey building under construction along Works Layout in Owerri the Imo state capital has collapsed.

Sources said the building collapsed around 11 pm yesterday night during a heavy downpour.

It was also disclosed that a 28 year old man identified as Joseph Ekanem  a carpenter who happens to be one of the workers  inside the building have been trapped inside, even though they cannot ascertain if there are more workers trapped inside and they cannot ascertain as there are 6 workers working in the building on daily basis.

Sources also disclosed that the owner of the building who lodged in a hotel close to the building came to the scene of the incidence but quickly locked up the building and ran away, when Channels Television contacted him on the phone, he denied ownership of the building.

At the time of filing this report, State emergency management agency (SEMA), Imo rescue team, Road Safety and combined security operatives in the state forcefully broke into the premises in order to rescue the trapped man.

However, some of the people living in the neighbourhood attributed the collapse to quack and shabby job by the contractor as the foundation is not strong enough to carry a 3-storey building.