COVID-19 Lockdown: Cleric, Clubbers Among 620 Violators Arrested In Lagos

Police-Policeeeee
A file photo of a police patrol van.

 

 

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a total of 620 people for violating the lockdown order directed by President Muhammadu Buhari.

President Buhari had issued the directive in March, as well as in Ogun and the Federal Capital Territory, to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The spokesman for the police command, Bala Elkana, confirmed the arrest of the violators in a statement on Sunday.

He explained that the arrests were made in three days while those apprehended included a cleric, strippers and clubbers, and travellers coming from different parts of the country.

READ ALSO: Four More States Record Index Cases Of COVID-19

“On 21/4/2020 at about 2000hours, acting on information, operatives from Denton Police Station arrested 95 inter States travellers at Bhojson area, Ebute Metta in seven commercial buses,” Elkana said.

He noted that the buses were impounded while the drivers and passengers were charged to a Mobile Court and sentenced accordingly.

The command’s spokesman added that 211 violators of the lockdown order were arrested in different parts of the state and also charged to court.

On Thursday last week, he said the police arrested 10 suspects for organising a party at Lekki Garden and were arraigned in court on three counts charges and found guilty as charged.

The court, Elkana stated, sentenced the suspects to six months imprisonment and community service, to run concurrently.

He disclosed that 121 other violators of the lockdown order were arrested in different parts of Lagos and charged to court and were awarded fines ranging from N5,000 to N10,000 and two hours of community services.

“On 24/4/2020 at about 0130hours, acting on credible intelligence, operatives from Idimu Police Station arrested 39 suspects in a hotel at Idimu, for clubbing and striptease. This is in total violation of the lockdown order and social distancing regulations.

“Also, on 24/4/2020 at about 2030hours, Enforcement team from the Rapid Response Squad arrested one Suleiman Abubakar, the Imam of Sheik Central Mosque, Mile 12 for holding evening prayers (Maghrib and Isha prayers) in the mosque with a large number of worshippers in violation of the social distancing regulations.

“A total of 288 violators of the lockdown order were over the weekend, arrested in different parts of the state,” the state government said.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos, Hakeem Odumosu, has urged the residents to continue to be law-abiding, especially during the lockdown period.

He warned against spreading fake news to create panic and recycling old videos on social media with new captions that suggest that the incidents happened during the lockdown period in Lagos.

PHOTOS: Truck Filled With People Apprehended In Abia Amid COVID-19 Lockdown

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.
Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

 

The Abia state border patrol team on Friday apprehended a truck filled with people during a stop-and-search exercise amid a COVID-19-induced lockdown.

The vehicle’s driver said he was transporting essential goods.

According to the state commissioner, Homeland security, Dan Okoli, the women claimed they are traders from Akwa Ibom.

They were sent back to Akwa Ibom, while the driver remains in custody with the vehicle impounded, the commissioner said.

He noted that importing people to the state during the lockdown will not be tolerated.

Abia state currently has two active COVID-19 cases, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

On April 17, the state government extended lockdown measures indefinitely to stem the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

 

Below are photos of the incident:

 

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

Some persons were apprehended inside a truck in Abia state amid a lockdown on April 24, 2020.

 

 

 

Lockdown: PDP Asks FG To Suspend ATM, Electricity Charges

 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has asked the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to open an arrangement with commercial banks for the suspension of charges for use of ATM cards.

It also called for the suspension of charges for low amount mobile fund transfers, as part of measures to ease the burden of poor Nigerians during the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown.

In a statement on Sunday by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, the PDP noted that the lockdown has subjected majority of Nigerians to extensive use of ATM and mobile transfers for survival, making the suspension of charges on minimal transactions within this period of restriction highly imperative.

READ ALSO: Borno, Akwa Ibom Record First COVID-19 Deaths As More Patients Recover

“The party notes that the lifting of the charges within the period of this pandemic will ease the burden on cash withdrawals by our vulnerable citizens, as well as encourage more Nigerians to support one another at this critical time.

“The PDP demands the CBN to immediately liaise with commercial banks and stimulate a special social sustenance modality to defray the cost of such charges, particularly to cover minimal transactions in favour of vulnerable Nigerians,” the statement said.

 

Crippled By COVID-19 Lockdown

The party also urged the Federal Government to activate similar social sustenance scheme to cover electricity tariff, particularly in areas populated by low income and vulnerable Nigerians across the country within the period of the lockdown.

It asked the government to show compassion on suffering Nigerians whose means of subsistence has been crippled by the lockdown and provide funds to electricity distribution companies to activate the tariff suspension within the period.

The PDP advised the government to commence the collation of data from trade unions and corporative societies covering low-income groups such as market women, motorcycle riders, artisans, cab drivers, and labourers among others, for possible economic recovery funds and loans to sustain their businesses at the end of the lockdown.

“Our citizens are passing through very difficult and harrowing experiences and our party is worried that the Federal Government has so far failed to reach most vulnerable Nigerians, whose survival directly depends on daily income in the markets, shops and streets, have been crippled by the COVID-19 lockdown.

“Consequently, the PDP restates its call on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately extend similar financial intervention that was released to Lagos State to all other states of the federation,” the statement added.

According to the party, the President should take immediate steps to end the alleged corruption in his administration’s social intervention scheme, through which palliatives funds meant for Nigerians were purportedly squandered by officials.

It said such funds should be channelled to states for disbursement through the machinery of local governments, traditional institutions, and community leadership to ensure that they reached the target vulnerable groups.

“Moreover, our party charges the Federal Government to open up on the billions of naira so far donated by private individuals, firms, as well as donor agencies and immediately constitute an Eminent Nigerian Group drawn from the private sector to manage the fund to eliminate corruption, bureaucratic and political bottlenecks.

“Our primary focus as a party remains the welfare of our citizens as we stand with them in this battle to check the spread of COVID-19 pandemic in our country,” it stated.

Why FG Will Continue Feeding Programme Despite School Closure – Minister

A file photo of the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq.

 

 

The Federal Government says the School Feeding Programme will continue despite the closure of schools nationwide in order not to neglect malnourished children.

Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq, disclosed this while responding to questions at the national briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja on Tuesday.

According to the Minister, modalities on how free food will be distributed to children in 3million households are currently being developed and will be implemented soon.

“On the issue of malnourished children, Mr President has directed that we should continue with the Home Grown School Feeding Programme without compromising the objectives of the programme.

“We are finalising modalities to distribute food vouchers for food of up to three million households. Other modalities once finalised with approval from the President will be prioritised,” she said.

The Minister added that the Federal Government has secured support the World Food and has adopted door-to-door voucher distribution.

The school feeding programme was introduced in 2016 as part of the Social Investment Programme of President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration.

The programme aims to support states to collectively feed over 24 million school children, which will make it the largest school feeding programme of its kind in Africa.

COVID-19 Lockdown: SGF Asks Law Enforcement Agencies To Exercise Caution

Senate Asks Police To Reduce Highway Roadblocks In South-East
A file photo of policemen.

 

 

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, has called on law enforcement agencies to exercise caution while carrying out their duties.

Mustapha, who is the Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, made the call on Friday during a press briefing on coronavirus in Abuja.

He urged the agencies to be subtle in the course of enforcing the lockdown order in Lagos and Ogun States, as well as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

[READ ALSO] COVID-19: Four More Persons Discharged, Says Sanwo-Olu

“The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 finds it very necessary to appeal to our law enforcement agencies to deploy tact and caution in the course of enforcing the rules, even, in the face of provocation,” the SGF stated.

He added, “We similarly appeal to all Nigerians to be law-abiding, exercise patience and self-restraint.

“The message from Mr President is that no Nigerian should on account of these rules suffer any harm or pains during this period or at any time in our national life.”

The SGF, Boss Mustapha, addressing a press conference in Abuja on April 3, 2020.

 

 

The task force chairman noted that the team has continued to monitor the situation across the country.

He revealed that they have been receiving positive reports that there has been a high level of compliance with the lockdown orders in Lagos, Ogun, and Abuja.

According to Mustapha, coronavirus remains a potential danger to all of humanity and it threatens Nigeria’s economy and national security.

He, therefore, called on the people to play their part in the national response very seriously, as the Federal Government ensure measures to curb the spread of the disease.

The SGF said, “The Federal Government has ramped up its synergy with the state governments through video-conferencing communication and the platform of the Governors’ Forum.

“By these measures, a lot of gaps are being closed for uniformity of purpose.”

COVID-19 Lockdown: Stalls Selling Food And Groceries Will Open Every 48 Hours – FG

 

The Federal Government has announced that only shops and stalls selling food and groceries will be allowed to open to customers in states where a lock down was imposed, between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm every 48 hours or less frequently. 

The National Co-ordinator of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Aliyu Sani, said this on Wednesday during a briefing by members of the task force.

“For markets, only shops and stalls selling food and groceries shall be allowed to open to customers between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm,” he said.

Meanwhile, for supermarkets and food stores, their opening hours must be between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm and all owners and managers have been warned to screen staff and customers before entry.

Read Also: Over 2,000 Persons Have Been Tested For COVID-19 – Health Minister

“On arrival, all staff must be screened for a high temperature and all those found to have a high body temperature above 38, will be denied entry and advised to seek immediate medical attention.

“All deliveries for supplies and products for these supermarkets must be made between the hours of 5:00 am and 9:00 am,” Sani added.

He further stated that at any point in time, the total number of customers inside each store must not exceed a third of the store’s total capacity.

After their closure at 4:00 pm, Sani urged shop owners to ensure that all shelves, aisles and stores are cleaned and disinfected and by 6:00 pm, staff are conveyed back to their respective homes.

N/B: An earlier version of this story suggested that the opening of markets would be daily, however, while the time of opening remains between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, it is pertinent to note that the markets will only operate alternate day.