Plateau Government Imposes Curfew On Bassa LGA

Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong

 

The Plateau State Government has imposed a dusk to dawn curfew on Bassa Local Government Area of the state with immediate effect.

The state government announced the curfew on Wednesday after yet another attack in the state.

A statement by the government said the 6 pm to 6 am curfew follows the attack in the morning in Dong and Rafiki communities led to the loss of lives and destruction of property.

Security agencies in the affected local government area have been mandated to enforce the curfew while law abiding citizens are advised to go about their lawful business.

Plateau State has witnessed at least four attacks since President Buhari visited the state on Thursday, last week.

Security operatives confirmed Wednesday’s attacks but could not give full details about the casualty figure.

Channels TV correspondent gathered that at least seven people were injured and one feared killed.

The attack came less than 24 hours after 25 people were killed at Dundu village, also in Bassa LGA.

Ortom Imposes Curfew On Motorcyclists As One Dies In Makurdi Violence

The Benue State Government has imposed a 6 pm to 6 am curfew on commercial motorcyclists after violence erupted in the state capital, Makurdi, on Saturday.

Governor Samuel Ortom who announced the decision after a security council meeting told journalists that the violence between indigenes and some non-indigenes, followed the killing of one person on Friday.

In the course of burying the dead, some aggrieved youths, however, went on a rampage destroying property and creating panic.

The violence prompted the emergency meeting of security council meeting and the decision to restrict the operation of commercial motorcycle operators.

Ahead of the meeting, the governor issued a statement through his Special Adviser on Media and ICT, Mr Tahav Agerzua, appealing to residents of the state to remain calm and report any breach of peace to security agencies.

This comes two days after the state government held a mass burial for 73 indigenes of the state who were murdered by suspected herdsmen.

The governor, while appealing for calm, told residents that the state has suffered too much loss in terms of human life and property and could not afford another round of crisis.

He condemned the protest and violence in Makurdi and directed the police to arrest those who cause trouble whoever they are, investigate the causes of the protests, and prosecute those responsible for breach of the peace.

Also, the governor assured the people that efforts would be intensified with the collaboration of the relevant security agencies to restore peace and order to all parts of the state.

Borno Govt Reviews Existing Curfew Regulations In The State 

Suicide Bombers Kill One, Injure Four In Borno

The Borno State Government has reviewed the existing curfew rules in the state.

The review according to the state government is a sequel to an advice by the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole.

The Commissioner for Home Affairs, Information and Culture Dr Mohammed Bulama said on Tuesday that the review was done in the interest of public safety and to ensure that the emerging peace in the State is further consolidated.

READ ALSO: Shekau Releases New Video, Claims Festive Period Attacks

“The curfew as from Tuesday, January 2nd to Friday, January 6, 2018, will commence from 8:00 p.m. till 6:00 a.m.

“While deeply regretting any inconvenience this adjustment of curfew timing may cause, the Borno State Government craves the understanding and full cooperation of the general public,” the statement read.

Before the recent review, the official curfew time was 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. since 2016 following the return of relative peace in the capital city.

However soft targets in the city have continued to fall victim of carriers of person-borne Improvised Explosive Device (IEDs).

Kogi Govt Imposes Emergency Curfew In Five LGAs

The Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, has imposed an emergency 24 hours curfew on five Local Government Area in the state.

The five Local Government Areas are Adavi, Ajaokuta, Okene, Okehi, and Ogori Mangogo are all in the central senatorial district of the state.

Though reasons for the urgent declaration were not given, but some of the reasons may not be too far from the recent insecurity that has been on the increase mostly in Okene and its environs, which have led to the burning of a police station, killing of security men and the most recently the assassination of a labour leader Abdulmumini Yakub.

The declaration was made earlier this morning after the State Executive Council meeting which ended late last night.

In a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Petra Onyegbule, “This is a notice of a 24 hours curfew imposed on residents of the five Local Government Areas of the central senatorial district beginning from midnight (the next one hour).

“This curfew will last for 24 hours and it is absolute. No movement whatsoever shall be allowed.

“All residents of Adavi, Ajaokuta, Okehi, Okene, Ogori/Mangogo Local Government Areas advised to comply with this directive as anyone who runs foul would have themselves to blame.

“The Government regrets every inconvenience this may cause and assures citizens and residents this decision has been taken in the best interest of the state”.

Plateau Govt Further Relaxes Curfew In Jos

The Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong has reviewed the curfew period in the state from 12 midnight to 6 am.

The governor made the pronouncement at the ongoing National Council on Power in Jos, Plateau State.

Gov. Lalong had earlier approved the relaxation of the curfew in Jos, the state capital from 10 pm to 6 am.

A statement from the Director of Press and Public Affairs to the governor, Samuel Nanle, says, the decision followed the consideration of the improvement in the state of security, since the unfortunate incidence of Thursday last week, which necessitated the imposition of a dusk to dawn curfew.

“The Executive Governor wishes to appreciate the swift response of security personnel and the widespread community consultative meetings held by various community and religious leaders, which have come out with renewed commitments and resolves of all and sundry to be law-abiding and peaceful,” the statement said.

Governor Lalong assured people of the state that security agencies would continue to patrol flashpoints within the greater Jos-Bukuru Metropolis.

He said they would also ensure that all security measures necessary to guarantee peace, security and compliance with the new curfew order are done, to avert any likely bridge of law and order.

The governor further asked the people to go about their lawful business with the assurance that their safety is guaranteed.

He also urged them to ensure cooperate with all security personnel and to report all acts by persons that are likely to constitute a bridge to the hard-earned peace of the state.

 

 

Plateau Govt Relaxes Curfew In Jos

Plateau Govt Relaxes Curfew In Jos
File photo: Simon Lalong

Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong, has approved the relaxation of the curfew in Jos, the state capital.

A statement from the Director of Press and Public Affairs to the governor, Samuel Nanle, said the relaxation takes effect between 10 pm to 6 am daily from today (Sunday) until further notice.

The decision followed the consideration of the improvement in the state of security, since the unfortunate incidence of Thursday last week, which necessitated the imposition of a dusk to dawn curfew.

“The Executive Governor wishes to appreciate the swift response of security personnel and the widespread community consultative meetings held by various community and religious leaders, which have come out with renewed commitments and resolves of all and sundry to be law-abiding and peaceful,” the statement said.

Governor Lalong assured people of the state that security agencies would continue to patrol flashpoints within the greater Jos-Bukuru Metropolis.

He said they would also ensure that all security measures necessary to guarantee peace, security and compliance with the new curfew order are done, to avert any likely bridge of law and order.

The governor further asked the people to go about their lawful business with the assurance that their safety is guaranteed.

He also urged them to ensure cooperate with all security personnel and to report all acts by persons that are likely to constitute a bridge to the hard-earned peace of the state.

United States Calls For End To Violence In Nigeria

 

The United States Diplomatic Mission has called for an end to violence amid growing tension in the country.

United States Mission to Nigeria said in a tweet on Friday that it is joining well-meaning Nigerians to sue for peace, calling for an end to violence in the country.

 

The #OutOfManyOne is a Strength in Unity Video Contest sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, United States Embassy Abuja Nigeria.

The call by the U.S. Mission comes the same day South East governors held an emergency meeting in Enugu to address issues of security in the zone, especially the recent clash between members of IPOB and the military in Abia state.

The military has earlier started an operation code-named Operation Python Dance in the South East with the aim of ridding the region of criminals and other activities threatening the security of the area.

This has lead to an altercation among many with fear of communal clashes. State Governors including Simon Lalong of Plateau, Aminu Bello Masari of Katsina, among others have assured residents of peace in order to douse the tension.

Also, the Defence Headquarters on Friday declared the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) a militant terrorist organisation with the Director, Defence Information, Major-General John Enenche calling on parents to dissuade their wards from joining the group.

 

Plateau Govt Places Jos Under Curfew

Plateau Govt Places Jos Under Curfew
Curfew paralyses commercial activities in Jos, as commuters get stranded

The Plateau State Government has placed the state capital, Jos under an indefinite dusk-to-dawn curfew due to tension between members of the Hausa and Igbo communities in the city.

Governor Simon Lalong is worried about the tension and fears of a clash between both groups, a statement by the Director of Press and Public Affairs, Mr Emmanuel Nanle Samuel, said.

Tension built up in the city after rumours made the rounds that members of the Hausa community were set to the attack Igbos in retaliation to reported attacks on a Hausa community in Rivers.

As a result, there was confusion around the city centre with traders hurriedly closing their shops and residents rushing back home.

The government attributed the “the sudden buildup of tension” in Jos to “the conduct of some disgruntled elements, who have decided to throw the metropolis into confusion on account of their negative reaction to the agitations of Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) in the South East”.

“Consequently, the governor has directed an immediate imposition of curfew from dusk to dawn (6pm – 6am) within the Greater Jos-Bukuru Metropolis, until further notice,” the statement read in part.

“The deployment of security personnel to all flash points within the metropolis has also been directed to ensure compliance with the curfew order and to avert any further breach of law and order.”

The governor assured all citizens of their safety and asked them to go about their activities without fear.

He appealed to all religious and community leaders, neighbourhood vigilantes as well as all law abiding citizens to ensure nobody is allowed to take advantage of this unfortunate situation to engage in criminality.

Governor Ikpeazu Declares Three-Day Curfew In Aba

Abia Govt. Promises Prudent Utilization Of Paris Club Refund
Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State Government has declared a curfew in Aba amid growing security concerns in the state.

The curfew is in reaction to reported clashes between some groups in the state, especially Sunday’s altercation between members of the Indigenous People of Biafra and troops of the Nigerian Army, the governor said in a statement.

Under the curfew, residents of Aba are to remain indoors from 6 pm to 6 am starting from today (September 12) until Thursday. September 14, 2017.

There has been an upsurge in the activities of IPOB in the state since the release of the group’s leader, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, on bail.

The Nigerian Army has also increased its activities in the South East with the launch of Operation Python Dance II on Friday.

In a statement declaring the curfew, Governor Ikpeazu said the government had monitored the “frenzy of activities of members of IPOB within Afara – Umuahia, the ancestral home of the leader of IPOB for some months now”, and that it is equally aware of the army’s operation in the state and South-East region.

Concerning Sunday’s clash, he said, “The recent confrontation between the Nigerian Army and members of IPOB on Sunday, 10th September 2017, could presumably be attributed to the commencement of the said Operation Python Dance II.”

Also, the governor called for caution by all parties and respect for the country’s laws.

“The Abia State Government unequivocally states that Abia is a component State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and subscribes to the supremacy of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all other extant laws,” he said.

“While the Government of Abia State recognises the right of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies, to perform their statutory duty of protection of lives and property of Nigerian citizens, such duties must be carried out within acclaimed Nigerian and international standards of engagement with the civil populace, with due respect to the human rights of citizens and sanctity of human lives.”

Southern Kaduna Conflict: El-Rufai Lifts Curfew In Two LGAs

Southern Kaduna Attacks: El-Rufai Orders Arrest Of Suspected MastermindsThe Kaduna State government has lifted the curfew imposed on two Local Government areas in the Southern part of the State.

The two Local Government areas are Jema’a and Kaura.

The curfew in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area was lifted earlier.

This is coming barely two weeks after the Nigerian Army launched the operation ‘Harbin Kunama to flush out bandits and criminal elements in Southern Kaduna.

A statement by Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s spokesman, Samuel Aruwan, said the curfew imposed on the two LGAs in December 2016 and in early this year following renewed crisis, was lifted based on the recommendation of the Kaduna State Security Council.

The statement read in part, “Today’s meeting received and reviewed reports from the security agencies which pointed to improvements in the security situation. Therefore, the council upheld the security recommendation that the curfew be removed with immediate effect.

“The State Security Council expressed the hope that all communities in the area will embrace the opportunities offered by the improved security situation to make sustained moves for peace and harmony.”

The security council meeting, which was chaired by El-Rufai, had in attendance the Commander 1 Division Garrison, Nigerian Army, Brig-Gen Ismaila Isa; Representative of the Commandant, Nigerian Navy School of Armament, Capt SM Ochidi; and the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Agyole Abeh, and heads of other security agencies in the state.

Burden Of Feeding Over 500,000 IDPs Getting Unbearable – Borno Govt.

BornoThe Borno State Government says that more than $20million would be needed to resettle those displaced by the Boko Haram violence in their homelands.

The Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, told a delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross, led by its President, Mr. Peter Maurer, in Maiduguri, that the state government needs the assistance of the federal government and international donor agencies to rehabilitate the internally displaced persons.

The Governor lamented that since the displacement of many residents from their communities by the Boko Haram militants, the state government had shouldered the responsibility of feeding the IDPs through the State Emergency Management Agency.

He admitted, however, that military troops had liberated most of the communities under the control of Boko Haram in the state.

He added that the government and the IDPs found it difficult to go back to their homes and go about their normal lives due to security reports that most of the roads and streets, leading to the affected communities and their farmlands, were not safe as Improvised Explosive Devices and land mines were planted by the fleeing terrorists.

The President of the ICRC, Mr Maurer said that they came to the state to personally see the IDPs and hear from them, particularly of their conditions.

He said this might inform the action of the organisation to considerably increase its humanitarian gestures as a result of the renewed attacks and killings by the sect.

Borno Government Relaxes Curfew From 12Noon To 5PM

CurfewThe government in Borno State has relaxed the curfew in the state from 12noon to 5pm.

Our correspondent in Maiduguri reports that the 12noon to 5pm curfew may be to pave way for the jumaat prayers.

There was an attack on Kayamla village on Wednesday. The attackers launched the offensive through an area called “Cashew Plantation” behind Giwa Barracks, the headquarters of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army.

The attack by the insurgents and subsequent bombardment by the military had resulted to an earlier 24 hour curfew declaration.

Meanwhile as the curfew enters its day two, villagers of Bale-Galtimari and Bale-Shuwari have reported the killing of 28 locals during an attack in their areas on Wednesday evening.

They said insurgents attacked their villages, burnt houses and rustled large number of cows.

According to them it was after the invasion of these villages that the insurgents moved towards the cashew farm near Kayamla where they were engaged by military forces.

Only recently, the military announced that it had raided Sambisa Forest, believed to be the last stronghold of the terrorists, and rescued numerous women and children as well.

The Boko Haram militants have suffered losses in recent times, following a fresh onslaught by the Nigerian military, leading to the recapture of territories formerly controlled by the insurgents and the rescue of over a thousand people held in captivity in various locations in the northeast.