Alleged Fraud: Ex-JAMB Registrar Ojerinde Arraigned, Remanded In Custody

File photo of Former JAMB registar, Dibu Ojerinde.

 

Former Registrar of Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Dibu Ojerinde was on Tuesday arraigned before a Federal High Court in Abuja and remanded at Suleja correctional facility.

Ojerinde is being prosecuted for corruption by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

He was arraigned on an 18-count of alleged involvement in N5.2billion fraud.

READ ALSO: Igboho: No Law Allows Arrest At Dead Of Night – Falana

The trial judge, Justice Obiora Egwuatu during the hearing turned down the oral application for bail by defence counsel, P.O Olorunishola, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

ICPC’s prosecuting lawyer, Ebenezer Shogunle also opposed the defence lawyer’s submission.

Justice Egwuatu, then ordered that the JAMB boss be remanded at a correctional facility, pending the hearing of his bail application on Thursday, July 8.

 

 

Arrest Over ‘Multiple Frauds’

Earlier in March, ICPC announced that the Commission had arrested Ojerinde (at the time) for allegedly misappropriating N900 million.

He is alleged to have committed multiple frauds while heading JAMB and the National Examination Council (NECO).

Ojerinde was also alleged to have awarded contracts for the supply of pencil and eraser at the cost of N450 million each, to Double 07 Concept Limited and Pristine Global Concept Limited, respectively, between 2013 and 2014 while heading JAMB.

In a statement posted on the commission’s website, Ojerinde was arrested and being held on a remand warrant.

Ex-JAMB Registrar Professor Ojerinde Arrested Over Alleged N900m Fraud

Professor Dibu Ojerinde

 

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) says it has arrested a former Registrar and Chief Executive Officer of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Professor Dibu Ojerinde, for allegedly misappropriating N900 million.

According to a statement signed on Wednesday by ICPC Spokesperson, Azuka Ogugua, the former JAMB Boss was arrested on March 15, 2021, in Abuja.

He is alleged to have committed multiple frauds while heading JAMB and the National Examination Council (NECO).

“He has been detained by the Commission for questioning over allegations of multiple identities, abuse of office, money laundering, tax evasion, and making false statements to public officials.

READ ALSO: Bandits In Nigeria Have International Sponsors – NSCDC Boss

“The former JAMB boss is also being questioned by the Commission for allegedly awarding fraudulent contracts to shell companies which cannot be traced, the statement read in part.

Ojerinde was also alleged to have awarded contracts for the supply of pencil and eraser at the cost of N450 million each, to Double 07 Concept Limited and Pristine Global Concept Limited, respectively, between 2013 and 2014 while heading JAMB.

“There is no evidence to show that the items which are examination materials were supplied as the contractors cannot be found.

“Similar contracts were allegedly awarded to Solid Figures Limited, Holywalk Limited, and other companies for various sums without any trace of executions,” Ogugua said in the statement.

Ojerinde is currently being held on a remand warrant and will soon be charged to court upon the conclusion of the investigation.

ICPC Decries Increasing Cases Of Corruption In Tertiary Institutions

ICPCThe Anti-corruption Academy of Nigeria, an arm of the Independent and Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC), has decried the increasing cases of corruption in tertiary institutions.

Addressing participants at a national workshop on ‘Academic Integrity for Nigerian Polytechnics and Allied Institutions’, the Provost of the academy, Sola Akinrinade, said that corruption in any form was unacceptable and that culprits would be made to face the law.

Professor Akinrinade said that findings from a study conducted by the commission and the National Universities Commission (NUC), revealed major areas where corruption had manifested itself in the operation of tertiary institutions.

With a pledge to collaborate with the Anti-corruption Academy, the Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education, Mas’udu Kazaure, criticised the running of unapproved programmes by some institutions.

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Dibu Ojerinde, however, blamed heads of tertiary institutions for the corruption in the system.

The workshop, which had in attendance Rectors of polytechnics, monotechnics and specialised institutions, was aimed at entrenching academic integrity in admissions, examinations, appointments, promotion and staff disciplinary matters in the nation’s tertiary institutions.

JAMB Admission Policy: We Are Not Forcing Candidates – Registrar

JAMBThe Registrar of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Professor Dibu Ojerinde, has been explaining the rationale behind the examination body’s new admission policy which has generated protests from candidates and parents.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Professor Ojerinde said that the new policy was to save the time and energy of the students and reduce the number of students who fail to get admission into tertiary institutions yearly.

He said that all schools, including the University of Lagos (UNILAG) had their standards depending on the number of candidates applying into their institutions, and that although JAMB had set its procedures by setting the cut-off mark at 180, “it does not mean all 180 scorers should be called for the Post-UTME” also called post-JAMB examinations in the schools.

He cited several instances when universities had gone ahead to admit the number of students based on their standards.

“In the University of Lagos, even in 2013, for Medicine, 6,719 (candidates) scored 200 and above and only 129 candidates were admitted.

“The same thing at the University of Ilorin, 10,526 scored above 180 to study Accountancy. The University of Ilorin admitted only 159. What of the remaining candidates over 10,000?

“All these things have been put into consideration over a period of time,” he explained.

The President of the Association of Tutorial School Operators, Oludotun Sodunke, had in an earlier interview accused JAMB of not carrying the stakeholders along in their decision making and this, Professor Ojerinde debunked.

“We consulted those who matter and those who know the problems,” he said, adding that Mr Sodunke should have visited JAMB to be shown the data and the degree of wastages going on in order to appreciate the board’s efforts.

JAMB had announced that it would redistribute candidates who score above 180 but who score less than the cut-off marks of their first choice university.

Candidates have complained that universities do not conduct their post-JAMB examinations at the same time and wondered why JAMB would not allow them to sit for the examination in their schools of choice first rather than deprive them of the opportunity and then send them to write post-UTME in another school they did not apply to.

Professor Ojerinde explained that rather than maintaining the situation whereby candidates, having failed to reach the cut-off, would have to write as many Post-JAMB examinations as possible in many universities in search of admission, JAMB has decided to redistribute them to schools within the same region as their schools of choice.

Protesting candidates have also said that the post-UTME scores were usually added to the original JAMB score for final selection and those who have scored below the institution’s cut-off mark could still make it but JAMB’s decision was denying them this second opportunity.

Professor Ojerinde insisted that he had statistics to prove that the claims were not true.

“I have candidates who scored 240 and above – about 101 of them, but they could not be taken because there are no spaces in those institutions.

“We are not imposing by telling them ‘you cannot get a place in UNILAG even if you scored 270, why don’t you consider another university nearby?’ If they don’t want to go, they don’t have to go,” he said.

He admitted that JAMB was indeed precluding the candidates from writing the post-UTME. “We will because we don’t want to waste the time of the children, their energy and their scores.

He argued that UNILAG had a carrying capacity of 9,000 and about 43,000 candidates scored above the cut-off mark with the remaining candidates unable to get a place while there are other institutions that have not gotten enough candidates.

“We are not saying pay for the redistribution,” he added.

JAMB May Not Conduct Examination In Troubled Northern States – Registrar

The Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) may not hold in troubled Northern states on Saturday, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board said on Wednesday.

Addressing Journalists in Abuja, the Registrar/Chief Exec utive of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Dibu Ojerinde, said the board “may not hesitate to stop the examination” if there is any security problem”.

He said, “Yesterday it was a big discussion among some agents as well as JAMB. We believe that things will be alright. Faith, you see, we have the belief that we will surmount the problem.

“If however, there is any problem, we may not hesitate to stop the examination in those areas to the extent that we will now give the children a chance of doing the examination on CBT only.

“If you miss PPT in a challenging area that you cannot do the examination; then you will have to do the next one and that will have to be as from 18th of May.

“With God, we shall not experience any problem. We have put everything humanly possible in place and we have put this before almighty God and we believe He is not going to sleep on that day. But if there is a need for postponement in those places, we shall not hesitate”, he added.

Mr Ojerinde revealed that the Board had concluded arrangements for its first Computer Based Test in 70 centres across the nation from May 18 to June 1.

This is an alternative to the Dual Based Test and Paper Pencil Test scheduled for this Saturday.

He, however, added that the CBT candidates still have the option to take Dual Based Test or Paper Pencil Test on Saturday.

The Board advised CBT candidates to go online to reprint their e-slip form as “inevitable amendments had been made on the time-table for the CBT examination”.

Of the 1,735,720 registered for this year’s examination, 1,629,102 candidates applied for PPT; 15,008 for DBT and 91,610 for CBT. The total figure represents 13.35 percent increase from last year.

No fewer than 145 visually impaired candidates and 196 inmates from Kaduna and Lagos prisons also registered for the examination.

The examination will hold simultaneously in 3,168 centres in 378 towns in Nigeria and six foreign centres of Accra (Ghana), Buea in Cameroon, Cotonou in Republic of Benin, London, Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and Johannesburg in South Africa.

Mr Ojerinde disclosed that candidates have the opportunity to change their choices of institutions and courses once only within two weeks after releasing the results.

He also warned that the officials caught in examination malpractices will be prosecuted.

“I want to sound a note of warning once more that those trying to compromise our well organised arrangement shall be made to face the full wrath of the law.

“The Board is hereby appealing to all candidates to strictly adhere to all laid -down rules by conducting themselves properly during the examination.”

Over 1.5 million candidates to write Saturday’s JAMB examination – Registrar

Candidates writing the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations organised by JAMB The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB) said that it will go ahead with the conduct of the 2012 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations in all states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory despite the insecurity in some parts of the country.

At a media briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, the Registrar of the board, Dibu Ojerinde debunked rumours that the examinations would not be conducted in some northern states owing to incessant bombings in the area.

He also announced the deployment of over ten thousand security personnel for this weekend’s nationwide examination exercise.

Mr Ojerinde also said that a total of 1, 503, 931 candidates have registered to take part in the examination.

According to the Registrar, this is the highest number of registered candidates the board has recorded since inception.

He said this year’s figure was a marginal increase of 10,338 candidates over the 2011 figure, as against an increase of 117,961 candidates recorded in 2011 over the 2010 figure.

He said that the examination would hold simultaneously in 375 towns in the country and in Ghana, Cameroun, Republic of Benin, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and South Africa.

“It is worthy to note that there is a remarkable increase in the number of registered candidates in all our foreign centres
.
“No doubt this underscores the acceptability of our tertiary educational system around the world. Many Nigerians are wishing to come back home for tertiary education,” Mr Ojerinde said.

The JAMB boss said that examination body have engaged the services of independent examination watch groups to monitor this weekend examination. He warned supervisors and invigilators to adhere strictly to instructions during the exercise.

Mr Ojerinde said that he is confident that Saturday’s examination would be hitch free across all states in Nigeria.