Bichi Residents Protest Over Court’s Nullification Of New Kano Emirates

 

Hundreds of Bichi residents in Kano State took to the streets on Thursday to protest over a court ruling that nullified the new emirates.

Carrying placards, the protesters also met with Emir Aminu Ado Bayero who was returning from Daura and expressed their displeasure over the development.

They told the emir that despite the court ruling, they are still with him and regard him as their first-class emir.

Read Also: Court Nullifies Creation Of Four Additional Kano Emirates

The Kano State High Court presided over by Justice Usman Na’abba, had earlier ruled that the creation of the emirates was not done in accordance with due process.

Meanwhile, the Kano State Government in a statement said it will study the ruling but will continue to recognize the emirs as first class.

Kano Emirates: Court Dismisses Kingmakers Suit, Recognises New Emirs

 

A Kano High Court has dismissed an application by four Kano Emirate Kingmakers against the creation of new Emirates and installation of new emirs by the state government.

At the court sitting on Friday, the presiding judge, Justice Ahmed Tijjani Badamosi rejected the application argued by the plaintiffs Counsel, Suraj Saida, SAN.

Justice Badamosi ruled the new Emirs can continue going about their lawful activities as Emir of their Emirates.

The court had on May 10 made an order of interim injunction directed all parties in this suit to maintain status quo pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice.

The Kano State government had created four new emirates and upgraded four traditional rulers to the first-class status, making them emirs after Governor Abdullahi Ganduje assented a bill passed by the state Assembly, okaying the new Emirates, into law.

Four kingmakers in Kano Emirate, however, sued the governor, the Speaker of the Kano House of Assembly, the Kano State House of Assembly and the Attorney General of Kano.

The new emirs Tafida Abubakar-Ila, Ibrahim Abdulkadir, Ibrahim Abubakar ll, and Aminu Ado-Bayero were joined as defendants in the suit.

The plaintiffs in the suit are Madakin Kano, District head of Dawakintofa, Yusuf Nabahani; Makaman Kano, District head of Wudil, Abdullahi Sarki-Ibrahim; Sarkin Dawaki Mai Tuta, District head of Gabasawa, Bello Abubakar and Sarkin Ban Kano, District head of Dambatta, Mukhtar Adnan.

Ganduje Presents Staff Of Office To Four New Emirs

 

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano state, has presented the staff of office to the four new Emirs.

The exercise follows the recent split of the Kano Emirate into five.

The Governor proceeded to present the staff against the orders of a court, restraining him from implementing the breakup of the Emirate.

In a statement by his chief secretary, Abba Anwar, said the governor presented the instrument to Aminu Ado-Bayero, the eldest son of the late emir of Kano, as the emir of Bichi.

He also presented to Ibrahim Abubakar II, emir of Karaye; Tafida Abubakar-Ila, emir of Rano, and Ibrahim Abdulkadir, emir of Gaya.

READ ALSO: Reject ‘Fat Pensions, Luxury Cars’ For Kano Assembly, SERAP Tells Ganduje

“This Staff of Office represents dedication and commitment to serve your subjects in the areas of security, health care delivery system, education and environment among others,” said the governor while congratulating the new first class traditional rulers.

“We, as a government, are always ready to work with you hand in hand for the growth and development of our state in particular and the nation in general.

“You should place greater priority on education, health and the security of your domains. As a government, we will always respond positively to your people-oriented yearnings and aspirations.

“As leaders who are closer to your subjects, you should join hand with government and other security agencies to make sure that security is not only improved but maintained.

“Efforts towards strengthening community policing, as practised globally, should form part of your commitment. Ours is to, together, ensure that global best practices are observed.”

The Kano State House of Assembly had on May 8, passed the bill for the creation of the four additional first class Emirates.

This was after approval of the amendment of the local government and chieftaincy affairs law by the lawmakers.

In a motion presented to the House by the Majority Leader Baffa Babba, the House unanimously agreed that creation of more Emirates will assist in job creation, dispute, and community conflict resolutions among others.

Upon the passage of the bill by the Kano Assembly, Governor Ganduje assented and went on to present letters of appointment to four new first-class Emirs in the state.

The governor presented the letters on Saturday during a ceremony held at the state capital.

Those presented with the letters of appointment include Aminu Ado Bayero, the son of Late Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, as the Emir of Bichi; Ibrahim Abulkadir as the Emir of Gaya; Tafida Abubakar as the Emir Of Rano and Abubakar Ibrahim II as the Emir of Karaye.

Ganduje during the presentation said the creation of an additional four Emirates will make the Kano traditional system more efficient.

He however, denied the claims that the creation of additional Emirates in the state was done to settle personal scores with anyone.

Contrary to the allegations, Ganduje explained that the additional Emirates were created to make the traditional institution in the state more effective.

He went further to declare his respect for the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II who prior to now was the sovereign Emir of Kano.

He, however, noted that the traditional ruler was answerable to his Local Government Chairman, as enshrined in the Constitution.

Group Protests Against Creation Of Four More Emirates In Kano

 

A group called Kano First has led a protest against the creation of four more emirates in Kano State.

Members of the group gathered at Gidan Muritala, carrying placards and expressing their displeasure over the passage of the bill by the state House of Assembly.

Following the passage of the bill on Wednesday, Governor Ibrahim Ganduje also assented to it.

The bill paves way for the decentralisation of the Kano Emirate council thereby decentralising the power of Emir.

Read Also: Ganduje Signs Bill Seeking Creation Of Four New Emirates In Kano

The group, however, urged the government to focus on more pressing issues, such as deflation of revenues, healthcare, security and educational challenges.

According to them, the creation of more emirates will lead to spending of unnecessary funds.

They, therefore, called for intervention from the presidency and other stakeholders to refrain the governor from creating the four new emirates and tampering with the cultural heritage of the state.

Kano Assembly Passes Bill For Creation Of Four First-Class Emirates

Kano State House Of Assembly during plenary on Wednesday, May 8, 2019.

 

The Kano State House of Assembly has passed the bill for the creation of four additional first class Emirates.

The additional first class Emirates include Rano, Gaya, Karaya and Bichi Emirates.

This follows the approval of the amendment of the local government and chieftaincy affairs law by the lawmakers, during their sitting on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: Buhari Inaugurates Chairman, Members Of North East Development Commission

In a motion presented to the House by the Majority Leader Baffa Babba, the House unanimously agreed that creation of more Emirates will assist in job creation, dispute, and community conflict resolutions among others.

The passage of this bill paves way for the decentralisation of the Kano Emirate council thereby decentralising the power of Emir of Kano.

Although, the State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje is yet to assent the bill, it is expected that the bill will be presented to him for approval.

Emirates Jet Lands In New York With 10 Ill Passengers

File photo

 

Emirates announced Wednesday that 10 passengers were taken ill on a 14-hour flight from Dubai to New York, where the aircraft was met by US health authorities.

US media showed images of the double-decker A380 aircraft isolated on the tarmac at John F. Kennedy International Airport. US media initially reported that 100 passengers had been taken ill and that the jet had been quarantined.

“Emirates can confirm that about 10 passengers on EK203 from Dubai to New York were taken ill. On arrival, as a precaution, they were attended to by local health authorities,” the airline announced.

All other passengers would disembark shortly, it added.

Pictures posted on social media showed ambulances lined up on the tarmac next to the A380, the largest passenger airline in the world. US media reported that around 500 passengers were on board the flight.

Larry Coben, who said he was on board the aircraft, wrote on Twitter that passengers are being asked to fill out a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention form and that CDC personnel had boarded the aircraft.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey did not immediately respond to an AFP request to comment.

Arsenal Announce Record Shirt Deal With Emirates

Arsenal Complete Lacazette Signing
File photo

 

Arsenal announced the club’s biggest-ever sponsorship deal on Monday, extending their shirt partnership with Dubai-based airline Emirates by five years.

The Gunners confirmed the branding of Emirates, which began its sponsorship agreement with the north London club in 2006, would continue to feature on the shirts and training kit of all of their teams until the end of the 2023/2024 season.

“Our shirt partnership is the longest-running in the Premier League and one of the longest relationships in world sport,” said Ivan Gazidis, chief executive of the club, who have not given a figure for the deal.

“This mutual commitment is a testimony to the strength and depth of our unique relationship.”

“Emirates are again demonstrating their great belief in our approach and ambition and their significantly increased investment will help us continue to compete for trophies and bring more success to the club and our fans around the world.”

Emirates president Sir Tim Clark said: “Arsenal’s strong appeal and influence around the globe, combined with their ambitions as a club, make them an ideal partner for Emirates, with values that reflect ours as a brand.

“As a long-standing supporter of football, we are passionate about the game and are a proud partner to the team.”

Emirates also has naming rights to the stadium until 2021.

AFP

Emirates Announces $16 Bn Deal For 36 A380s

This file photo taken on September 14, 2017 shows an Airbus A380 of Emirates landing at the tarmac at Dubai’s International Airport. Emirates announces $16 bn deal to buy 36 Airbus A380s, AFP reports on January 18, 2018. GIUSEPPE CACACE / AFP

 

Emirates Airlines said Thursday it has struck a $16 billion deal to buy 36 Airbus A380 superjumbos just days after the European manufacturer said it would have to halt production without new orders.

The company said it had placed firm orders for 20 of the double-decker aircraft with options for a further 16. Deliveries are scheduled to start in 2020.

Emirates is already the world’s biggest customer for the A380 with 101 in its fleet and 41 more firm orders previously placed.

The Dubai-based airline said that with the new order it will have commitments for a total of 178 A380s worth $60 billion.

The deal was expected to be signed during the Dubai Airshow in November but was delayed without any explanation amid reports of tough negotiations.

Instead, Emirates inked a deal to buy 40 Boeing Dreamliners for more than $15 billion.

Airbus’s decision in 2007 to pursue the A380, capable of packing in 853 seats, was diametrically opposed to Boeing’s bet on the Dreamliner, marketed as a more efficient plane that could be used for both medium and long-distance flights.

But the economics of the A380 have proved daunting, with airlines having to fly every flight at full capacity in order to make a profit.

Airbus warned on Monday that it might have to end production of the A380, having booked no new orders for the plane in two years.

It said it regarded Emirates as the only airline with the capacity to place an order of the size required to keep production going.

“We’ve made no secret of the fact that the A380 has been a success for Emirates,” the airline’s chairman and CEO Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum said.

“Our customers love it, and we’ve been able to deploy it on different missions across our network, giving us flexibility in terms of range and passenger mix.”

Emirates operates a fleet of 269 wide-bodied aircraft and flies to 157 destinations.

Wenger Desperate For Win In Race For Champions League Places

Wenger Arsene Wenger knows Arsenal cannot afford another slip-up when they face Newcastle at the Emirates Stadium aiming to end a damaging run of three Premier League games without a win.

Wenger’s team played a scoreless draw at West Ham United on Wednesday and is in seventh place going into Saturday’s meeting with Rafael Benitez’s team.

Only one point separates the Gunners from Tottenham Hotspur in fourth, but in what is shaping up to be a tight battle for the Champions League places, Arsenal can ill-afford to drop more points against a struggling team.

The West Ham draw was preceded by a stalemate at Southampton — both games Wenger would have expected to win — reinforcing the view that Arsenal have not yet recovered from the blow of losing to Manchester United at home.

Wenger shuffled his pack for the short trip to West Ham, with both Jack Wilshere and Olivier Giroud making their first Premier League starts of the season.

Wilshere declared himself satisfied with his performance but admitted that he has yet to open talks with the club about an extension to his contract, which runs out at the end of the season.

“There’s not really a date in the diary for talks,” the England midfielder told London’s Evening Standard newspaper.

“At the moment, I’ve just played my first game in the Premier League. I’m concentrating on staying fit and staying in (the) team. That will look after itself and when it’s the right time, I’m sure the boss will pull me (in) so we can have a chat.”

“The games come thick and fast and that’s a good thing because we dropped points tonight (Wednesday) but have the chance to get three points on Saturday,” he added. “We need to recover now and be ready for that.”

– Newcastle struggles –

Newcastle travel to the North London with problems mounting for manager Rafa Benitez.

Even though a £300 million ($403 million) takeover of the club by Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners is set to go through early in the New Year, a battle for Premier League survival threatens to overshadow the arrival of new owners to succeed the unpopular figure of Mike Ashley, the Sport Direct billionaire who is set to relinquish control after a decade in charge at St James’s Park.

The Tynesiders are just a point above the relegation zone after losing seven of their past eight games are in danger of an immediate return to the Championship.

England midfielder Jonjo Shelvey starts a two-match suspension after being sent off in the 1-0 home defeat to Everton, while goalkeeper Karl Darlow is set to drop to the bench after making costly errors in the past two matches.

“I don’t think you can say we’re in a relegation battle at this stage,” said captain Jamaal Lascelles. “Lots of people would probably have been happy with the points tally we are on if they were asked at the start of the season, so I’m not going to say we’re in a relegation battle.

“There have been a few home truths said in the dressing room, because we don’t want to leave it too late for things like that to be said. The reality is we’re not in a great position and sometimes things need to be said that players don’t want to hear. Hopefully, we’ll get a reaction against Arsenal.”

AFP

Wenger Admits Top Four Finish Not Easy

Arsenal Wenger Admits Top Four Finish Not EasyArsenal Manager, Arsene Wenger, has admitted that it will be difficult to finish top four in the English Premier League this season.

Following a two-all draw with Manchester City at the Emirates over the weekend, Wenger said the task is “not as easy as it looks”.

The Frenchman has led the Gunners to a top-four spot and the UEFA Champions League qualification for the past 20 seasons.

However, Arsenal are currently in sixth place, seven points off the Premier League’s leading quartet with 10 games left.

UK, U.S. Ban Electronic Devices On Flights

UK, U.S. Ban Electronic Devices On FlightsThe United States and United Kingdom have announced a new ban on laptops on passenger flights from the Middle East and some North African countries.

The British ban, which was announced a few hours after the American ban, was similar but applied to different airlines.

According to the UK, airline passengers on 14 carriers would not be able to carry laptops in cabin luggage on inbound direct flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

In its reaction, Turkey condemned the U.S. ban as wrong, and advised it be reversed.

The nine airlines affected by the U.S. ban are Royal Jordanian, EgyptAir, Turkish Arlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Etihad Airways.

The ban takes effect on Saturday, with no end date in sight.

Wenger Says Arsenal’s Title Dream Not Over

Wenger Says Title Dream Not Over For ArsenalDespite back-to-back Premier League defeats Arsene Wenger insists his Arsenal side are still in the Premier League title race.

The Gunners are 12 points behind leaders Chelsea with 14 matches to play but Wenger insists his fourth-placed team are not yet out of the running.

“It’s never over – we cannot behave like that,” Wenger told Arsenal.com. “Even if you think it is, I don’t. We cannot even think like that.

“We look at the teams around us and we’re all in a pack that is very tight, where the fight for every position will be massive like it has always been in the Premier League, maybe even more this season than ever before.

“The way we respond to our disappointing result last Saturday is vital. If it is over for us, it’s over for everybody else. We are all together in a pack there, so first we have to focus on staying at the top, and then if we can reduce the distance between us and Chelsea after, you never know.

“They have an advantage where they aren’t playing in Europe. They have no midweek games, so of course they are in a very strong position.”

Arsenal next play a revitalised Hull City side fresh from a 2-0 victory over Liverpool, at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Wenger is not underrating The Tigers taking close look at their revival under new manager Marco Silva.

“Not really because I felt they played well since the start of the season but they had not always the results,” he said.

“The Premier League is difficult for everybody – they were a bit unlucky sometimes so they are a tough opposition for us.

“Every game is difficult, especially at the Emirates. We have to prepare well to face a Hull team with more confidence than when we played them, so we have to prepare well.

“We need to focus on what we do well and the quality of our game. As well these players have been great players [before] last Tuesday, they are still great players one week later. You are not a different player. You have to have common sense a little bit.”