FIFA May Order Replay Of South Africa VS Senegal Qualifier

fifaFIFA could order South Africa to replay their 2018 world cup qualifier against Senegal, after the referee was found guilty of manipulating the result of the game.

The world governing body has warned that it would take further action over the match played in November 2016.

This follows its decision to hand the Ghanaian referee, Joseph Lamptey a life ban.

Lamptey was criticised after giving south Africa an undeserved penalty and was consequently suspended by CAF following an appeal by Senegal.

The game ended 2-1 in favour of South Africa.

2026 World Cup: Infantino To Push For Co-Hosting

FIFA President, Gianni InfantinoThe Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) President, Gianni Infantino, says the 2026 World Cup could be split between up to four countries as he announced the organisation would encourage applications to co-host the tournament.

His remarks could open the way to a joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico, whom had already stated intentions to hold discussions over the possibility.

The only time FIFA has previously sanctioned co-hosting was in 2002 when Japan and South Korea staged a tournament that was widely heralded as a success.

Youths Should Dream Big, Start Small, Act Now – Segun Odegbami

SEGUN ODEGBAMIA Nigerian, who has indicated interest in the Presidency of  the world football governing body, FIFA, has admonished youths to dream big.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Friday, Mr Segun Odegbami said that “in 1985 some young Nigerian boys unknown to people, went to China and came back winning. Nobody knew them, nobody gave them a chance.

“If the only thing they can take away from me coming out to say I want to be the FIFA President is the fact that a Nigerian can actually become the President of FIFA, I think I am fulfilled”.

Mr Odegbami said the reason behind contesting for FIFA’s Presidency was because there was vacancy.

“As you know, election will hold on February 26, 2016 and we have seen the eligibility criteria among the contestants.

“When you look at the circumstances around football in the world today, particularly around FIFA, it calls for intervention of people who truly love the game, know about the game and have answers into the future.

“I think I belong to the category of persons that are eligible. I have experiences in this game and I think I can add value to whatever is there now,” he stressed.

About how he intends to reach out to people in the federation, Odegbami said that “we have a team that is consulting with a lot of people, agencies and putting in place a road map that we have to chat to get to February 26 and that will involve contacting friendly federations that will give me an endorsement.

“From what I have seen so far, it is truly exciting, so people should wait, watch and see,” he said.

Mr Odegbami, however, gave insight on the support he was getting from the FA.

“The process started with me making contact with the leadership of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF), to tell them my interest and to get a feel of what the President felt and he gave the green light.

“However, if you look at the rules, we will find out that what is needed is not an approval by your football federation, you have to come through them because they provide the eligibility and integrity score mark for you because you need to have been active in football for two years out of five years, so they will tell FIFA that you are qualified in that regard.

“You need the letter to come from them because FIFA doesn’t deal with individuals or government but deals with federations.

“So I did what was necessary by speaking with the leadership and I have written an official letter to them.

“Except if there is something somewhere, I don’t see any reason why they won’t approve my application,” he maintained, optimistic of a favourable decision.

Mr Odegbami, however, stressed that it would be fantastic when there are two or three people vying for the post.

“If two people from one country could be interested in becoming the FIFA President, it just shows the quality of persons you have in that country,” he said.

Mr Odegbami, nonetheless, debunked a claim that he was embarrassing Nigeria.

“I thought Nigerians are celebrating that there is an ordinary Nigerian who thinks the country is good enough to be President of FIFA and people are celebrating everywhere,” he said.

Mr Odegbami admitted that he had a football administrations skills.

“For eight years, I served in a committee in Confederation of African Football (CAF), for eight years, I served as a member of the NFF, most of my life. Since I left football, I have been managing clubs; from Shooting Stars to Gateway Football Club , I am the Manager of First Bank Football Club, I own a club, I am the Chairman of the Local Government Football Council of my area and I am a member of the football family.

“I have done more things in football than most people alive today and as well, covered the entire spectrum of game, more than any Nigerian.

“It is not about the game itself. The game is what you play on the field and even at FIFA, there is nothing wrong with the game, the area that is problematic is very small which is about the leadership, integrity of the person and the integrity of their activities.

“People are focusing on the money and power in FIFA which are part of the problems.

“Meanwhile, there is a whole world out there, who are the true people in football, who should be enjoying it, who should be celebrating it and are left out completely,” he added.

FIFA Bans Chuck Blazer From Football Related Activities For Life

fifaThe World football governing body, Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), has banned former Executive Committee Member and ex-Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) General Secretary, Chuck Blazer, from all football related activity for life.

The decision was taken as Blazer was said to have worked undercover with prosecutors in the United States after pleading guilty to charges of bribery, money laundering and tax evasion.

According to FIFA, the decision was taken on the basis of investigations carried out by the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee in response to the final report of the CONCACAF Integrity Committee and the latest facts presented by the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York.

”Mr Blazer committed many and various acts of misconduct continuously and repeatedly during his time as an official in different high-ranking and influential positions at FIFA and CONCACAF.

”In his positions as a football official, he was a key player in schemes involving the offer, acceptance, payment and receipt of undisclosed and illegal payments, bribes and kickbacks as well as other money-making schemes.

”He was found guilty of violations of art. 13 (General rules of conduct), art. 15 (Loyalty), art. 16 (Confidentiality), art. 18 (Duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting), art. 19 (Conflicts of interest), art. 20 (Offering and accepting gifts and other benefits) and art. 21 (Bribery and corruption) of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

Mr Blazer had told a federal judge that he “agreed to accept bribes” to bring the World Cup to South Africa in 2010 and also helped to “facilitate” a bribe in connection with selecting France to host the tournament in 1998.

However, South Africa has denied the bribed allegations that it gave bribe to secure the hosting of the World Cup in 2010.

Super Eagles Return Home After World Cup Outing

Super-Eagles-in-FaroThe Nigeria national football team, the Super Eagles, have returned to the country following their second round elimination by France in the 24th FIFA World Cup. 

The Super Eagle, who drew two and lost one of their warm-up games before the tournament started, touched down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja in the early hours of Friday.

The Eagles were lead by the head coach, Stephen Keshi, on arrival.

In an interview with sports writers at the airport, Stephen Keshi said the team would have loved to progress beyond the second round of the game but expressed gratitude to God for the outing in Brazil.

There have been media reports of the coach’s resignation immediately after the World Cup but Stephen Keshi said he had not resigned.