Lekki Building Collapse: Ambode Sacks Building Agency GM

Building collapseLagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, on Monday wielded the big stick as he sacked the General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency, Mr Adeigbe Olusola, over the Lekki Gardens building collapse.

The Governor’s decision followed an investigation indicting the Genetral Manager for negligence in the Lekki Gardens building collapse.

Three other senior officials were also sanctioned.

The Governor warned other public officials, private building owners, contractors to always adhere to building plans and approval on their structural drawings during construction.

The Managing Director of Lekki Gardens, Mr Richard Nyong, has been arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Lagos following the building collapse.

Hearing into the case began on Friday, March 11, with Mr Nyong and one of the contractors that supervised the collapsed structure, Mr Taiwo Odofin, brought to the court handcuffed.

The Ebutte-metta Magistrate Court, presided over by Chief Magistrate Folashade Botoku, ordered the remand of Mr Nyong, the owner of the collapsed building and Mr Odofin.

Over 30 people died when the five-storey building which was under construction collapsed at Lekki area of Lagos.

Death Toll In Lekki Five-Storey Building Collapse Now 31

Lekki-Collapsed-buildingThirty-one persons have now been confirmed dead in the building collapse which occurred in the Lekki area of Lagos State on Tuesday, even as rescue operations are continuing at the site of the incident.

The building, which was under construction, collapsed at Chisco Bus Stop in Lekki Phase One area of Lagos State in south western Nigeria.

Michael-Akindele
Mr Michael Akindele is confident that investigations will reveal cause of the collapse

The General Manager of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Mr Michael Akindele, told Channels Television that a total of 13 people had been rescued from the scene.

“We have been able to rescue 13 people alive till date and as I speak with you, we have recovered 31 dead bodies of which one is an infant, a male, and a woman while others are men.

“Search and rescue is still ongoing,” he said.

Mr Akindele also said that the cause of the building collapse was yet to be ascertained.

“While it came down is not the issue now. The major challenge is for us to rescue as many people as possible at this site while relevant agencies will look at the issues during investigation.

“Definitely the building have been distressed and it is on the basis that it is distressed that it collapsed,” he told reporters at the scene of the incident.

Spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency, (NEMA), South-west zone, Ibrahim Farinloye, earlier confirmed the figures on Tuesday.

The NEMA official told Channels Television that the incident happened around 4:10am local time.

“We received an alert around 4:20am about the building collapse and immediately we mobilised resources and personnel to move in there.

“As at now, we have recovered four persons dead, six rescued alive,” he said earlier in the day.

Lekki-Building-Collapse
One of the rescued persons believed to be working at the construction site

Mr Farinloye said that the persons affected may be workers at the construction site.

Taking part in the rescue operation are Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Police and personnel of the Civil Defence.

About three excavators are also being used by NEMA in the rescue effort.

Tanker Explodes At Idimu, Lagos

Tanker-fireThere’s been another fuel tanker explosion in the Idimu area of Lagos State.

Reports say a tanker fully loaded with automotive gas oil otherwise known as diesel exploded around Idimu at about 12:30am today (Saturday).

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) spokesman, Ibrahim Farinloye has confirmed that officials of the agency and the Federal and State Fire Services have converged in the area to manage the situation.

The accident came four days after a similar one occurred in Iyana Ipaja.

3 Dead, 5 Rescued in Benin Church Building Collapse

Church BuildingIt was a tragic day  as three people have been confirmed dead after a church building collapsed in Benin City on Friday.

The one-storey building, belonging to Christ Chosen Church Of God, collapsed at about 2pm in the Erhunse area of the city.

About 9 people were said to be demolishing the building, following the relocation of the church to a new structure, when it caved in, trapping the workers inside.

Speaking at the scene of the incident, the Commissioner of Police, Edo State Command, said that he got an anonymous call which prompted his quick intervention as an irate crowd threatened to set ablaze what was left of the property.

Synagogue Building: Death Toll Rises To 78 As NEMA Says Number Of South Africans Unknown

Ibrahim_FarinloyeThe National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says it cannot confirm the figures presented by South Africa’s President, Jacob Zuma, that 67 of his nationals died in the collapsed six-story guest house belonging to the Synagogue Church of All Nations.

The agency’s spokesman, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, told reporter on Wednesday that the church was yet to present a list of foreigners occupying the building before its collapse to the agency.

Mr Farinloye said that escalation exercise at the site of the Synagogue building may be concluded by midnight of Wednesday.

In the meantime, Death toll from the incident has risen to 78.

He pointed out that Zuma’s claim, would be between South Africa and the Church Management.

“Whatever the understand between them is, it is not part of our job, but we will do what is supposed to be done when we finish the emergency phase.

“The emergency phase is much more important than identification of victims. Their Ambassador was here on Monday and he was working with the church management without interaction with NEMA,” Mr Farinloye said.

He further explained that other embassies had called the NEMA to get information about their nationals but NEMA had referred them to the church management, as the agency was not given the list of persons in the building.

“We have not been given any list of people trapped by the Church management. We are working on a blind and guess work. Until we get to the last rubble, that is when we will be sure of the figure. The one we have given you is is the one we have accessed personally,” the NEMA official said.

Ikorodu Boat Mishap: Survivor Says Accident Was Caused By Overspeeding

ikorodu mishapA survivor of the Ikorodu Boat Mishap which occurred on Wednesday night, in Lagos, told Channels Television that overload and high speed caused the accident.

According to the female survivor, Abimbola Bunmi, the driver of the ill-fated Bell Marine boat was on high speed despite the turbulent waves on the waters.

Three pregnant women and a female child, who was yet unfound, were also involved in the accident which took off from the Ebutte Jetty in Lagos at 5:34PM. While narrating the incident, Bunmi hinted that the boat was damaged and that the driver had tried to “manage it” until the boat capsized.

Although representatives of the government had said that the Lagos Water Authority had responded promptly to the distress call, an eyewitness, Pedro Elakhale, a close relative to one of the occupants of the boat, told Channels Television that local fishermen and not the water authorities rescued the victims.

Despite the allegations of late rescue operations by survivors, the managing director of the Lagos state Waterways Authority, Mr Yinka Marinho insisted that the agency had responded to the distress call on time.

During an interview on Channels Television, the Lagos State Commissioner for Transport, Kayode Opeifa, had said that the accident may have been caused by underwater obstacles which led to the boat capsizing. He, however could not confirm if human error had led to the incident but disclosed that investigations were on.

8 Feared Dead, 12 Rescued In Ikorodu Boat Mishap

Aboikorodu mishaput 8 people died on Wednesday and 12 others rescued after a boat capsized between Eko Bridge and Ikorodu waterways in Lagos State, Nigeria’s South-West region.

Local divers were said to have jumped into the water and rescued some people, while the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) officials along with men of the Nigerian Navy and the Marine policemen patrolled the water in a bid to recover more bodies.

According to NEMA’s PRO, Ibrahim Farinloye, the boat took off from Ebute to Majidun in Ikorodu with 20 people on board and the incident occurred at about 6 PM. 12 people were rescued alive and eight died. He also revealed that as at that time six people were missing.

He noted that the boat is operated by Bell Marine Services and the management of Bell Marine Services had announced on Thursday that all occupants on the boat had been recused.

Mr. Farinloye further stated that two people out of the twelve rescued were receiving treatment at the Ikorodu General Hospital.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Commissioner for Transport, Kayode Opeifa, told Channels Television that the accident may have been caused by underwater obstacles which led to the boat capsizing. He could not confirm if human error had led to the incident but disclosed that investigations were on.

He also disclosed that one person was still missing.

Mr Opeifa further assured that the government was spending time on dredging the waterways and installing buoys to show drivers the correct waterways.

Despite the allegations by survivors of the boat accident of late rescue operations, the Lagos state Waterways Authority insisted it responded to the distress call on time.

The managing director of the agency, Mr Yinka Marinho said that the state government usually carried out constant safety awareness campaigns and tests for operators as well as their boats.

 

Lagos Boat Mishap: NEMA Suspends Search For Remaining Bodies

boat_mishapThe South-West Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, has said that the mission to recover the remaining bodies of victims of Tuesday’s boat accident has been suspended.

In a telephone interview with Channels Television, Mr Farinloye said the agency is uncertain as to the exact number of persons who were aboard the boat before the accident. According to him, 13 bodies have been recovered while 6 persons survived.

Contrary to a statement by Lagos State Emergency Agency (LASEMA) that 12 persons had died, Farinloye said the figure was 13 as one of the initial seven who were rescued alive died on the way to the hospital. He maintained that 11 bodies were recovered on Tuesday while one body was recovered on Wednesday morning.

He also stated that the incident had occurred at about 7:30PM on Tuesday and the agency had been alerted via a text message at 11:10PM.

“Immediately, we alerted all the stakeholders. The Navy Special Boat Service, The Nigeria Police Marine, The Nigeria Police Disaster Unit, LASEMA, National Inland Waterways Authority to go for the search,” he said.

Farinloye also mentioned that over 30 local divers were employed to conduct the underwater search but it was suspended till Wednesday evening.

He assured that all agencies were on the same page and that there were no conflicting figures concerning the number of casualties. “Nobody was there when the boat loaded but one of the rescued victims told us there were 24 people on board… some people said 21 but what we are working with is 24.”

He added that “we are having 4 or 5 people missing.”

VIDEO:NEMA Confirms Three Dead In Lagos Building Collapse

Three people have been confirmed dead after a two story building under construction collapsed at the Ishaga area of Surulere, Lagos state on Sunday.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), initially said that two people died and three others were rescued, but sadly the body of a 13 year old girl recovered from the scene has taken the death toll to three people.

NEMA spokesman in Lagos, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye told Channels Television that the three rescued alive have been rushed to the hospital, with one of them needing to be operated on.

Sunday’s collapse comes barely two weeks after a three-story building located at Olota Street, off Herbert Macaulay Way, Ebute Metta, Lagos collapsed, leaving seven people dead.

Expert Lists Factor Responsible For Building Collapse

The President, Building Collapse Prevention Guild, Kunle Awobodu on Thursday said the frequent collapse of building in the country is “an aberration that has dented the image of construction professionals in Nigeria.”

Mr Awobodu, who was a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, one of the major problems with buildings in Nigeria is that owners of structures do not conduct soil test before commencement of construction work.

The spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), South west zone, Ibrahim Farinloye had on Wednesday confirmed to Channels Television that about 36 deficient buildings in Lagos have been reported to them.

In the video below, Mr Awobodu listed some other factors responsible for collapse of building and what the government, construction professionals and individual property owners can do to prevent building collapse.

Arepo On Fire Again

The Pipelines and Product Marketing Company (PPMC) has confirmed another vandalism of the System 2B pipeline at the Arepo village in Ogun State.

The latest explosion, suspected to have been caused by vandals, happened in the early hours of Wednesday.

A management official of the PPMC, who preferred anonymity, confirmed this in Lagos.

“The service manager of the pipeline has just confirmed to us that another round of vandalism has been observed at Arepo along the System 2B in the early hours of Wednesday.

“I was told all concerned officials have been mobilised to the area to put off the fire,’’ the official said.

The number of casualty could not be ascertained as at the time of filing this report.

It will be recalled that the pipeline at Arepo was vandalised barely 10 days after it was repaired.

Ibrahim Farinloye, the South West Zonal Public Relations Officer of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), also confirmed the latest explosion.

He said that the agency had mobilised resources to move to the swampy area to put out the fire.

“We have mobilised resources to move to the explosion site and put out the fire,” Mr Farinloye said.

This is the second time in 2013 that explosion was recorded at Arepo village.

Pipeline explosion at Arepo…fire rages for two days

A raging fire has been reported at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) pipelines located at Arepo along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

According to officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the fire started at about 10PM  Wednesday night following a gun battle between NNPC security men and some unidentified individuals suspected to be pipeline vandals.

An official of NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, explained to Channels Television that the agency did not receive information regarding the incident until Thursday.

However, efforts by the NEMA officials to get to the scene of the incident to ascertain the extent of damage done has been hampered by the swampy nature of the area which has made access to the place difficult.

Mr Farinloye, however stated that the agency has been able to work-out the plan on how a canoe can reach the raging spot.

He also gave the assurance that officers of the fire service will on Friday be able to make their way through to quenching the raging fire.