Code Of Conduct Tribunal Finds Orubebe Guilty

Orubebe, CCT, Code of Conduct TribunalThe Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) sitting in Abuja, on Tuesday pronounced former Minister of Niger Delta, Godswill Orubebe, guilty of non-declaration of asset.

The asset is in a choice area of Abuja, Asokoro.

Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Danladi Umar, announced a forfeiture of the property.

Justice Umar explained that the testimonies and document presented by the prosecution prove that the former minister is guilty as charged.

He further stated that while the minister claimed that the property was on rent from the federal government, the rejection of the claim by his former landlord to allow him exercise his right over the property rendered the power of attorney useless.

The former Minister had pleaded ‘not guilty’ for two count charges of false declaration of assets and another two counts of bribery when arraigned before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

CCT Chairman, Danladi Umar
Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Justice Danladi Umar

Mr Orubebe was charged by the Code of Conduct Bureau for alleged failure to declare landed property in Kyamu and Asokoro district, both in Abuja, on assumption of office as minister on September 26, 2007.

In the other counts, Mr Orubebe was also accused of allegedly accepting bribes totalling 70 million naira for the award of contracts in favour of his company.

Mr Orubebe’s name had been in the news after the presidential election of March 28, 2015.

On 31 March 2015, Orubebe, acting as a polling agent for the Peoples Democratic Party, tried to disrupt the proceedings of the 2015 presidential election collation.

Orubebe alleged that the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Attahiru Jega, had taken side with the opposition political party at the time, All Progressives Congress (APC).

He, however, subsequently apologised to Nigerians over his conduct by tendering an unreserved apology urging them not to follow in his footsteps and explaining that he regretted his action.

Orubebe’s Trial Stalled Again

OrubebeThe trial of the former Minister of Niger Delta, Mr Godsday Orubebe, over alleged false declaration of assets, has been stalled as the Code of Conduct Tribunal granted the Federal Government two months to amend the charges brought against him.

Chairman of the tribunal, Mr Danladi Yakubu Umar, granted the adjournment despite the accused person’s insistence that he was ready for the trial to go ahead.

The oral application by the lawyer to the Federal Government, Mr Peter Danladu, to alter the charge was, however, opposed by counsel to Orubebe, Mr Selekeowei Larry, who told the tribunal chairman that it was improper for such an application to be treated orally.

Mr Orubebe’s counsel told the tribunal that it was wrong in law for the tribunal and the accused to be taken unawares by the federal government, adding that the alteration to the charge has to be made in writing for all parties to see.

The Tribunal Chairman, after listening to both counsels, adjourned the trial to January 27, 2016.

Orubebe Docked At CCT As Prosecution Fails To Produce Witness

OrubebeThe former Minister of Niger Delta, Mr Godsday Orubebe, has entered a ‘not guilty’ plea for two count charges of false declaration of assets and another two counts of bribery.

Mr Orubebe in counts one and two was accused of failure to declare his assets at plot 2722 Kyamu and plot 2059 in Asokoro district both in Abuja on assumption of office as Minister on September 26, 2007.

In count three, he was accused of accepting 50 million naira bribe from one Pastor Jonathan Alota, on September 19, 2012 for award of contract in favour of his (Alota’s) company, Chemtronics Nigeria Limited.

In count four, he allegedly accepted additional 20million naira bribe from Alota in 2013 for the award of a contract to Chemtronics Nigeria Limited for the construction of skill acquisition centre at Edo State for the sum of 1.8billion naira.

Trial, however, could not commence as the prosecutor told the tribunal that he was not ready with his witnesses.

According to the prosecutor he would require time to get all of his witnesses ready. He therefore asked for two weeks extension to enable him commence with his case.

Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Danladi Umar, expressed disappointment at the failure of the prosecution to present its witnesses immediately after the arraignment.

He adjourned till November 26 ‎with a warning to the prosecution to come with all their witnesses on the next hearing date.

Orubebe Faces Bribery Trial At CCT 

Orubebe

Former Minister of Niger Delta, Mr Godsday Orubebe, is to be arraigned before the Code of Conduct Tribunal on four counts of false assets declaration and bribery.

Mr Orubebe is being charged by the Code of Conduct Bureau for alleged failure to declare landed property in Kyamu and Asoko district, both in Abuja, on assumption of office as minister on September 26, 2007.

In the other counts, Mr Orubebe is also facing charges of allegedly accepting bribes totalling 70 million naira from one Pastor Jonathan Alota for the award of contracts in favour of his company.

The former Niger Delta Minister is to appear before the Justice Danladi Umar-led Code of Conduct Tribunal on November 9, 2015.

Mr Orubebe’s name was in the news after the Presidential election of March 28.

On 31 March 2015, Orubebe, acting as a polling agent for the Peoples Democratic Party, tried to disrupt the proceedings of the 2015 presidential election collation.

At the centre in Nigerias capital, Orubebe alleged that the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Attahiru Jega, had taken side with the opposition political party, All Progressives Congress.

He, however, subsequently apologised to Nigerians over his conduct by tendering an unreserved apology urging them not to follow in his footsteps and explaining that he regretted his action.

Reps to investigate allegations of corruption against Orubebe

The House of Representatives on Thursday directed two of its standing committees to commence an investigation into allegations of corrupt practices brought against the Minister of the Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe.

The Minister of Niger Delta, Godsday Orubebe

The motion presented by a member of the House, Olesegun Odeneye (Ogun State) reminded the House of allegations that the minister has paid for many phantom projects, and is presently residing in a house, built and handed over to him by a construction company which he has failed to declare in his asset declaration.

“A case has been made against the minister as it relates to a house built for him by Setraco Construction Company at Mabushi district here in Abuja. It has been found that he failed to declare the house in his asset declaration form with the Code of Conduct Bureau,” Mr Odeneye said.
The House subsequently mandated its committee on Drugs, Narcotics and Financial Crimes to investigate the matter and make appropriate recommendations to the House within 21 days.

The House further directed the ministry of Finance, the Central Bank and the Accountant General of the federation to suspend all payments into the ministry over what it described as bogus contracts, except the East West road projects until the completion of investigation to verify the authenticity of certificates pending for payment.

The deputy speaker, who presided, ruled that the motion should not be debated until investigations are completed.

A non-governmental organisation, Anti-Corruption Network, led by former member of the House of Representatives, Dino Melaye had accused Mr Orubebe of using his office to divert public fund for his personal use. The organisation provided photos of a residence it claimed was built for the Minister in the Mabushi area of Abuja.

Leader of the group had alleged that Setraco built and delivered the new mansion to Mr Orubebe in less than six months after the company benefitted from contracts to build part of the East-West highway in the Delta region.