Morocco has decided the immediate recall of its ambassador in Abuja for consultation, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
“Contrary to the allegations made by Nigerian authorities to the ambassador of HM the King in Abuja and local media, the Kingdom of Morocco confirms, in the clearest and strongest terms, that there has never been a phone conversation between HM King Mohammed VI and the President of this country”, the ministry said in a statement.
“HM the King has actually declined the request of the Nigerian government because it is part of the internal electioneering and this country’s fundamentally hostile positions with regard to the territorial integrity of the Kingdom,” the statement said.
“The Kingdom of Morocco expresses its astonishment and denunciation to these unethical practices that are contrary to the spirit of responsibility that must prevail in relations between States”, the ministry added.
“Accordingly, the Kingdom of Morocco has decided the immediate recall of the ambassador of HM the King in Abuja for consultation”, the statement concluded.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had released a statement on Sunday, denying reports that President Jonathan had been snubbed by King Mohammed IV.
“This information is absolutely not correct as the president did in fact speak to the Moroccan monarch… both leaders spoke extensively over the phone on matters of mutual interest and concern,” the Ministry said in a statement on behalf of the Federal Government.
The statement said that since the King was away to France and not in Morocco, that both leaders spoke extensively over the phone on matters of mutual interest and concern which have nothing to do with the conduct of the re-scheduled elections in Nigeria.
“It is therefore preposterous to suggest that Mr. President telephone call to the Moroccan Monarch was intended to confer any electoral advantage on the President”, the Ministry added.
[highlight]The Nigeria Football Federation [NFF] has decided to double the winning bonus of the golden eaglets to ensure that the team beat Congo on Saturday and qualify for the FIFA U-17 world cup.[/highlight]
“Beat Congo this weekend; qualify for the FIFA U-17 World cup and get $1,000 as bonus” this is the promise of the Nigeria Football Federation to the golden eaglets
NFF’s head of competitions Sanusi Mohammed said the gesture is to motivate the boys to secure victory in their final group b encounter against Congo at the CAF U-17 championship in Morocco.
Nigeria only need a win to secure a place in the semi-final of the biennial showpiece as well as book a ticket to FIFA U-17 world cup in the U.A.E later this year.
Cote d’Ivoire leads group b with four points, followed by Nigeria with three points. Congo is on two points, while Ghana is bottom with a point.
Igesund’s Bafana Bafana is beginning to feel the heat of the Afcon 2013 in a make or mar situation as host, even before the curtain raiser against Cape Verde who are newcomers in the African Cup of Nations.
Tagged under-fire, South Africa has been below par in terms of performance as they have not claimed victory in the tournament since winning the Nations Cup in 1996.
Now the Bafana Bafana will be up against the likes of Morocco, Angola and Cape Verde in the group stages of the Afcon 2013 as they hope that their luck will change with a huge home support with heavy vuvuzela horning fans in Soweto to make a difference going back memory lane where they won their Nations Cup in 1996.
Nothing short of a victory is expected of the team, else a draw or lose will pitch the team in a land of disaster as their showdown in the opening matches will determine where they would get to in the African tournament.