NHRC Probes Al-Makura Over Allegations Of Rights Violation

al-makuraThe National Human Right Commission (NHRC) has opened an investigation on the alleged right violation of one Lois Iorvihi along the Lafia\Akwanga Expressway against the convoy of Governor Tanko Al-Makura of Nasarawa State.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission, Prof Bem Anwge, who led a team of investigators to the Governor’s Office in Lafia, said the investigation process will not be swayed by any emotion as generated by the petition on the social media.
“We owe it a duty to be fair and just by ensuring the protection of the rights of all Nigerians, including that of the vulnerable and those in position of authority.

“The commission will not allow persons who occupy public offices, endowed with state powers to misuse such at the detriment of the vulnerable public.

“Similarly, the commission will not permit allegations aimed at exposing public office holders to ridicule and hatred”, he said.

Governor Al-Makura while stating his own side of the story insists he never used abusive words on the lady as speculated on the social media.

The governor told the team that his decision to submit himself for the investigation and waiving his immunity as a governor was borne out of respect for human rights.

“Subjecting myself to be investigated by the Commission over the allegation is also to set a precedence and make a statement that in spite of one’s immunity as a political office holder, there are certain things that one should hold in respect for humanity.”

The Governor maintained that his immunity meant nothing to him as far as the issues of human rights was concerned.

He added that he was ready to cooperate with the commission to unearth the truth about the incident involving his convoy.

Jigawa Group Petitions NHRC Over 486 Detained Suspects In Abia

NHRCThe National Human Rights Commission said on Thursday, June 26 that it had received a petition from the members of the Jigawa Forum over the arrest and detention of 486 persons suspected to be Boko Haram members in Abia State.

In a statement by the commission’s Chief Press Officer, Fatimah Mohammed, the group, led by one Alhaji Ahmed Wanga, demanded an immediate release or prosecution of the detainees as they observed that the suspects had been detained for 10 days running.

The Executive Secretary of the commission, Prof. Bem Angwe, received the petition from the group on behalf of the NHRC.

The statement quoted Angwe as urging Nigerians to support the security agencies in their bid to combat insurgency, but also advised the security operatives “not to hide under the cover of security to infringe on the rights of the citizens.”

He also urged the security agencies to ensure that arrested persons were subjected to a screening process to separate those who for justifiable reasons were suspects, from those going about their normal businesses.

Prof. Angwe commended the group for not taking the laws into their hands but rather approached the commission which would ensure that the rights of the detained persons are enforced in line with the mandate.

The helmsman of NHRC also used the opportunity to reiterate that every Nigerian is entitled to his fundamental rights to freedom of movement and that “any attempt to breach this constitutional provision constitutes a setback to democracy” and therefore urged the relevant authorities to ensure that no citizen is detained unduly.

The Chief Executive Officer of NHRC described the current insecurity in the country as unfortunate and disturbing.

Human Rights Commission To Investigate Demolition Of Abuja Houses

National-Human-Right-Commission-NHRC-logosThe National Human Right Commission (NHRC) has vowed to investigate the demolition of Lungu village, in Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory, where a baby and  mother are reported to have lost their lives on Thursday evening.

During an assessment of the exercise, the Executive Secretary of the commission, who was represented by his special assistant, Mr Harry Ogwuche-Obe, met the residents of the community as well as the traditional ruler of the village.

The commission urged residents of the area to be calm and await the outcome of the investigation while the residents narrated their experience during the demolition.

“We have just started our investigations. Some people have told us same thing, but as far as we are concerned, that is a very serious allegation that deserves every iota of investigation”

“You can trust that at the National Human Rights Commission will definitely investigate this matter to its logical conclusion”“We have just started our investigations. Some people have told us same thing, but as far as we are concerned, that is a very serious allegation that deserves every iota of investigation”
“You can trust that at the National Human Rights Commission will definitely investigate this matter to its logical conclusion” Ogwuche-Obe said.

The Chief of the demolished area blamed land developers over the incident and accused them of using money to influence the action of the development control unit of the FCDA.

A stranded resident noted that she “was in her house trying to bathe my baby and then we saw a Caterpillar bulldozer came in and started scattering people’s houses”

“People started shouting from the fifth house that somebody has died”, she said.

Another resident confirmed the death of a woman and her baby during the demolition. She noted that the woman, after several pleas to the security officials supervising the demolition to go into her house and pick her child, stabbed herself to death when she discovered the child had died.

Protests erupted in Abuja Model City, Adkan Estate, Gwarinpa II and Galadima on Thursday following the demolition. The major road to the estate and the main gate, were blocked by the protesters making it impossible for motorists to enter or leave the estate.

This resulted in a gridlock in the estate, spilling over to the Kubwa expressway as tyres were burnt at the gate.

Meanwhile, The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has denied reports that two persons, a woman and her child died during the demolition.