Court Dismisses Suit Challenging Appointment Of NIA DG

Man Bags 15 Years In Prison For N5.2m Fraud

 

A Federal High Court presided over by Justice Okon Abang has dismissed a suit filed by a non-governmental organization, Center for Awareness, Justice, and Accountability challenging the appointment of Mister Ahmed Abubakar as the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency.

In a judgment lasting over two hours, Justice Abang dismissed the suit on the ground that the appointment of Mr. Abubakar is within the executive powers of President Buhari who has not acted outside the provisions of the constitution and the act establishing the National Intelligence Agency.

The court also held the plaintiffs lacks the locus standi to institute the action having failed to disclose any reasonable action justifying the filing of the suit.

READ ALSO: EFCC Arrests Gang Members For Defrauding Professor

Justice Okon who described the suit as a mere distraction aimed at wasting the judicial time of the court further said that since the issue concerns an appointment made by the Federal Government, the appropriate court to entertain such a suit is the National Industrial Court.

To serve as a deterrent to others who institute actions in the name of public interest litigation, the court awarded the cost of two million naira against the plaintiff which must be paid to the Federal Government before other steps are taken concerning the suit.

The plaintiffs had in their suit urged the court to declare as null and void the appointment of Mister Ahmed Abubakar as the DG of NIA on the ground he lacks the qualification to occupy the position having retired as a Deputy Director from the Agency.

The plaintiffs also asked the court to direct President Buhari to appoint the mist senior serving Director from the NIA as the Director-General.

Reps To Investigate NIA Over Allegedly Missing $44m

Reps To Conclude Work On Constitution Amendment Thursday
File photo

The House of Representatives has on Tuesday mandated its committee on national security and intelligence to investigate reports of $44 million allegedly missing from the vaults of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA).

The sponsor of the motion which led to this resolution, Rep. Douye Diri, observed that this latest report is coming too soon after over $43million of the same agency were discovered in a block of flats in Ikoyi, Lagos State.

Further Details Shortly…

Legal Practitioner Faults FG’s Committee On SGF, NIA DG’s Investigation

A legal practitioner, John Oloyede, has faulted the Federal Government’s idea of setting up a committee to investigate issues surrounding the suspension of the Secretary to the Federal Government, Babachir Lawal and the Director General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ayo Oke.

He said in Nigeria, committees are set up to cover up lies. “There is a lie and you need a bigger lie to cover it up”.

“Why should the Vice President be heading a committee to investigate an allegation of crime against two individuals.

 Dead On Arrival

“Secondly, the Attorney General and even the Presidency authored a response to the allegations by the Senate, giving the Secretary to the Government of the Federation a clean bill of health previously.

“The clean bill of health was on the basis of a report that was submitted by the Attorney General of the Federation. You now set up a committee; that committee is dead on arrival.

“If you suspect that there is some proof that something untoward has been done and is an infraction of the law, the proper procedure is not to set up a committee that is dead on arrival.”

The lawyer therefore stated that the President should have taken a different step, rather than setting up a committee headed by the Vice President.

Let EFCC Investigate

“In Nigeria, you set up institutions and decapitate the institutions,” he said, while also noting that “what Professor Sani said, is playing out. You do not move two different sets of rules to fight corruption.

“If there is an allegation of crime against somebody, first and foremost, where did the first report come from? Now that it has become apparent to you (Mr President), that there is a problem with this particular person or persons, aren’t there institutions that are presently fighting the war on corruption? The EFCC, DSS, Police? He questioned.

“That administrative step should not be in public domain, it is not our business,” Oloyede added.

According to him, “the important thing now is that once a person is suspended, the EFCC should do their work.

“Let them investigate this person, just like they are investigating and charging other people to court. Why have two sets of rules for the same kind of crimes.”

He holds the belief that since the AGF had absolved the SGF before, he could easily do same this time around as he would not want to double speak. However, if he does otherwise, then his previous report would be questioned.

“If he says this man is guilty as charged, then we’ll say where did you get your false report before, why didn’t you do a thorough investigation? The chief law officer, involved in double speak, that is untoward,” he asserted.

Meanwhile, other reactions have continued to trail the suspension. The Chairman of the Senate’s Ad-hoc Committee on Humanitarian crises in the North East, Shehu Sani, however, stated that the suspension of Mr Babachir Lawal will not interrupt its ongoing investigation of the Presidential Initiative on the North East (PINE).

Updated: Buhari Suspends SGF, NIA DG

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the suspension of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. David Babachir Lawal.

President Buhari has also ordered an investigation into the allegations of violations of law and due process made against the SGF in the award of contracts under the Presidential Initiative on the North East (PINE).

Also, pending the outcome of the investigation into the discovery of large amounts of foreign and local currencies by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), in a residential apartment at Osborne towers, Ikoyi, Lagos state, the President has suspended the Director General of the National Intelligence Agency, Ayo Oke.

This was made known in a statement signed by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina.

According to the statement, the investigation is also to enquire into the circumstances in which the NIA came into possession of the funds, how and by whose or which authority the funds were made available to the NIA, and to establish whether or not there has been a breach of the law or security procedure in obtaining custody and use of the funds.

Emotional Moment

A three-man Committee comprising the Honorable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, and the National Security Adviser, headed by the Vice President, is to conduct both investigations.

The committee is expected to submit its report to the President within 14 days.

In the interim, the most senior Permanent Secretary in the SGF’s office, and the most senior officer in the NIA, are to act, respectively, during the period of investigation.

Meanwhile, Mr. Osinbajo has held a closed door meeting with the SGF, Mr. Lawal. The NIA DG, Mr. Oke, who had been turned back earlier, in an emotion-laden moment and denied attempts to speak with the VP, was later granted an audience.

Sambisa Conquest: Military Officer Warns Troops Not To Relax

sunrise1A retired military officer an anti-terrorist specialist, Colonel Tony Nyiam, has sounded a note of warning on the defeat of Sambisa forest.

While praising the military for achieving defeat, he warns that there is need for the authorities to watch it, as the war against terrorists may not have been completely won.

He was speaking on our breakfast programme Sunrise Daily.

We must make a distinction – What they have achieved is much more on the conventional warfare aspect in recapturing territories.

“We must not lose sight that there is the unconventional warfare which to my humble estimate, we have achieved over 50% degrading of the threat, but we are still at it.

“In other words, with all these terrorists now scattered all over, they would now resort to hiding and going back to other unconventional methods in our major cities such as Abuja, Lagos, Maiduguri,” among others.

The ex-miltary officer believes that fighting insurgency, is not only the role of the military.

He therefore stated that other agencies such as “the Department of State Security Services (DSS), the National Intelligence Agency, and of course all other agencies have roles to play”.

“We need to rely on un-uniformed security agencies, to complement what the military has done, Nyian suggested.

“We should just keep on improving on the good efforts we have given so far.”

Best Christmas

About a week ago, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, had announced that the era of Boko Haram militants had ended as Nigerian soldiers raided and conquered the group’s “last stronghold” in Sambisa forest.

Following this development, the Borno state Governor, Kashim Shettima, described the news as the best Christmas and New Year gift to the people of Borno State.

Commander of Operation Lafia Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, has however said that the military is now more concerned about winning the peace in the north-east after winning the war in Sambisa forest.

He told Channels Television on Friday, that the military is now carrying out a mop up operation to establish full control of the area.

Northern Govs Call Emergency Meeting To Discuss Security Situation

northern_governorsAn emergency meeting of Northern States Governors’ Forum (NSGF) has been scheduled for Tuesday, 22nd April, 2014 at the Niger State Governor’s Lodge, Jose Marti Crescent, Asokoro, Abuja at 4:00 p.m.

A statement made available to Channels  Television said that the meeting was called out of concern to address the incessant attacks and systematic killings of innocent people going on in the region, which has become a source of embarrassment and great concern to the Forum.

The statement explained that the meeting would discuss the increasing incidences of clashes between Fulani herdsmen and local communities, as well as reckless massacre and kidnapping of people across the Northern States.

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has been in a meeting with members of the  National Security Council in the Presidential Villa to review recent  security events and developments in the country.

Those present  at the meeting include Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Minister of Defence, Lt.-Gen Aliyu Gusau, the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd.), the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, the Service Chiefs, the Inspector-General of Police, the Director-General of the State Security Services and the Director-General of National Intelligence Agency.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Minister of Police Affairs, and the Minister for the Interior are also present at the meeting.

The meeting of the National Security Council would be followed by an enlarged meeting on security developments in the country to which President Jonathan has invited State Governors.