Flood Victims In Niger State Appeal For Resettlement Support

flood victims, Niger state, resettlement supportFlood victims in over 25 communities, mainly rice farmlands, in Ketso local government area of Niger state, that were ravaged with flood, have pleaded for an urgent government intervention.

They also appealed to international organizations to urgently come to their aid in order to curb the impact of the annual flood that has destroyed several farmlands and other valuables.

Ketso the home town of Niger state Deputy Governor, Ahmed Mohammed Ketso, is situated at the bank of River Niger, and has witnessed annual flooding.

Several houses, public buildings and farm produce were said to have been destroyed in the area, leaving residents in abject poverty.

The District Head of the village, Alhaji Yahaya Abdullahi, speaking to Channels Television, disclosed that they were ready for resettlement but are seeking the government’s support in the resettlement process.

He explained that Ketso has 25 other villages under it that were persistently ravaged by flood annually, which had been more devastating due to their location.

However, the village head stated that the first thing to do was to acquire a Certificate Of Occupancy (C of O) of the land allocated to them from Mokwa.

Mr Abdullahi decried that since the construction of Kanji and Jebba Dams, the community had continued to experience more devastating flood incidents, adding that the people upstream were compensated while the downstream of the dam communities, were left on their own to suffer the hardship it had created.

An indigene of the village, Hassan Umar Sonfada also revealed that the people of the area now live in poverty due to the devastating effect of the continues flood on the people, a situation that calls for concern by all.

Sonfada said that the people are ready to relocate to the land allocated to them at Gbedoti in Mokwa local government but handicapped as a result of lack of C of O, which would authenticate their settlement, avoiding future land tussle from the original owners.

He lamented that although the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA), had brought relief items such as rice, maize and mosquito nets, they were however insufficient.

Furthermore, he added that they were vulnerable to all kinds of water borne diseases and infections, due to lack of good drinking water and toilet facilities.

The Director General, Niger State Emergency Management Agency(NSEMA), Ahmed Ibrahim Inga, on the other hand, said that huge sums of money had been spent on providing succor for the victims.

According to him, there had been procurement of drugs, food stuffs, building materials, clothing materials, bed covers, blankets, mattresses, as well as outright cash gifts and provision of temporary camps for the victims of the flood disasters in parts of the state.

Governor Bello Compensates Families Of Electrocuted Persons In Niger State

Niger-Abubakar BelloThe Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, has made a cash donation to families the victims of electric surge in the state.

The families of the electrocuted victims in Jatau area of Maitumbi near an FM Station, which include a Village head, his son and a Police inspector on Friday received the sum of 15 million Naira.

The presentation of the cash succour to the victims was made by the Commissioner of Youth and Sports, Mr Mamman Muas, who represented Governor Bello.

The family of the late village head of Jatau and his son got a sum of two million Naira while the Police inspector’s family received one million Naira, as the rest was shared among 45 families of the affected victims.

In his reaction to the gesture, the representative of Bosso Local Government Area in the Niger State House of Assembly, Honourable Abdulmalik Bosso, appreciated the effort of the Governor.

He also commended Governor Bello for his proactive step, stressing that he could still remember them after three months of the ugly incident.

“We the people of Bosso Local Government are very grateful for your kind gesture and support,” he said.

Also present at the cash relief donation were the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Mr Kabiru Abbas, and the Director General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Inga.

NSEMA Distributes Relief Materials To Flood Victims

nsemaThe Niger State Emergency Management Agency, NSEMA on Wednesday, begun the distribution of relief materials to 16 local governments affected by flood in 2015.

The Niger State Deputy Governor, Ahmed Ketso, at the flag off ceremony, said that it cost the state government a sum of 50 million Naira to package the relief materials for the 16 affected local governments in the state.

Mr Ketso stated that the materials were meant to cushion the effect of the flood on the life’s of the victims.

He, however, warned the handling officials to ensure that the materials got to the persons they were meant for.

The Director General of Niger State Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Inga, also assured the Governor that measures had been put in place to ensure effective distribution of the relief materials through their Local Government Desk Officers, who took record of the victims.

Mr Inga told reporters that the materials distributed include; two trucks of cement and rice each (1,200) respectively, 500 bags of maize, 300 bags of garri and 200 roofing sheets.

Others were 200 jerrycans of Palm oil and groundnut oil each, 200 cartons of salt and 4,400 cartons of food seasoning.

The Chairman of Bida Local Government Area, Baba Indaman, represented by Umaru Gbate, who received the goods on behalf of other councils, assured the affected persons of a judicious distribution of the materials.

Mr Gbate expressed happiness over the gesture from the state government noting that mechanism has been put in place for onward distribution through their ward chairmen, who would hand the items over to them, with the record available to them.

Fire Guts Abdulkadir Kure Market In Minna

fireFire has gutted Abdulkadir Abdullahi Kure Ultra Modern Market in Minna, the capital of Niger State on Sunday.

Properties worth billions of Naira were destroyed including cash. 50 shops were completely burnt down.

The incident occurred at around 1AM on Sunday morning and was blamed on the use of generators because as at the time of the incident, there was no light from the normal electricity supply channel.

Some of the affected victims in an interview with Channels Television expressed shock over the incident describing it as very unfortunate.

Mr Babale Abubakar disclosed that the marketers had earlier complained about inability to access roads in case of incidents like this adding that the fire service men came, but they couldn’t do anything.

Investigation revealed that most of the victims lost millions of Naira in cash due to public holidays and weekend as they could not go to the bank for deposits within the period while expressing bitterness over lack of fire fighting equipment in the market for prompt response.

One of the affected victims, who lost about 40 million Naira cash in foreign currency (Dollars), Mr Salisu, was said to have collapsed on his arrival at the market and was rushed to an unidentified hospital for urgent attention.

But an eyewitness told Channels Television that Salisu had changed the currency so as to travel to Togo between Saturday and Sunday (January 2 and 3) to purchase goods.

The victims, however, appealed to the State Government and relevant agencies, to as a matter of urgency, come to their aid with the view of cushioning the effect.

They called on the state government to also help them renovate the building and assist them financially.

“We are appealing to government at every level and other relevant bodies to please assist us renovate the shops urgently before other assistance can be rendered, so that we can start afresh because we lost everything” one of the victims said.

The Niger State Deputy Governor, Ahmed Ketso, had earlier visited the market to sympathize with the affected victims, where he held a meeting with the Executive of the market, National Emergency Management Agency and Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) to take inventory of what was lost in each of the shops with the view of coming to their aid.

Mr Ketso directed them to compile the list and access everything through Chanchaga Local Government Area to the NSEMA, which would be forwarded to the state government immediately for appropriate action.

He also urged them to take it with good faith praying that such will not happen again.

Woman Slumps, Dies In Niger Governor’s Office

A 46 year-old woman, Hajiya Bilkisu Mahmoud, slumped and died in the office of the Niger State Governor, Muazu Aliyu on Monday.

Sources told Channels Television in Minna that the woman, a mother of three, had waited several hours to see the Governor, but was denied access to see him because he was said to have a lot of files to treat due to the New Year break.

She was later allowed to see the Governor after much pleading and while in the Governor’s Office she slumped and died.

The woman who was suspected to be asthmatic was immediately rushed to the Minna General Hospital where doctors confirmed her dead.

All attempts to get an official statement from the State Government proved abortive, as all officials of the state avoided attempts to get them to comment.

She retired from the State Civil Service three years ago and until her death, was a staff of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency.

Flood claims two more lives in Niger state

Two more people have been killed by flood in Lapia local government area of Niger state, making the total lives lost to the rampaging flood in the state to 49.

Speaking to Channels Television in Minna, the Director General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA), Mr Mohammed Shaba, explained that 17 years old Isa Mako and 11 years old, Safiya Nakoje of Egba village were returning from their daily farm work when the flood which had ravage the whole community carried them away.

Their corpses were later discovered outside the village square, 24 hours later by a search and rescue team of the local government council.

Mr Shaba further stated that over 6000 persons had been rendered homeless in 37 communities across the state by the flood which he claimed has overwhelmed both the local and the state government.