France To Evacuate Around 100 COVID-19 Patients From Paris

Health workers take nasal swabs from people for both Covid-19 antigen and RT-PCR tests at a drive-through testing site in Marseille on December 21, 2020. (Photo by Christophe SIMON / AFP)

 

France’s government said Sunday it plans to evacuate around 100 Covid-19 patients from intensive care units in the Paris region this week as hospitals struggle to keep up with a surge in cases.

With the transfers, officials hope to avoid a new lockdown for the roughly 12 million people in and around the capital as they race to step up a vaccination drive that got off to a slow start.

“By the end of this week, probably around 100 patients will have been evacuated from the Ile-de-France region” encompassing Paris, government spokesman Gabriel Attal said at Orly airport, where two patients — aged 33 and 70 — were airlifted to the southwestern city of Bordeaux.

Later this week, two specially equipped trains will transfer “several dozens of patients to regions that today are under less strain” from the pandemic, Attal added.

Asked if Paris would avoid a new lockdown, Attal said “we are doing everything we can to not have to take more difficult, more restrictive measures.”

However, “we will always take whatever decisions are necessary.”

The government has already ordered weekend shutdowns for the northern Pas-de-Calais region — where transfers of Covid patients to less crowded hospitals began earlier this month — and in the Mediterranean region surrounding Nice.

Of the nearly 4,100 Covid patients currently in intensive care nationwide, around 1,100 are in Paris-area hospitals.

A 6 pm curfew remains in place across France and restaurants, cafes, cinemas, theatres and large shopping centres have been shut, but the average daily number of new Covid cases has continued to climb steadily in recent weeks.

On Saturday, France’s public health agency reported nearly 30,000 new cases over the previous 24 hours and 174 fatalities, bringing France’s total death toll to 90,315.

AFP

Patient Dies In Kwara After Striking Workers Switch Off Ventilator

The entrance of the University of ilorin Teaching hospital, Kwara State.

 

A patient at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital in Kwara State has died following an industrial action embarked upon by health workers amidst the coronavirus disease.

Channels Television learned from a family source that the patient, Olusola Olagunju, had been on life support before the incident occurred.

The victim was said to have died after the aggrieved workers switched off the oxygen.

A friend of the deceased, Ezekiel Adewole, said the unfortunate incident occurred on Tuesday.

Adewole explained that the patient died before being evacuated to another hospital for medical attention.

The wards of University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, Kwara State.

 

“He was referred to UITH, Ilorin for treatment. He has been undergoing this treatment for a while. He had difficulty in breathing, that is the only issue he had.

“He was okay, very active online. He was always on online – WhatsApp, Twitter and all others. The only thing is that he could not talk frequently on phone.

READ ALSO: Police Recruitment: Statutory Entry Requirements Remain Sacrosanct, Says IGP

“He was using the support of oxygen. On Tuesday, we heard that the UITH went on strike. On that fateful day, they switched off their light.

“This guy was living on oxygen, electric oxygen. Immediately they switched off their light, he could not use the oxygen any longer and that was how his system collapsed.

The compound of the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital Teaching Hospital where a patient on life support died over the strike embarked by health workers.

 

“In the process of taking him to another hospital, he gave up. His family also sought the assistance of an ambulance, but they were denied because the drivers were also on strike,” he said.

But reacting, the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) at the medical facility registered its displeasure over the situation that cost the patient’s life.

NARD Chairman, Lanre Oloshunde, however insisted that as medical practitioners, patients owe them the respect as they perform their duties.

“We have suspended the strike. The strike was informed from a security situation that happened at the hospital in which one of our doctors was assaulted on duty.

 

“Since then, the management of the hospital has been able to respond with some security measures. At least to some extent, that has guaranteed the safety of our members being able to work.

“We heard that our security was not guaranteed then, that is why we had to go on strike. Thankfully, there has been some security improvements so far in this regard,” he said.

While praying that the situation does not repeat itself again, Oloshunde advised members of the public against attacking health workers.

Armenia Hospitals Overwhelmed As COVID-19 Cases Surge

A hospital worker (C) wearing a protective face mask and outfit, speaks with two ambulance doctors wearing yellow protective suits at the Grigor Lusavorich Medical Centre in Yerevan on May 27, 2020, amid the COVID-19 pandemic caused by the novel coronavirus. Karen MINASYAN / AFP.

 

Hospitals in Armenia can no longer cope with the number of coronavirus patients, the country’s prime minister warned on Thursday.

Nikol Pashinyan, who has himself tested positive, said there could be as many as 20,000 people infected but showing no symptoms in the country, which has so far registered 11,221 cases and 176 deaths.

The health ministry said an additional 68 patients who tested positive for the virus had died from other illnesses.

Last week, health officials warned that intensive care beds would soon be reserved for patients with the best chance of survival.

“I have got bad news,” Pashinyan said in a video statement on his Facebook page. “The epidemiological situation is worsening and medical facilities cannot timely hospitalise all the coronavirus patients who need (medical treatment).”

READ ALSO: Senegal To Ease COVID-19 Curfew After Angry Protests

Pashinyan has acknowledged his government failed to enforce anti-virus measures and denounced widespread quarantine violations.

Armenia has already lifted a state of emergency that was imposed in March to slow the spread of the virus.

Conspiracy theories and disinformation on social media undermined government efforts to fight the outbreak, according to analysts.

AFP

Akwa-Ibom Discharges Four Recovered COVID-19 Patients

PHOTO USED TO ILLUSTRATE THE STORY: A health worker helps his colleague with his PPE during a community testing as part of efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19. Sodiq Adelakun/Channels TV

 

Akwa-Ibom State government have discharged four COVID-19 patients from the isolation centre at the Ibom Specialist Hospital in Uyo, the state capital, after testing negative twice.

This was disclosed on Sunday by the Commissioner for Health and COVID-19 Incident Manager in the state, Dominic Ukpong, while briefing journalists at the Ibom Multi-Specialty Hospital, Uyo.

Ukpong said the confirmation followed the release of five results of the thirty-one samples that were sent to the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) by the Akwa Ibom State COVID-19 Management Committee.

READ ALSO: Nigeria Records 11 More COVID-19 Deaths, Total Now 128

“We recently tested 31 patients and we have started getting the results. The final results will be coming this evening. We’ve got five results so far and of the five results, four are actually negative, so we discharged them,” Ukpong said.

The health commissioner added that it is the wish of the state that the remaining results will be more of negatives, so as to encourage a return to normalcy in the state.

He warned commercial transporters against sharing of facemasks which they allegedly hand out to passengers to use while onboard their vehicles and retrieve them upon disembarking so as to be used by another passenger.

Ukpong said the sharing of facemasks is dangerous and unacceptable, and urged members of the public to avoid the practice.

COVID-19: Two Patients Flee After Testing Positive In Borno

Air Force Officer Dismissed For Raping 14-Year-Old IDP

 

Two patients – Abbas Kaka Hassan (a 24-year-old male) and Hauwa Mohammed (42-year-old female) are on the run after testing positive to COVID-19 at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital in Borno State.

The male is of Layin Tanki in Gwange 11 while the woman lives in Shuwari ward.

While briefing journalists, the Commissioner of Health and Secretary to the State Response Team for the Prevention and Control of COVID-19, Dr Salisu Kwayabura, confirmed this on Sunday at the Government House in Maiduguri.

Kwayabura said the male patient was in initial telephone contact with the response team after his sample was collected, but eventually switched off his phone when he learnt he tested positive

According to the Commissioner, a phone number through which the patient’s mother was in touch with the team has also been switched off.

“When samples of patients with contacts to index cases are collected, they are normally advised to go on self-isolation. They give their contacts so they can be reached when the results are out.

“This is the standard medical procedure. You can’t detain someone with suspected contact. We do not have the lawful powers to do that.

“Other patients were also allowed to leave but they came into isolation centres and we have 19 of them in two isolation centres. However, the young man in question chose to go into hiding,” he said.

While noting that a diligent surveillance and investigation team is working very hard to track the patient, he called on anyone who tests positive to the disease not to regard it as a death sentence as the majority of those who test positive have recovered from the disease.

He, however, stated that 16 of COVID-19 cases emanated from community transmission, while 14 others were connected with the index and another case.

The state government also called on citizens to take serious preventive measures across the state.

 

Lagos Discharges Four More COVID-19 Patients

File photo/ AFP

 

The Lagos State Government has discharged four coronavirus patients in the state, thereby raising the total number of discharged persons to 98.

In a tweet on Sunday, the State Ministry of Health said the patients were all males, adding that it has so far discharged 98 patients.

“Four more #COVID19Lagos patients; all male have been discharged to reunite with the [email protected]

“The patients; 3 from our isolation facility at Yaba & 1 from Lagos University Teaching Hospital @LUTHofficial have fully recovered and tested negative twice consecutively to COVID-19,” it said.

This comes after the Commissioner for Health, Professor Akin Abayomi, revealed the local governments where the highest cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) were recorded in the state,

Speaking during a briefing on the outbreak of the disease in the state, the Commissioner explained that the highest number of infections were recorded in the Lagos Mainland Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

“Looking at the local government distribution of cases, you can see that the majority of cases are in the Lagos mainland (LGA), followed by Eti-Osa (LGA).

“Then runs closely behind is Ikeja, and we are beginning to see a bit of activity in Alimosho (LGA),” the commissioner said.

Stop referring patients abroad for medical treatments – FG

The Federal Government has threatened to sanction doctors in federal tertiary hospitals who are in the habit of referring patients abroad for ailments that can be treated in Nigeria.

The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, who sounded the warning on Thursday in Abuja while speaking at a meeting with Chief Executives of Federal Tertiary Hospitals in Nigeria said the federal goverment will no longer tolerate doctors who refer patients abroad for services that can be rendered in Nigeria.

According to him, “Some times we are wasteful with our prescriptions. So many people travel abroad because of their ignorance, they are not aware of such services in Nigeria…management of the government hospitals should uphold medical standards and discipline in their hospitals.”

The minister further said, “From whom much is given, much is expected. Nigerians expect best services from you and Mr. President also expect no less from you…Medical practice demands much more standards than other sectors. We have to do all to meet the standards. I want to urge the CMDs and CEOs to ensure that their managements are up to the task. We must go by all the laws on ground.”

Meanwhile, all public hospitals have been instructed to embrace the use auto disposable syringes with effects from October.