The Deputy President of the Nigerian Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, has said no amount of intimidation or harassment will deter him from carrying out his constitutionally prescribed duties.
The proclamation is coming sequel to an earlier statement by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)’s Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, on Sunday that the party had been made aware of various threats to life and other forms of intimidation and blackmail against Senator Ekweremadu.
Mr Metuh had alleged that the Inspector General of Police, acting on instructions from the All Progressives Congress (APC) had invited the Deputy Senate President with a view to arresting him over allegations of forging the Senate Rule Book.
In a swift reaction, APC’s Spokesman, Lai Mohammed, said that the party was not aware that any petition was written against the Deputy Senate President.
However, Senator Ekweremadu, explaining that the PDP and APC Senators willingly elected him on June 9, reiterated in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media that he would not be prevented from carrying out his responsibility.
Senator Ekweremadu further stated that necessary steps were being taken by the security agencies to beef up security around him.
He gave the assurance that the situation was under control.
According to him, all democratic steps were being taken to preserve the nation’s democracy and protect the independence of the legislature.
He commended the nation’s security agencies for their professional handling of the situation so far, acknowledging with a deep sense of gratitude, the numerous youths across Nigeria who have volunteered to provide additional security around him.
The Leaders of the People’s Democratic Party in the South-East of Nigeria have rejected the plan by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, allocating 8,000 new polling units to the South zone and 21,000 to the North zone of the country.
Leaders of the southeast People’s Democratic Party have described the move as a great disservice to the unity of the nation and therefore demanded its reversal.
The party’s Publicity Secretary, Olisah Metuh, who addressed journalists after a closed door meeting that lasted for four hours at the banquet hall of the Abia State Government House, Umuahia, said that the leaders of South-East PDP demand that the allocation of new polling units be suspended with immediate effect.
The party also requested for the extension of registration of voters by INEC, as they considered this to be of higher priority as the country prepares for its general election in 2015.
They also commended President Goodluck Jonathan and the Federal Ministry of Health on the efforts made so far to curtail the outbreak of the Ebola disease in Nigeria and resolved to support him as a presidential candidate in the 2015 Election.
Ahead of campaign flag-off for the reelection bid of Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, the All Progressive Congress, APC, Osun State Chapter, says it has uncovered plans by the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, to cause mayhem and scuttle its rally in Ile-Ife.
Addressing newsmen in Ile-Ife, the Chairman of APC Campaign Committee for Ife Zone, Folorunso Bamisayemi, stated that the plot to cause mayhem and prevent the party from kick-starting its rally would not hold as the APC was poised to continue the developmental programmes is has for the state.
Bamisayemi, however, said that the party has alerted the Police and the Department of State Security Service, DSS, about the plot and warned whoever was behind it to desist from such acts capable of causing chaos in the town.
He called on Osun citizens to be vigilant in the days, weeks and months ahead of the August 9 governorship election.
In a swift reaction, the state PDP Publicity Secretary, Bola Ajao, debunked the allegation against his party.
He said that if there were indeed evidences of plan to cause mayhem anywhere in the state, APC should inform the Police and other security agencies rather than run to the press.
He said that all political parties should endeavor to concentrate on issues and ensure there is peace in the State of Osun.
Former Head of State and leader of the All Progressives Congress, General Muhammadu Buhari, has asked the People’s Democratic Party’s Publicity Secretary, Mr Olisa Metuh, to apologize to him in seven days or face legal action.
General Buhari wants Mr Metuh to retract statements linking him with the Book Haram sect and has asked the PDP Spokesman to tender an unreserved public apology for accusation linking him with the Boko Haram terrorist acts.
The former military leader said that the widely publicized and very serious allegations made against him by the PDP and its Spokesman, Olisa Metuh, to the effect that his utterances were responsible for the current state of insecurity and terrorism bedeviling Nigeria, were absolutely without basis.
General Buhari said that Mr Metuh intentionally chose to misquote his interview in 2012 that the opposition was determined to fight in the 2015 Elections.
“I used the Hausa idiom ‘Kare jini, Biri jini’, which is a metaphor for a very tough fight. But, like the Islamic fundamentalist toga they falsely put on me because they cannot impinge on my personal and professional integrity, PDP apologists deliberately twisted this idiom to mean I called for violence”, he said.
The APC chieftain went further: ”I take very serious exception to this grave accusation against me by the PDP Publicity Secretary. It is a false allegation aimed at tarnishing my image and reputation in the hope of destroying my political and electoral standings, and that of my party, the APC, in the country.”
General Buhari denied having any links with the Boko Haram sect and said that he was not a violent person and that other than his military training; he abhors violence and has never associated with violence.