Two Kidnapped Germans Regain Freedom

Two Kidnapped Germans Regain FreedomThe two Germans who were recently kidnapped in kaduna state have regained their freedom.

A reliable police source told Channels Television that the victims, Professor Peter Breunia and Johannes Behirnger, were released unhurt late on Saturday by their abductors.

They were released in Katari village, along the Kaduna – Abuja expressway, after intense pressure and surveillance around the forest by a combined team of Intelligence Response Team, Police Mobile Force and personnel of the state Anti-Kidnapping Unit.

The source however did not reveal whether any ransom was paid but confirmed that the victims have been re-united with officials of the German embassy in Abuja.

The two Germans were kidnapped on the February 22, in a Kaduna deep forest where they were said to have gone for archaeological work to discover an ancient town that is not existing now in the forest.

APC National Chairman Assures Citizens Of Stable Leadership

APC, PetroleumThe National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Mr John Oyegun, says Nigeria is still under a stable leadership under the Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, as he believes strongly in both what the president and the party stands for in terms of effective leadership.

Mr Oyegun was speaking when a delegation of the national leadership of the party paid a condolence visit to Okwuosa family in Oraifite, Anambra state on Saturday.

He, further assured Nigerians that the temporary absence of the president did not affect the conduct of government business.

According to him, the president had already built a firm foundation for national leadership and everything was still in perfect shape for the good of the entire nation, even as citizens look forward for his return in good health.

He said, “Well the president is there, he may not be physically with us right now. the nation is on course, no question about that because we are lucky. We have a very cerebral acting president and vice president.

“We have a man who believes strongly in what the president stands for and what the party stands for and we have an administration that is strong, firm on the ground and very much in charge.

“The temporary absence of Mr President does not affect the conduct of government business.

“Of course we will like to have him here, of course we will love to have him in good shape, strong, as the leader of the team, but we thank God he has built a very strong and firm foundation of national leadership, we miss him but business is going on.”

PDP Candidate Wins Etche Rerun Polls

INEC, PDP, Anthony Uchechuku, Etche Rerun Polls, Nyesom WikeThe Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has declared the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the Etche state constituency 2, Anthony Uchechuku, winner, with 4,162 votes to beat Golden Chioma of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who got 1618 votes.

The electoral body has also declared PDP winner in the Etche/Omuma Federal Constituency election on which took place in Rivers state on Saturday.

The Returning Officer, Professor Jeremiah Omotola, announced Jerome Eke, as winner with a total of 15,221 votes against his closest rival, Ogbonna Nwoke of the APC who polled 6,220 votes.

This is coming despite reports that the election was violence-ridden in some units, leading to the arrest of 60 persons said to have been engaged in electoral misconduct.

Meanwhile, the state Governor, Nyesom Wike, has commended security operatives for their conduct during the Etche rerun elections, describing it as professional.

According to him, their professionalism led to no loss of life.

The governor was speaking during a thanksgiving service organised by the state government to thank God for the awards and honours he received in the year 2016, including the Sun Newspaper Governor of the Year and Man of the Year award by Independent Newspapers.

SA Minister Assures Foreign Nationals Of Halted Attacks

SA Minister Assures Foreign Nationals Of Halted AttacksThe South African government has reassured foreign nationals of efforts at halting attacks on immigrants in cities across the country.

South Africa’s Home Affairs Minister, Malusi Gigaba, conveyed the message of peace and reassurance to Sunnyside in Pretoria, an area populated by many African nationals.

Mr Gigaba was the special guest at a church service in the area as part of efforts to douse the anti-immigrant tension which has been recorded in the country in February.

In the last couple of weeks, there have been reports of renewed xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

In a statement, the Nigerian community in South Africa, led by Mr Ikechukwu Anyene, confirmed the attacks and looting of Nigerian-owned businesses in Pretoria West on Saturday.

Anyene said that the union had reported the incident to the Nigeria Mission and South African Police.

“As we speak, five buildings with Nigerian businesses, including a church, have been looted and burned by South Africans,” he said.

Meanwhile, Nigeria has appealed to the South African Government to take every step necessary to protect its citizens in the face of renewed wave of xenophobic attacks in the country.

Russians Mark Remembrance Of Opposition Leader Nemtsov

nemtsovRussians are out on the streets in a peaceful protest, two years since opposition leader, Boris Nemtsov, was shot dead just outside the Kremlin.

The reformer, democrat and a Deputy Prime Minister under former President, Boris Yeltsin, was a fierce critic of President Vladimir.

Those who marched in Moscow on Sunday, carried flags, posters, and quotes from Nemtsov, depicting the war in Ukraine as a crime, and thoughts against the annexation of Crimea.

The rally was said to be peaceful, although green ink was thrown into the face of Putin critic and former Prime Minister, Mikhail Kasyanov.

The late Nemtsov, was shot in the back as he walked home from a restaurant with his Ukrainian girlfriend, late at night, near the Kremlin on February 27, 2015.

Akeredolu Files Appeal Against Court Order On Dissolution Of Ondo LGs

Akeredolu Files Appeal Against Court Order On Dissolution Of Ondo LGsOndo State Governor, Olurotimi Akeredolu, has approached a court of appeal to upturn a judgment of an Ondo State high court, barring the state government from dissolving the local governments in the state.

The case is due for mention at the appeal court sitting in Akure, the state capital, on Monday, February 27, 2017.

The governor’s statement of appeal to the appellate court served on the counsel to the 18 Local Government Chairmen and Councilors, Olusola Oke.

The chairmen and councilors were elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), which lost the last governorship election to the ruling All Progressives Congress, (APC), in the state.

The Ondo State High Court had, on January 17, ruled on a suit filed by the 18 local government Chairmen and Councilors, led by their Chairman, David Alarapon, Chairman of Akure South Local Government Area.

It ruled that the state government, either by their agents or servants, had no right to remove the elected officials until their tenure lapsed.

In the judgment delivered by the then Chief Judge of the State, Justice Olasehinde Kumuyi, the court upheld the claims by Alarapon and 34 others, among who were some councilors, that the council officials were democratically elected to serve for a tenure of three years which would lapse on April 25, 2019.

The council leaders had approached the court to prevent the state government from dissolving, sacking, dethroning, impeaching or removing the claimants from their respective positions, offices, duties, functions, powers and rights.

The claimants averred that anything to the contrary would contravene the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended.)

In granting the prayers of the local council chairmen and councilors, Kumuyi observed that the “tenure of an elected councilors or office holder cannot be abridged or determined at the whims or caprices of anyone one except the electorate.”

Renewable Energy: Experts Identify Inadequate Man Power As Challenge

climate_changeWhile experts have identified great potentials for renewable energy, there are several issues that still need to be addressed.

Among the challenges identified were inadequate man power to deploy renewable energy as well as the finances to sustain such plan.

More Nigerians and energy experts have been pushing for a mix of power generation with more introduction of solar energy.

Some communities in Nigeria are however already benefiting from solar energy which has been installed for them by the government and experts say the solar system is indeed the way to go.

While all energy sources have some impact on the environment, Fossil fuels, coal, oil, and natural gas, do substantially more harm than renewable energy sources; subsequently resulting in climate change effects such as weather changes and ozone layer depletion to mention a few.

The Federal Government has now targeted at least 30% power from solar by 2030 as the need for implementation of policies that would address climate change, has become imperative.

The Practice Manager for Environmental and Natural Resources at the World Bank, Mr Benoit Bonquet, stated in a conference that “about 100 million poor persons would be added to the world’s poor people’s index by the year 2030 unless, world leaders take urgent steps to implement policies aimed at mitigating the effects of climate change”.

Laboratory Scientists Commit To Eradicating Malaria In Nigeria

Laboratory Scientists Commit To Eradication Of Malaria In NigeriaThe Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria, has thrown their weight behind the call for the eradication of malaria in Nigeria.

Members of the association who met at the weekend in Delta state during the 2017 general meeting and public health lecture, agreed that malaria poses a high risk of 97% of Nigeria’s population with over 300,000 deaths recorded per year in the country.

The members say this is the time to reverse the trend and reversing the trend means laboratories in the hospitals must be brought to standards to be able to detect the parasites as quickly as possible.

S.O.N Seizes 200 Containers Of Fake Tyres

SON Seizes 200 Containers Of Fake TyresOver five billion Naira worth of expired tyres found in 200 containers, have been impounded by the Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON).

According to the Director General of the SON, Mr Anthony Aboloma, the seizure, followed a tip-off from a whistle-blower.

The suspects believed to have imported the tyres have been handed over to the police for further investigation.

Koko Community Residents Cry Out Over Toxic Waste Dumping

Refuse, Asaba, ResidentsResidents of a small community named koko, in Delta state, are crying out as an incident of toxic waste dumping is said to have occurred in a pit near the waters of the community.

This is coming after the 1988 incident during which toxic waste was dumped in the area by an Italian company.

A veteran journalist from the area who blew the whistle, prompted Channels Television to visit the town.

Members of the Itsekiri Environmental and Human Rights Group, have accused one Ebenco Global Link Limited, based in Warri north local government area.

According to the spokesperson of the group, the seepage of toxic waste is harmful to residents in the area, plants and aquatic animals.

He also added that as the rain comes, surface and underground borehole water which is the major source of drinking water become polluted.

There are also allegations that samples of the waste being ferried into Koko by a private firm in Warri, have undergone series of scientific test which proves that the waste is highly toxic.

They have therefore called on the Federal Government to intervene in order to prevent a recurrence of the 1988 inicident.

Meanwhile efforts to reach the management of the company proved abortive.

Police Arraign Two LAPO Microfinance Bank Staff In Osun

49 Escapee Inmates Re-Arrested In Imo stateThe Osun state police has arraigned two staff of LAPO Microfinance Bank Limited for unlawful detention of a customer identified as Ekemenah Godwin.

The two staff; Obasekore Tunde and Ogbeide Faith, were arraigned on charges for conspiracy and unlawful detention.

The prosecutor, Mr Mereti Wilson, told the court that Obasekore Tunde, Ogbeide Faith and others now at large, committed the offence on July 19, 2016, around 2:00 pm at the LAPO Microfinance Bank Limited, Igbona in Osogbo.

He said “Obasekore Tunde and Ogbeide Faith did conspire together to commit offence of unlawful detention or deprivation of personal liberty

“They unlawfully deprived one Ekemenah Godwin Christopher of his personal liberty by detaining him for a period of three hours in a store at LAPO Microfinance Bank LTD, Igbona Osogbo against his will.

Wilson said the offence contravenes section 365 and 517 of the criminal code cap 34 vol. II laws of Osun State of Nigeria 2002.

The duo however pleaded not guilty to the charge against them.

Meanwhile, the counsel to the two accused persons, Mrs Bose Poopola, prayed the court to grant bail to her clients on the most liberal terms.

She pleaded that they were ready to provide a reliable surety and won’t jump the bail if granted.

The Magistrate, Mr Olushola Aluko, then admitted the two accused persons on bail in the sum of 50, 000 Naira with two sureties who are expected to be civil servants, not less than level 8.

Subsequently, the case was adjourned till March 20, 2017.

Mike Pence Reaffirms US Commitment To NATO

Mike Pence Reaffirms US Commitment To NATOThe United States Vice President, Mike Pence, has continued to reiterate President Donald Trump’s message to leaders in Europe, telling them that he expects allies to make ‘real progress’ by the end of the year, towards a NATO pledge to spend more on defence.

Speaking at the NATO headquarters in Brussels, Mr Pence said that although some NATO members respected their commitment to reach two per cent of Gross Domestic Product on defence spending, others failed to do so.

NATO allies had agreed during their summit in 2014, to reverse years of military cuts, and meet a goal to spend two per cent of economic output on defence by 2024.

The steps were taken after Russia annexed Ukraine’s Crimea Peninsula, and Islamist attacks in Europe.

However, of European NATO countries, only Britain, Greece, Estonia and Poland have reached the target.