Labour, Oyo Govt. Agree To End Strike

Oyo State, Labour, StrikeThe Oyo State government says the labour union leaders in the state have directed members to return to work after several weeks of strike.

The Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Mr Olalekan Ali, made the announcement on Wednesday during an interactive session with journalists in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, southwest Nigeria.

He spoke after a Memorandum of Understanding had been signed by the state Government and the labour union to call off the strike which began on June 6 in the state.

Mr Ali disclosed that the state government has agreed to disburse the sum of 3.4 billion Naira, representing 100% of its June allocation which is 2.1 billion Naira and the total sum of 1.39 billion Naira of the Budget Support Fund received from the Federal Government as an intervention loan for the payment of January salary, while the February salary is expected to be paid in the next two weeks.

He said the agreement would enhance the Internally Generated Revenue, stressing that the revenue collection agency has been restructured to emerge as an efficient and target driven body.

The SSG further hinted that the government had received required apologies and undertaken from Principals of the affected secondary schools and the All Nigeria Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools, regarding the participation of some schools in the violent protest of June 6, 2016.

The Oyo State Deputy Governor, Moses Alake-Adeyemo, on his part assured the citizens of the state that necessary mechanism would be put in place with the collaboration of the Nigeria Labour Congress and affiliate unions.

He explained that this is to avoid a recurrence of labour dispute that led to the seven – week strike that has paralised public education and other critical sectors in the state.

Mr Alake-Adeyemo noted that the 14-man committee that brokered peace between the state government and labour would not be dissolved until a permanent solution is found to the issue of delay in salary payment.

He added that the union in the state has also given its assurance to work with the Governor Abiola Ajimobi-led administration, to further expand the revenue set for the state government.

Labour Unions Disrupt Education Forum In Oyo

Education, Oyo, Labour UnionsLabour unions Wednesday disrupted a stakeholders’ interactive forum on the future of public secondary schools in Oyo State, southwest Nigeria.

Some members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) in the state invaded the Western Hall venue of the forum to chase participants out in the process.

The state’s NLC Chairman, Waheed Olojede, NUT Chairman, Niyi Akano, and the Coordinator of the Joint Action Front, Dr. Ademola Aremu, among other union leaders stormed the venue to prevent any dialogue from taking place.

Some of the participants, who came to represent missionaries at the event, had to scamper to safety as banners were torn while other stakeholders were chased out.

In a swift reaction, the Oyo State government condemned the attack on innocent members of the public describing it as ‘uncivilised and ill advised’.

Secretary to the Oyo State Government, Mr Olalekan Alli, said government was not selling any school nor returning any to former missionary owners.

Oyo State Government Describes Workers’ Strike As Insensitive

NLC ElectionThe Oyo State Government has described the industrial action by workers’ union in the state as ‘premature and insensitive’ to ongoing negotiations between government and the union.

The Leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in Oyo State Chapter, had ordered its members to proceed on an indefinite strike with effect from Monday May 25, in accordance with a directive of its national leadership.

Reacting to the decision of the union on behalf of the Oyo State Government, the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Ismail Alli, said it was unfortunate, explaining that the State Government had been fair to workers since the current administration took over office four years ago.

He said the government had not received any official statement in respect of the action from the labour union.

“No government in the state has ever increased its workers’ salary as the Ajimobi led government,” he said.

He added that the union should have waited for the ongoing negotiations to end before such action would be considered.

Announcing the commencement of the strike, the NLC Chairman in Oyo state, Comrade Waheed Olojede, said: “You are all aware sufficiently that in the last few months in Nigeria, many state governments owe their workers salaries and pensions. Oyo State is one of those states. In the last few months, we have commenced negotiation with the state government on how best to pay outstanding salaries and pensions of the workers and retirees”.

“We were on the process until last Friday when the national headquarters of the NLC issued a directive, instructing all state councils of NLC, where governments are owing salaries and pensions, to begin industrial action from today, Monday, May 25.

“We have gotten in touch with the national leadership of NLC to make clarification on the action.

The State’s NLC Chairman said the action was regrettable, especially as negotiations between the State Government and Labour had been ongoing before the national leaders instructed the commencement of the strike.

Comrade Olojede stated that no state chapter of the NLC had any superior stance beyond the national body and this necessitated the indefinite strike.

Oyo Postpones Take-Off Of Technical Varsity.

OYO STATE2The Oyo State Government has announced the postponement of the formal take-off of its Technical University, Ibadan, attributing it to the security situation in the country.

The development was announced at a joint press conference held at the State Executive Council Chambers of the Governor’s Office, Ibadan by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Mr. Ismael Alli and the Chairman of the Governing Council of the institution, Prof. Oladapo Afolabi.

It would be recalled that the university, established by the state government, had hither to been scheduled to formally take-off with the admission of its new set of students in September 2014.

However, the SSG, at the press briefing, said that the institution would not be able to commence academic activities in September 2014 as earlier scheduled due to the recent upsurge and spread of insurgency resulting in general insecurity across the country.

He said that all the necessary arrangements had been put in place towards the take-off of the university in September part of which he said was the arrival of advance parties of the partner institution, that is, the Texas Technical University of the United States of America in April this year.

Mr. Alli, however, said that the advance parties were recalled by the partner institution in USA towards the end of last month, thus necessitating the shift in the take-off of the institution.

“We have mutually agreed to watch the security development until January next year when we would review the situation and determine an appropriate take-off date,’’ the SSG said, adding, however, that the infrastructural development currently going on in the campuses of the university at Ajoda New Town, Egbeda and on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway would go on unhindered.

Also speaking, Prof. Afolabi assured that the university would rank among the best in the world, given the arrangement being put in place by both the state government and the Technical University of Texas to provide an exceptional educational experience for students as well as ambience for teaching and learning.

Prof. Afolabi, a former Head of Service of the Federation, said that the university would be run on a public-private partnership (PPP) which he said would enhance its sustainability and make it distinct from other universities in Nigeria.