Ndume Demands Action As Boko Haram Terrorists Ambush Travellers In Borno

 

The Senator representing Southern Borno at the National Assembly, Ali Ndume, has lamented over continued attacks by Boko Haram insurgents in the state.

Ndume told journalists on Thursday that the spate of attacks carried out by the terrorists in the last two months is worrisome.

The latest attack in the state according to humanitarian workers, was an ambush of a passenger bus along Gwoza-Pulka road, Warabe village on Tuesday.

At least seven women were reportedly abducted in the attack, while some of the male passengers who fled into the bush are yet to be seen.

Senator Ali Ndume who is a native of Gwoza confirmed that attack, he added that he received distress calls from relatives of some of the victims.

He urged the Federal Government to intervene and find a lasting solution to the renewed attacks in the state.

“It is worrisome. There was attack in Gwoza, there was a suicide attack bombing, all these within a gap of two months. As a representative of the people, I am worried.

“I hope that the security agencies and the people responsible are equally worried and trying to do something. I appreciate the fact that changes were made last time in response to such attacks but that is not enough. The government must do more to bring an end to this issue of insurgency,” he said.

The lawmaker noted that he agrees that insurgents have been defeated but some black spots  – the Sambisa axis, Lake Chad area, the Mandara Mountains – must be paid prompt and adequate attention to.

Military Frees 125 Boko Haram Suspects Again In Borno

Boko Haram SuspectsAuthorities of 7 Division of Nigerian Army in Borno State, north-east Nigeria, on Saturday, released another batch of 125 Boko Haram suspects and handed them to the State Governor, Kashim Shettima, after being cleared of any involvement in terrorist activities.

The cleared suspects, according to military authorities in Maiduguri, were among the 254 arrested suspects on September 23, 2014 in various operations carried out in the southern part of the state.

Presenting the suspects to the State Governor, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, said that the cleared suspects have been found innocent of any terrorists activities.

He said that the 125 suspects were cleared among the 254 arrested Boko Haram suspects in various attacks and killings in Southern Borno Senatorial District, where the Sambisa Forest, is located.

“These cleared suspects being presented to you were, however, cleared by the military after a thorough investigations by the military of any alleged involvement or participation in terrorists activities in the recent attacks and killings experienced in Southern Borno state,” the PRO said.

He also called on the people of Borno to continue to cooperate with the military by divulging useful information on how to end insurgency and other terrorist activities not only in Borno State but in the entire country.

Receiving the suspects, Governor Shettima said that it was an epochal event for over a 100 suspects to be released and absolved from any terrorist activities by the military.

“The gesture of the military will continue to build trust between the people and troops of 7 Division of Nigerian Army that are fighting terrorism in Borno State.

“We thank all the military officers and men for this historic event of releasing suspects that have nothing to do with insurgency or any terror activity here in Borno state,” the Governor said.

He urged the released suspects to exhibit good behaviours in their respective towns and villages; and to also assist the military by giving useful information on how to end the insurgency.

The released suspects were given 20,000 naira each for transportation to their various destinations, as well as 10 yards of clothes.

This was the second release in the week as the military had earlier in the week released 42 suspects, among which were three foreigners from Burkina Faso, Chad and Cameroon.

Court Refuses To Grant Full Secret Trial For Ndume

NdumeA Federal High Court has refused to fully grant an application brought by the Federal Government seeking to conduct the trial of Senator Ali Ndume in secret.

Ndume, a senator representing Southern Borno Senatorial District is standing trial on terrorism charges.

Ruling on the application, Justice Gabriel Kolawole said that the application was not strong enough to be granted in full.

Justice Kolawole held that while the accused was entitled to fair hearing and fair trial, the state owed the responsibility of protecting the lives of prosecution witnesses during the trial.

He said that the application was caught between fair hearing/trial and state responsibility, thereby necessitating the court to strike a balance between the two ends.

He added that witnesses would be shielded under a special arrangement by the court but that they would not be masked.

Kolawole also said that only members of the press and parties in the suit would be allowed into the court room.

Ndume, who was alleged to be financing Boko Haram, is standing trial for allegedly failing to inform law enforcement agencies of the activities of the outlawed sect.

Justice Kolawole adjourned the case to November 11 and 12 to commence the trial.

75% Southern Borno Residents Flee To Cameroon – MIRP

A civil society organization has alleged that 75 per cent of indigenes of Southern Borno have fled to Cameroon, following the recent attack launched on them by the Boko Haram sect.

The Coordinator of the Minority Interests Rights Project, MIRP, Mr. Mark Lipdo, made this claim on Saturday during a workshop for leaders of ethnic minorities in the North, jointly organised by Gatestone Institute, New York and Stefanos Foundation Nigeria.

While speaking about the security situation in Northern Nigeria, Mr. Lipdo said, “These stories were not taken serious because it involves the minority groups. So we are trying to bring the minorities together to tell their stories, especially now that Nigerians are anticipating a new nation through the national conference. So our aim is to bring cohesion among the minority groups, enable them to tell their stories and find a way forward.”

The group is also dissatisfied with slots given to the ethnic minorities in the National Conference being packaged by the Federal Government.

In one of the latest assaults, the Boko Haram group left the people of Konduga town in grief after an attack on a police station, houses and mosques left scores dead.

The sect members also took hostage 20 young women from a local college.

The Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, who visited Konduga village, told reporters that up to 70 percent of the town was destroyed.

Governor Shettima also pledged that his government wills about 100 million naira on emergency materials.