Court Sentences Falae’s Kidnappers To Life Imprisonment

Court Sentences Falae's Kidnappers To Life ImprisonmentAn Ondo State High Court has sentenced the seven persons accused of kidnapping a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Olu Falae, to life imprisonment.

Mr Falae was kidnapped on September 21, 2015, at his farm in Ilado, a rural agrarian settlement near Akure, the state’s capital in southwest Nigeria.

He was later released by his captors after spending four days with them.

Speaking to reporters, the prosecution counsel, Mrs Adesola Adeyemi-Tuki, said that the prosecution was able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused committed the offence.

“Part of the ransom were found inside his (the first defendant) vehicle at Minna where he was tracked to. Also, some of them made confessional statements and there were other evidences that corroborated their statements,” Adeyemi-Tuki said.

The lead counsel to the accused, Abdulrahman Yusuf, however noted that his team would study the judgement to know the next step to take.

“We were able to knock out armed robbery and conspiracy, so they were left with kidnapping and the judgement for kidnapping is life imprisonment. They were convicted for kidnapping and thereby sentenced to life imprisonment, each of them,” he said.

Attempted Suicide: Two Women Rescued In Lagos

Attempted Suicide: Two Women Rescued In LagosBarely a week after a medical doctor, Allwell Orji, took the plunge into the Lagos lagoon, two women have been rescued along the same axis.

One of the suspects, a 71-year-old food vendor, Abigal Ogunyinka, claimed that she collected a sum of money from a micro finance bank and had failed on the weekly refund for two weeks.

The second suspect, said to be a textile dealer in Lagos Island, had also made an attempt to jump into the lagoon from the Oworonsoki end before she was rescued.

She was alleged to have been indebted to her foreign partners.

suicide

In his reaction, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Fatai Owoseni, said the State Command would ensure that the law takes its course in the matter.

“We will not close our eyes to ensuring that the law takes its course in some of these cases, we will take them through therapy.

“I have asked the Police Clinic to get psychologists that would take them through depression to purge out whatever is on their minds,” he said.

The Friday incidents make the second and third cases of suicide attempts foiled in Lagos State in less than a week.

The first was the case of a middle-aged woman who was rescued by some local fishermen and divers, after jumping into the lagoon in the Maza-Maza area of the state.

Woman Rescued After Jumping Into Lagos Lagoon

Woman Rescued After Jumping Into Lagos LagoonA middle-aged woman reportedly jumped into the lagoon in the Maza-Maza area of the state, a day after Dr. Allwell Orji plunged into the Lagos lagoon. 

The woman was however lucky, as she was rescued by some local fishermen and divers in the area.

According to witnesses, the woman, dressed in a blouse and trousers was earlier seen walking aimlessly and when she got to the middle of the Maza-Maza bridge, she climbed the rail and plunged into the lagoon, but the fishermen dived in after her and she was rescued.

Although her details are yet to be ascertained, it was gathered that she was rushed to a nearby hospital by her rescuers.

 

 

Lagos Police Retract Statement On Recovery Of Dr. Orji’s Body

Man Allegedly Drowned In Lagos Lagoon Yet To Be RecoveredThe Lagos Police have said that they are unsure of the identity of the body recovered from the Lagos Lagoon, after confirming to Channels Television that the body of Dr. Allwell Orji who jumped into the Lagos Lagoon on Sunday had been recovered.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni had earlier claimed that Dr. Orji’s body was found by the Marine Police, at the Onikan end of the Lagoon.

search2
Officials on search operation

Dr. Orji allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the popular and busy Lagos Third Mainland Bridge.

Reports from the Police authorities said he had asked his driver to stop before jumping across the bridge.

Dr. Orji worked at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Surulere area of Lagos State, southwest Nigeria.

Man Reportedly Jumps Off Third Mainland Bridge

Man Reportedly Jumps Off Third Mainland BridgeIt was a sad Sunday as a middle-aged man allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the popular and busy Lagos Third Mainland Bridge.

According to temporary reports from Police authorities, the man who was identified as Orji and said to be a medical doctor, asked his driver to stop before jumping across the bridge and into the water.

The Lagos State Emergency Agency (LASEMA) in a statement said there was a distress call of a man who parked his grey coloured Nissan SUV about 4.50 pm around Adekunle and jumped into the Lagos lagoon.

LASEMA said efforts were being made to recover Orji’s body while the vehicle and the driver have been taken to Adeniji Adele Police Station for further investigation.

The 11-kilometre Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainalnd across the Lagos lagoon.

Ife Clash: Ooni Sets Up Reconciliation Committee

Ife Clash: Ooni Sets Up Reconciliation CommitteeThe Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has set up a Truth and Reconciliation Committee to look into causes of the recent communal clash that occurred in Sabo Area, in Ile ife.

Addressing journalists in Osun State, President of the Ife Progressive Forum, Awowoyin Lawrence, said the ‎committee is also expected to come up with ideas to prevent a future occurrence of such mayhem.

The leader of the Hausa community in Ile Ife, Mahmud Madagali, who is a member of the reconciliation committee, spoke on the helplessness of his people in the aftermath of the crisis.

Affected communities have been receiving relief materials to cushion the effect of the crisis.

The lawmaker representing Osun East Senatorial District, Senator Babajide Omoworare, also visited some victims of the clash who were left behind.

According to Senator Omoworare, “what we have done in the interim is to assure both the Arewa community and the Yorubas in Sabo area that we are interested in peace and we are doing everything to get peace”.

The Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Aminu Koji, confirmed the death of seven persons with several others injured in the unfortunate incident that occurred in the ancient city of Osun State in Southwest Nigeria.

He said the clash was caused by an altercation between a Yoruba woman and a Hausa man on the previous day, but was brought under control on the directive of the Ooni of Ife.

The DCP said the incident left many homeless while goods worth millions of Naira were destroyed.

Hausas Evacuate Sabo After Ile Ife Communal Clash

hausa-and-yorubaSeventy-two hours after the communal clash in Ile -Ife, the last batch of Hausas residing in Sabo where the crisis took place have reportedly left the town.

This is in spite of the appeal from the Osun State Government and the Oni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi.

Traders in the area have also been counting their losses after the mayhem as commercial activities still remain grounded.

The relocation of the Hausas is as a result of the bloody clash which left seven persons dead with several others injured in the ancient city of the state in Southwest Nigeria.

ile-ife-clash

Barely 24 hours after the incident, Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, imposed a two-day curfew in Ile Ife.

Spokesman for the Governor, Mr Semiu Okanlawon, said the decision was “compelled by the breach of the peace in the area which has led to avoidable destruction of lives and property”.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Aminu Koji, who confirmed the casualty figure to reporters, explained that the clash was caused by an altercation between a Yoruba woman and a Hausa man on Tuesday.

He said the situation was consequently brought under control on the directive of Oba Ogunwusi.

The DCP said the incident left many homeless while goods worth millions of Naira were destroyed.

Ogun Govt. To Partner River Basin Authority On Power Generation

Amosun Restates Commitment To Combatting CrimeThe Ogun State Government, has said it is ready to partner with the Ogun-Osun river basin authority to develop nine megawatts of electricity at the Oyan dam.

Governor, Ibikunle Amosun gave the indication when he received the executive management of the basin authority at his office.

The Governor also sought for collaboration in the area of agriculture.

Governor Aregbesola Imposes Curfew In Ile Ife

Rauf Aregbesola, Osun, BudgetOsun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, has imposed a two-day curfew in Ile Ife, Osun State.

The declaration followed a communal clash which left seven persons dead with several others injured in the ancient city of the state in Southwest Nigeria.

Spokesman for the Governor, Mr Semiu Okanlawon, said the curfew takes effect from 6:00pm to 7:00am, and would be in force till Friday.

He added that the decision was “compelled by the breach of the peace in the area which has led to avoidable destruction of lives and property”.

Earlier, the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Aminu Koji, who confirmed the casualty figure to reporters, said normalcy has returned to the areas affected by the clash.

Ile Ife Communal Clash: Police Confirm Seven Dead

He explained that the clash was caused by an altercation between a Yoruba woman and a Hausa man on Tuesday, and was consequently brought under control on the directive of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi.

The DCP said the incident left many homeless while goods worth millions of Naira were destroyed.

Immigration Clamps Down On Illegal Settlers

Immigration Clamps Down On Illegal SettlersThe Ogun State Command of the Nigeria Immigration Service says it is commencing raids on illegal immigrants across border towns in the state.

The State Area Controller of Immigration, Mr Ajibola Bayeroju, said the step becomes imperative in view of involvement of illegal immigrants in criminal activities across the state which has been on the increase in recent times.

He said activities of illegal immigrants were responsible for many armed robbery incidents experienced in the state in southwest Nigeria.

Mr Bayeroju made the remarks while parading three suspected illegal immigrants from Benin Republic arrested in Ayetoro area of the state for an alleged armed robbery.

He said permission for the raid on illegal immigrants has been obtained from the authorities of the Service.

“We are trying to raid them all over the state; that is what we are trying to do.

“A lot of them are here illegally. We are seriously working on that.

“They are all from the Republic of Benin, they are non-Nigerians, they come to Nigeria to rob.

“We are trying to make Nigeria a safe country because of the security situation in the country.

“I am now calling for more synergy with other sister security agencies.

“After leaving this place, they are going to be handed over to the police for prosecution,” he said.

Items recovered from the suspects include a cut to size short gun among others.

One of the suspects, who denied any wrongdoing, said the gun found on him was being used as a member of a vigilante group from the area.

Funds Diversion: An EFCC Detective’s Testimony Against Amosu

Adesola Amosu, Air Force, EFCC, NIMASA, Tosin OwoboA witness has told a court how a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu, and two other Air Force chiefs, diverted the sum of three billion naira paid to the Nigerian Air Force by the Nigerian Maritime and Safety Agency (NIMASA).

Mr Tosin Owobo, an Assistant Detective Superintendent with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), said the money was paid in response to a request made to the Director General of NIMASA at the time, Mr Patrick Akpobolokemi, by Air Marshal Amosu for assistance on maritime security.

The EFCC detective, a third prosecution witness, made the testimony on Wednesday in continuation of the trial of the former Air Force chiefs at the Federal High Court in Lagos State, southwest Nigeria.

He informed the court that investigations revealed that there was a Memorandum of Understanding between NIMASA and the Nigerian Air Force.

In furtherance of the memo, NIMASA in 2013 paid the sum of one billion Naira and 480 million Naira to the Nigerian Air Force under the leadership of former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Alex Badeh.

In continuation of the agreement in 2014, the EFCC official testified that Mr Amosu wrote to Mr Akpobolokemi, requesting four billion Naira, as the cash amount needed for maritime security.

Mr Akpobolokemi was said to have instead approved the payment of three billion Naira, a sum which was reportedly released in three tranches of one billion Naira each between August and September 2014, and paid into a Nigerian Air Force Special Emergency Operations Account.

The witness added that authorisation for the three billion Naira to be paid into the special account was given by the Director of Accounts, Air Vice Marshal Jacob Bola Adigun, the second defendant in this case.

He, however, said that the monies were purportedly transferred from the special account to various oil and gas companies, all of whom have now been listed in the charge alongside the three Air Force chiefs.

The court admitted in evidence, the statements of accounts of the oil companies allegedly involved.

However, a move by the EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, to get the witness to delve into some of the content of the documents was rebuffed by the defence team.

The defence counsels objected the move on the grounds that the witness was not the maker of the documents neither was there an authentication obtained.

Justice Mohammed Idris consequently adjourned till Thursday, February 26 to rule on whether the witness can answer questions based on the documents and for continuation of the trial.

Alleged Police Shooting Of UNIOSUN Students Triggers Protest

Police, UNIOSUN, Students, OsogboStudents of the Osun State University (UNIOSUN) on Saturday went on rampage in Osogbo to protest what they termed “alleged police assault and brutality on two of the students”.

The pandemonium began after the police officials allegedly shot the students who were said to be playing football.

A student of the university told Channels Television crew that “we were playing at Ogidan High School, Oke-Baale around 7.30 AM when they (police) came that we are yahoo boys.

“They demanded money but we said we don’t have money. We are on it when they shot two of us”.

The students of the institution consequently stormed the town about three hours later and blocked the major Olaiya junction where they burned tyres at Oke Baale area of the school.

They were dispersed by the policemen who were deployed to the scene by the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 11 and officials of the State Security Service (SSS).

While the security operatives were said to be firing teargas, unidentified boys on motorcycle reportedly threw stones, thus causing pandemonium in the area.

The student’s representative, Adeleke Michael, said: “They (police) have been coming since last year (and) we have met few times with the Commissioner of Police on the matter.

“They use force in obtaining property from students (while) there has never been any reason and they have never come officially.

“They will go to the hostels and collect laptops, phones and other property from students after which they will later invite them to their station where some of them will bail their items with 50,000 Naira and 100,000 Naira before they release them”.

The Police Commissioner, Mr Adeoye Fimihan, told Channels Television crew at the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Teaching Hospital that the police would investigate the matter.

Mr Fimihan, who confirmed that the two students were shot, said that he rushed down to the hospital to ensure proper care of the victims.

The victims, Kazeem Adesola, a 300 level UNIOSUN student studying Physics/Electronics was purportedly shot in the leg while Ajao Ibrahim, a 400 level student of the same department was allegedly shot in the mouth.

However, doctors at the hospital declined to speak with journalists but one of them unofficially assured reporters that the victims would survive.