Mike Ejiofor Sees Need For Report On Chibok Girls To Be Made Public

Mike-EjioforA former Director with the State Security Service (SSS), Mike Ejiofor, says it is necessary for the Nigerian government to make the report on the abducted Chibok girls public.

The former SSS boss, who was part of the team that investigated the girls’ abduction, said the girls were taken from their dormitory as claimed.

“We looked at the register of people writing the exams and WAEC enrolment and the people who were not available to write the exams,” he told Channels Television on Friday while giving his opinion on Nigeria’s security situation and the efforts to rescue the over 200 girls abducted two years ago.

Mr Ejiofor, however, declined to speak further on the findings since the report had not been released.

He also said he had expected that the government would have released the report, but expressed optimism that the government, being a continuum, would do so soon.

Mr Ejiofor pointed out that the issue of the abducted Chibok girls taken by members of the Boko Haram sect on April 14, 2014 from their school’s dormitory was a puzzle that the government must solve.

On why it has become so difficult to rescue the girls, he said: “We do not have sufficient intelligence on the whereabouts of the girls and this necessitated the Senate to invite the Security Chiefs”.

The former SSS official also said he was never against negotiations with the terrorists on the release of the girls.

“The problem we are actually facing is the issue of getting credible leadership from within the Boko Haram to negotiate with the Federal Government.

“I am not opposed to negotiation especially in the release of the girls because it is one issue that the government must solve.

“The worrisome aspect of it is that since these girls were taken two years ago, several rescues have been made but we have not found one of the girls among those rescued,” Mr Ejiofor pointed out.

The UN had few days ago said in a report that the number of young girls being used as suicide bombers by Boko Haram had increased.

But Mr Ejiofor believes that the girls being used for the suicide bombing were not the Chibok girls.

“The age range of the girls being used are between nine and 12. The girls that were taken, none of them will be less than 19, going by the fact that they were taking their final exams in secondary school,” he stressed.

The former SSS boss also urged the Nigerian government to re-introduce the National Information Centre for coordination of information given to the media on security issues facing the nation.

“The previous administration established the National Information Centre where all services were represented and information is co-ordinated.

“The establishment should be reintroduced to ensure that the government speaks with one voice,” the former SSS Director stated.

 

 

 

State Of Emergency Has Yielded ‘Very Satisfactory’ Results– Expert

Mike Ejiofor, a former director of the State Security Service and Lawyer has described the result from the   state of emergency declared by President Goodluck Jonathan in some northern states as ‘very satisfactory’.

The former SSS Director who was on Sunrise Daily went further to highlight the positive impact that the declaration of the state of emergency has had on the state and its citizens as they have formed an alliance with the special forces deployed to those states tracking and handing over suspected sect members to the troops.

He commended Nigerians for their patience and understanding even though some notable Nigerians felt that the state of emergency would not achieve the much desired result and the security forces deployed for observing the rules of engagement knowing that the international community is watching and so far no issue has been raised and the troops.

He also asked that the Federal Government be given a pat on the back as it is a government that has witnessed the greatest security challenge since the end of the civil war and despite that the nation is still witnessing development and transformation.

Former SSS Boss Says Boko Haram Will Be Phased Out ‘Gradually’

A former director of the State Security Service, Mr Mike Ejiofor, has said that Nigerians should give the Federal Government the support it needs to combat terrorism in the country.

Speaking on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, he said that as long the Federal Government continues to get this support, since stepping up its fight to phase out the insurgents that almost rendered the government toothless in terms of security; the insurgents will be phased out not at once but gradually.

“It has taken over a long period of time before we got to where we are so I don’t expect that within one month all the problems will be resolved

So gradually, we are getting there, there’s no gainsaying there must be some skirmishes, there must be isolated cases of attacks, because it’s an asymmetrical war, it is not a war you have an opponent you are facing and taking on, one on on,”. he said.

Commenting on the relaxed curfew in Yobe state, he said the success recorded by the special troops in the region gave rise to the adjustment in curfew.

He added that life is gradually returning to normal in Yobe State as normal activities have resumed.

SSS does not recycle suspects – Former Director

A Former Director of the State Secret Service (SSS), Mike Ejiofor has reacted to speculations that the security body recycle suspects at different times and for different crimes.

Mr Ejiofor, who was discussing the security situation in Nigeria as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, reacted to the speculations in two ways.

“My first reaction (when I heard the speculation) was that I got excited. I got excited that Nigerians are now becoming very conscious of their environment. This is good for our democracy and development,” he said.

The second reaction Mr Ejiofor gave was an explanation of what happened when the suspected killers of Olaitan Oyerinde, the Principal Secretary to Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State were paraded in Abuja by the SSS.

Following the parade of the six suspects, there were complains in different quarters that the shirts worn by three of the suspected killers of late Oyerinde were the same worn by suspected members of Boko Haram paraded by the SSS three months ago.

Watch the video below for Mr Ejiofor’s reaction to the speculation.