Ex-Ghanaian International Agogo Dies At 40

Ghana’s Junior Agogo celebrate his team’s victory against Namibia 24 January 2008 in Accra after their 2008 African Cup of Nations match. Ghana won 1-0. AFP PHOTO / ABDELHAK SENNA
ABDELHAK SENNA / AFP

 

Former Ghana international striker Junior Agogo has died at the age of 40, four years after suffering a stroke, the country’s football association said Thursday.

“The Ghana Football Association is saddened by news of the sudden demise of ex-Ghana star Junior Agogo,” tweeted the African country’s federation.

“On behalf of the Ghanaian football fraternity, we extend our sincere condolences to the family of our Black Star, Junior Agogo. May his soul Rest In Peace.”

Agogo won 27 caps and scored 12 goals for Ghana. He was also part of the squad which made the semi-finals of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations.

Agogo played for a number of British clubs including Nottingham Forest, Bristol Rovers, QPR and Barnet.

He also featured for Egyptian club Zamalek and Apollon Limassol in Cyprus before ending his career at Hibernian in Scotland in 2012.

AFP

Super Eagles Striker Ahmed Musa Loses Mum

Super Eagles striker, Ahmed Musa. Credit: @Ahmedmusa718

Super Eagles striker, Ahmed Musa has been thrown into mourning following the loss of his mother.

The Nigerian international took to his Twitter page to make the announcement on Thursday.

“What a sad day of my life, just lost my mum,” he said.

He had earlier shared a get well message directed at his mother, who had been ill.

READ ALSO: Middlesbrough Unveil Super Eagles Captain Mikel Obi

The footballer who plays as a forward and left winger for Saudi Arabian team Al-Nassr tweeted two photos and wished that she would soon get back on her feet, to announce to her family, that she was “back in action”.

“I am sure being tucked in bed is not the best thing you know how to do. All your children are waiting for you to get out of bed and say ‘I am back in action’. Get well soon Sweet Mum!” he said.

Harry Kane Admits He Has Been Below Par For Tottenham

Harry Kane                                                                                                                                          AFP photo

 

Harry Kane admits he has fallen below his own high standards this season but said he welcomes the intense public scrutiny of his game.

The Tottenham striker ended a five-game goalless run for club and country when he put his side ahead from the penalty spot in a 2-1 win at Brighton — a result that also ended a three-game losing streak for Spurs.

Kane converted a first-half penalty in typically cool fashion to take him to level with Jermain Defoe on 143 goals for the club.

The fitness and form of the England captain have been a hot topic in recent weeks, with suggestions he has looked jaded, but he seemed closer to his best at Brighton.

“I would 100 percent rather have the focus than not have it,” Kane said of the analysis of his form by fans and media.

“I have scored three goals this season, which is not terrible. Obviously, when you set standards in other seasons and other games, people will talk if you do not reach them and I am the first to analyze my game and see what I could do better.

“Of course, I feel I could have done better in most games this season. Brighton was probably the first game I was truly happy with my all-round performance.”

The 25-year-old said strikers are under the microscope more than other players.

“As a striker, you go through good spells, bad spells,” he said. “The most important thing for me is to work hard for the team, to do a good shift for the team. I am always pleased to score.”

Kane said the Tottenham players are in good physical shape despite the demands of the World Cup.

“A lot of us played in the World Cup and a lot of people have been talking about that but we all feel fit and sharp,” he said.

“It is important we proved that. A lot of people speak about tiredness and fatigue but we all feel fine. We all feel good.”

AFP

Emenike To Miss World Cup Qualifiers After Successful Surgery

Super Eagles forward, Emmanuel Emenike will now be out for between four and six weeks, after undergoing surgery on Thursday.

The Nigerian international will be missing the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying games against Kenya and Namibia in June after undergoing surgery on Thursday as he will be out for between four and six weeks, according to the official website of his club, Spartak Moscow.

“Emenike underwent a successful operation on his meniscus and will miss four to six weeks,” Spartak Moscow announced on their website.

Emenike has also been ruled out of his club’s last four matches of the Russian Premier League season.

It was earlier reported that Emenike will be missing just the World Cup match in Kenya until the surgery was done on Thursday and it was confirmed that he will be out for longer than anticipated.

Nigeria will face Kenya and Namibia in crucial World Cup games on the road next month.

Emenike finished as joint leading scorer at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa, where Nigeria emerged champions after defeating Burkina Faso.

 

Emeneike will now be available at the earliest in mid-June when the African champions would start their quest at the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil.

The striker will be available at the earliest in mid-June when the African champions would start their quest at the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil.

WBA Manager Fed Up with Odemwingie

Nigeria international and West Brom striker is at it again, not at the home front this time but with his club manager Steve Clark.

The former Chelsea assistant manager has spilt out the unexpected saying he is fed up of talking about Peter Odemwingie all the time.

Nigerian international has been a social media freak of late as he takes to twitter to express his opinions once he feels offended by one thing or the other.

It would be recalled that Odemwingie use the same social media network to talk down on NFF amongst other people.

Meanwhile Clarke vehemently condemned social media tantrums saying Odemwingie should physically address him if he has any bone to pick with him rather than go on to the social media network because it is not his thing.

It was reported that the WBA player was fined last week for bringing to the open issues within the club on Twitter.

Odemwingie is likely being seen as a negative influence on the rest of the WBA players rather be a spirit lifter for the team.

Ferguson challenges Rooney to deliver

Manchester United Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has challenged Striker Wayne Rooney to step up in game in terms goal scoring as he also admitted that time off is not good for him because of his ‘frame’.

According to Ferguson during an interview with Skysports “Wayne is going through a period like all strikers do, he is not scoring,”

“He has missed bits of games and been off with tonsillitis, and Wayne is the type of player who can’t miss games because of the frame he has got.”

Regarding the use of Rooney within the diamond formation, Ferguson added: “I am happy with that part of his game.

Rooney scored 34 goals in the 2009/10 season as a lone striker but has taken a back seat since the arrival of Van Persie from Arsenal in the summer.

Ferguson is impressed with the impact that the former Arsenal striker has made and said: “Without doubt Robin is an up-front player.

“He has experience and now our players are starting to realise how good he is. We are getting more aware of the runs he is making and the movement he has up front. Hopefully that understanding gets better.”

The Premier League leaders head to Reading today and the manager is not concerned that their previous fixtures have not been attacking classics.

“I don’t think the form has been that bad to be honest,” the Scot added. “But when you are manager of this club, you have to go through that analysis about Manchester United not being as good as they used to be.

“We are still top of the league so we must be doing something right.”

 

Coach Stephen Keshi,Osaze to end rift

Super Eagles forward Osaze Odemwingie will be flying into Abuja to meet with Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi, for the two to sit and resolve the issues causing friction between them.

Thanks to Aminu Maigari the Nigeria Football Federation President (NFF) for his intervention and after several telephone calls between Maigari and the parties, is intervention yielded some positive results prompting the West Bromwich forward to agree to a reconciliation meeting.

The reconciliation process however will involve not only Coach Keshi, Osaze and  Aminu Maigari but the ‘who is who’ in the football federation.

It would be recalled that the West Bromwich player who moved to from Lokomotiv Moscow has not laced his boot for National colours since the former Super Eagles Captain under Clemence Westerhof took over as the coach of the Super Eagles for almost a year now.

Issues between the two is not yet known but Coach Stephen Keshi’s claim was that Osaze refuses to return calls even after getting to see missed calls, he said this during the preparation for the qualifiers against Liberia last month, a likely reason for Osaze’s long exclusion from the Super Eagles build-up. Initially, the West Bromwich striker was ruled out due to injury.

Victor Moses ready to play ‘Striker’ role for Chelsea

As Ivorian and former Chelsea Striker Didier Drogba decided to leave Stamford Bridge last season after their Champions League victory, the striking role fell upon the laps of the Spaniard Fernando Torres by default ad to assert that, no striker was signed up. But a little into the new season Torres has returned his days of underperformance with dismal performances against QPR, Juventus and Stoke City and he has been under heavy criticism of late.

Manager Di Matteo and Chelsea owner probably decided against signing a replacement for Didier Drogba but their hope of his replacement; Fernando Torres has probably not been playing to expectation as Di Mattio attention turned to Danny Sturridge who unfortunately is now struggling with armstring injury ,opening the chance of every possibility for new signing Victor Moses to fill up that role.

The Nigerian international in response said he will be willing and ready to play the striking role for Chelsea if Manager Roberto Di Matteo will let him as he is up to the task.

Victor Moses said position change on field comes naturally to him as he really does not mind what position he plays from as he is very versatile.

Former Chelsea winger Trevor Sinclair recently urged Moses to ease the scoring burden on the out-of-form Torres. The Spaniard, however, is expected to start the game against Arsenal at Ashburton Grove on 29 September.

George Akpabio becomes Vasco Da Gama Striker

Vasco Da Gama a former Premier Soccer League club in Cape Town South Africa has signed Nigerian striker George Akpabio in bid to notch itself back to the Premier League after it was relegated.

The sole purpose of clinching the Nigerian striker was to come and make the difference in terms of goal scoring for the club which is what is needed if their plan to return back to topflight football is genuine.

Though Akpabio was gotten on loan transfer from another South African club Maarten Stekelenburg’s Ajax Cape Town, a club he still has a contract with.

He has since resumed training at his new club where he has been given the no. 9 jersey and he is likely to his debut career game for Vasco against rivals Santos in a local derby.

The former Plateau United striker who left the Nigeria Premier League as a highest goal scorer said he is familiar with Santos has he once played against the team which was also relegated along with Vasco although at different seasons.

Obafemi Martins joins Levante from Rubin Kazan

Former Super Eagles striker; Obafemi Martins has moved to Spanish club Levante dumping his Russian club Rubin Kazan as he agreed to terminate his contract with the Russian club.

Martins who left inter Milan to Wolfsburg before he moved to Rubin Kazan is expected to earn an annual wage of around €600,000 every season.

Obafemi Martins was entitled to a wage of €2.2 million at Rubin Kazan after signing a deal worth €9 million from German Bundesliga side, Wolfsburg.

Martins signed a two-year deal with Levante on Tuesday and will be unveiled today.

Loaning Andy Carroll a great mistake – Brendan Rodgers

Manager Brendan Rodgers painfully admitted that Liverpool made the worst move as regards the loan move of Andy Carroll over the summer transfer window.

According to the loan deal, the striker will be spending the rest of the season on loan at West Ham after it appeared he didn’t fit into the former Swansea manager’s new scheme and tactics at the Merseyside club.

With three Premier League matches in his kitty this season, Rodgers has already conceded that loaning Carroll was a mistake, and one that the club could regret throughout the 2012/13 season.

Rodgers’ admissions about the star striker’s departure from the club could not have come at a more interesting time for the Reds, with owner John Henry penning an open letter to the club’s supporters as to the reasons behind their lack of summer transfer activity—particularly on the transfer deadline day, when it was revealed they would not be able to sign Clint Dempsey from Fulham.

Henry stated that the club would not be drawn into “expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years and went out to state they would not be making similar transfer mistakes to those made in the past few seasons.

On one level, not so much—the real mistake is the fact that they did not manage to sign another striker to add to their team this summer. The exit of Carroll on loan this season to try and regain some Premier League form is okay, as long as the Reds aren’t left a striker short for the remainder of the season—which it appears they have been.

Luis Suarez cannot be expected to shoulder all the attacking responsibilities, and Joe Allen simply will not be as effective as he could be at Anfield following the departure of Carroll—the same could also be said for Raheem Sterling.

Liverpool’s mistake was not ridding themselves of the £35 million signing; their mistake was not adequately replacing him with another striker and leaving themselves a man down for the remainder of the 2012/13 English Premier League season.

Rooney out for four weeks after injury blow

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will be missing from the Red Devils’ line-up for the next four weeks with this news, he would also miss England’s Euro 2016 qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine at the beginning of next month suffering a deep cut to his right leg in the 3-2 win over Fulham on Saturday.

The information was revealed by Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson during a post-match press conference.

According to Alex Ferguson, the injury was a very bad one and Rooney will likely be out for four week, the player has been taken to the hospital.

Rooney will now miss also the start of United’s Champions League campaign.