Three Arrested In Ogun For Allegedly Beating 23-Year-Old Man To Death

 

The police in Ogun have arrested three men accused of beating a 23-years-old boy to death over an alleged phone theft.

Three suspects who are all residents of Iju Ota were arrested after the father of the victim, Mr Ajibade Gbenga, rushed to the Onipanu Divisional Headquarters of the police to report that his son, Samuel, had been accused of stealing two mobile phones and beaten to death.

According to the man, the suspects beat Samuel up till he lost consciousness after accusing him of stealing the phones. The young man was rushed to the General Hospital in Ota for medical attention but was confirmed dead on arrival by a doctor.

In a statement on Sunday, the police spokesperson in the state, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said after the complaint, the Chief Superintendent of Police in the division, Bamidele Job, led his detectives to the scene and arrested the three suspects.

According to the police spokesperson, if not for the intervention of the police, an angry crowd would have lynched the three suspects after realising that the young man was dead.

An investigation has been started by the police after which those charged will be prosecuted.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Edward Awolowo-Ajogun, has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to the homicide section of the state criminal investigation and intelligence department for further investigation and diligent prosecution,” Oyeyemi said.

He added that the police commissioner warned that the command will not tolerate any form of jungle justice in the state.

Rather than take laws into their hands, he urged members of the public to always report anyone suspected to have committed a crime to the law enforcement agency for proper investigation and prosecution.

Meanwhile, the corpse of the deceased has been moved to the General Hospital’s mortuary for post mortem examination.

Teenager Arrested For ‘Stealing’ Tithes, Offerings In Church

File photo

 

The police have arrested 18-year-old Elikor Ehud for allegedly stealing tithes and offering worth N670, 000 from the altar in a church.

Ehud was arrested after Pastor Moses Nwoke of Divine Chosen Vine Ministry, Furniture Avenue, Ejigbo reported to the police after church service that unknown persons broke the wooden boxes placed on the altar meant for tithes and special seeds of faith offering and stole the money.

READ ALSO: Troops Kill Bandit, Destroy Two Camps Used For Kidnapping In Kaduna

According to the police, in a statement signed by its spokesperson, DSP Bala Elkana, the suspect confessed to stealing the cash from the church boxes.

He also mentioned one Lucky as his accomplice, and the police say efforts are on to apprehend the said accomplice.

The Police spokesperson added that Ehud was arrested on Tuesday, October 15 and will be charged to court.

 

Six Cultists and Gangsters Arrested In Alapere

Also, operatives of Operation Crush attached to Alapere Division have arrested some gangsters suspected to be members of Eiye and Aiye Confraternity, after engaging in a battle of supremacy with dangerous weapons such as axe and cutlass, at Demurin area, Alapere.

The team, led by the Divisional Police Officer Alapere arrested two key leaders of the gangs namely, Olawale Toheeb and Joseph Obinna.

According to the statement by the police spokesperson, four additional suspects namely, Obasi Ekene, Promise Onoja, OgoekeWeri Omokosi, and Saviour Edet, were arrested at their hideout in Mack Brown Hotel, Church Street Alapere.

“The suspects confessed to belong to Eiye and Aiye Confraternity respectively and are responsible for series of violent attacks recorded in Alapere and environ.

“A large quantity of weeds suspected to be Indian hemp, short axes and Cutlasses were recovered from their hideout. The suspects will be charged to court,” the statement added.

Alleged Money Laundering: Court Adjourns Fayose’s Trial To July 2

Fayose Released From EFCC Custody

 

Former Governor of Ekiti State, Mr Ayodele Fayose was on Friday re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Lagos.

He is being arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on 11 counts bordering on criminal breach of trust, theft and money laundering of N2.2bn against his firm, Spotless Limited.

At Friday’s proceedings, Fayose’s counsel, Wole Olanipekun (SAN), informed the court of an application seeking that the matter be returned to the former trial judge, Justice Olatoregun.

Meanwhile, the counsel for the second defendant, Olalekan Ojo (SAN), in his statement said the transfer of the case to another judge by the Chief Judge was a “rape on the rule of law”, adding that the defendants have been foisted with the situation of total helplessness.

The counsel for the EFCC informed the court that the arraignment of the ex-governor could not go on as he was being investigated in other matters.

Thereafter, Justice Aneke upheld the prayer of the EFCC and adjourned the case till July 2.

11 Arrested Over $400m Theft In Iran

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani

 

Iran’s intelligence ministry said Monday it had arrested 11 “economic disruptors” who misappropriated some $400 million earmarked for essential goods and smuggled the money out of the country.

Authorities have been cracking down on those seeking to exploit the collapsing rial, which has lost around half its value against the dollar this year, in part due to the return of US sanctions.

“During these sensitive economic times, this network received 47 trillion rials ($416 million at Monday’s open market rate) of subsidised foreign exchange to import essential goods but instead invested them in some other countries,” the intelligence ministry said in a statement published on its website.

The group, based in the western Kurdistan province, used “bogus companies, forged documents and bribery” to receive subsidised dollars from state banks, it said.

The Islamic republic has multiple exchange rates, with the government offering a subsidised rate of 42,000 rials per dollar to importers of vital goods.

Most Iranians must buy dollars on the open market, where the rate stood at 110,000 rials on Monday, according to currency-tracking site Bonbast.

At one point in September, the rial had fallen to 190,000 per dollar, but the central bank has been pumping cash into the market in recent weeks to stabilise the currency.

Dozens of other “economic disruptors” have been arrested in recent months, and in November, a trader dubbed the “Sultan of Coins” and his accomplice were executed for exploiting the surge in demand for dollars and gold.

Many panicked Iranians rushed to secure their savings by buying foreign currency and precious metals in response to US President Donald Trump’s decision in May to withdraw from the 2015 nuclear deal and to reimpose sanctions.

China To Allow Victims Of IP Theft Sue For Damages

 

Victims of intellectual property theft in China could soon be allowed to sue for damages as Beijing looks to tighten its IP protection framework, state media reported Monday, with Washington clamouring for action on the issue.

Victims can claim “punitive damages” under the draft law presented Sunday at a meeting of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress (NPC, China’s legislature), the official Xinhua news agency reported.

While there has been legislation protecting patents, trademarks and copyright, this law, if passed, will mark the first time victims of IP theft can sue for damages.

“It is necessary to significantly increase the financial penalties for IPR infringements to better exert the deterrent effect of the law,” Shen Chunyao, deputy head of the NPC Constitution and Law Committee when presenting the draft to lawmakers, told Xinhua.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly lashed out at China’s lax IP protection laws, forced technology transfers and alleged IP theft, saying it costs the US as much as $600 billion per year, a charge China has denied.

Chinese leaders on Sunday also announced they were looking at a new law governing foreign investment that would prevent the forced transfer of technology and give foreign firms the same privileges as Chinese companies.

Those who flout intellectual property rules in China could soon find themselves subjected to bigger fines as the country looks to tighten its patent framework, state media reported Monday.

It was presented on Sunday at a meeting of the NPC Standing Committee.

Under the draft law, victims of IP theft can claim for damages, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

“It is necessary to significantly increase the financial penalties for IPR infringements to better exert the deterrent effect of the law,” said Shen Chunyao, deputy head of the NPC Constitution and Law Committee when presenting the draft to lawmakers.

China and the US have been locked in a bruising trade war, with the US seeking a massive reduction in its trade deficit with China as well as deeper reforms in Beijing to stop the alleged theft of intellectual property and further open the economy to foreign companies.

US and EU officials have long complained of a lack of fair access for foreign companies in China, as well as rampant theft of intellectual property.

China’s legislature on Sunday also announced that it is looking at a new law governing foreign investment that would prevent the forced transfer of technology and give foreign firms the same privileges as Chinese companies.

Separately, patent law is also getting amended to increase the compensation amount by up to five times.

Under a draft law also presented at the NPC meeting, victims of patent infringement can receive up to 5 million yuan ($720,000) in compensation.

Bolivia’s Historic Presidential Medal Stolen

Bolivian President Evo Morales (L) and Bolivian cardinal Toribio Ticona (R) attending the celebrations for the 193rd anniversary of Bolivia’s declaration of independence, in Potosi, in the southern part of the country, on August 6, 2018. Jose LIRAUZE / Bolivian Presidency / AFP

 

Bolivia’s gold-and-emerald presidential medal, which dates back to the foundation of the republic in 1825, has been stolen in an overnight heist, the ministry of defence said Wednesday.

The ministry said in a statement the medal was removed  during the night on Tuesday “in circumstances that are still under investigation.”

“At the moment, the official entrusted with its security has been detained and an investigation has been opened (involving) senior officers at the palace guard,” the ministry said.

President Evo Morales showed off the presidential emblems — the medal and a tricolor sash — on August 6 as part of the celebrations marking the 193rd anniversary of Bolivia’s independence.

But on Wednesday, he appeared with neither the medal nor the sash as he made a speech during a military parade marking the foundation of the army, in the central Bolivian city of Cochabamba.

“This is a hard blow for the republic, for the state,” said former president Carlos Mesa, who compared the heist to “the theft of the crown of Queen Elizabeth II of England.”

The medal was a gift from the Congress of the recently formed Bolivian republic to its founder in 1825 and was first used in 1826 as the presidential medal by Antonio Jose de Sucre.

The gold medal, encrusted with emeralds, is normally kept in a secure vault at the Central Bank but is delivered to the president for ceremonial occasions.

The defense ministry said the “intelligence service and all state institutions have been placed at the disposal of investigators to find those responsible for this theft as quickly as possible.”

AFP

IBEDC Staff, Four Others Docked Over Cable Wire Theft

 

A 64-year-old staff of the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC), Akinpelu Adesina, and four other persons were on Tuesday arraigned in an Osogbo Magistrate’s Court over alleged theft of electric cable wires.

The other were Akeem Odeola, 45, Sanusi Usman, 19, Sabiu Suleiman, 19, and Abubakar Ahmadu, 28.

The Prosecutor, Inspector Joshua Oladoye, told the court that they committed the offense on November 19, 2017 at IBEDC office, Dada Estate, Osogbo.

According to him, they conspired among themselves to steal the cable wires belonging to the electricity company.

He said the IBEDC staff stole the electric cable wires (packed in six sack bags) from his office and sold them to the other accused persons.

The offense according to Oladoye, contravened Sections 390 (9), 516, and 427 of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol. 11, Laws of Osun state of Nigeria, 2003.

The accused persons, however, pleaded not guilty to three counts bothering on theft, conspiracy and felony.

Counsels to the accused persons, Mr Remigius Ugwu and Mrs Bose Dada, also prayed the court to grant their clients bail in the most liberal terms.

Subsequently, the bail was granted by the Magistrate, Mr Tunde Badmus.

They are expected to provide the sum of N100,000 and two sureties each in like sum.

Badmus said the sureties must reside within the court jurisdiction with evidence of tax payments and two passports sized photographs, attached with an affidavit of means.

The case was thereafter, adjourned till March 13, 2018 for hearing.

Man Arraigned For Alleged Phone Theft

Owerri, Court, NBA

A 23-year-old man, Abdulahi Tiamiyu, was on Wednesday brought before an Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing a mobile
phone.

According to the prosecutor, Sgt. Bankole Olasunkanmi, the accused committed the offence on August 14 at about 11: 00 pm at Irona Street in Ado-Ekiti.

Olasunkanmi alleged that the accused stole one Techno C7 phone valued at N45,000 belonging to Mr Omirin Oluwole an offence which he said contravened section 390 (9) of the Criminal Code, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.

Subsequently, he asked for an adjournment to enable him to study the case file and assemble his witnesses.

The accused on his part, pleaded not guilty, while there was no counsel to defend him.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Idowu Ayenimo, in his ruling, granted the accused bail in the sum of N50,000 with one surety in like sum, and adjourned the case until September 11 for hearing.

Man Remanded For Motorcycle Theft

Banks React To Court Order, Deny Violation Of TSA Policy

The Modakeke Magistrate Court in Osun State, on Monday remanded one Adewale Adeniyi, 27, over alleged motorcycle theft.

The Prosecutor, Sgt Ona Glory, told the court that the accused committed the offence on July 27, 2017 around 2:00 pm at Apalara Area, Modakeke-Ife.

Glory said that the accused conspired with others now at large to commit felony to wit stealing.

He added that the accused stole one Boxer Bajaj Motorcycle with Lagos Reg NO: KTU 723 QF.

According to him, the offence was contrary to section 383 and punishable under sections 390 (9) of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol 11, Laws of Osun, 2003.

The Defence Counsel, Mr Martins Awe, applied for the bail of the accused in most Libral term, pledging that his client would not jump bail, but would provide substantive sureties.

Magistrate Risikat Olayemi granted the bail to the accused in the sum of N50,000 with one surety in like amount.

Olayemi added that the surety must swear to affidavit of means, reside within the court jurisdiction, and must be a civil servant of G/L 05 or the biological relation of the accused.

Subsequently, she ordered for the remand of the accused in prison custody pending the bail application and the case was adjourned to September 27, for hearing.

Crude Oil Theft: Court Upholds Conviction Of Nine Foreigners

Court Strikes Out PDP Application To Stop Ondo LG PollsThe Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos has upheld the conviction and sentence of nine foreigners for stealing 3,423.097 metric tonnes of crude oil from Nigeria.

Justice Frederick Oho who read the judgment on Monday agreed with the submissions of the EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo and held that the appeal of the foreigners lacked merit and subsequently dismissed it.

Other justices of the Appeal Panel were Justice Hussein Mukhtar and Justice Mohammed Shuaib.

All three upheld the judgment of Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Federal High Court, Lagos.

The Federal High Court had convicted the foreigners; five Filipinos and four Bangladeshi nationals to a jail term of five years each, on the four charges against them with an option of a five million Naira fine for each count.

Their vessel, Mt Asteris, and its crew were intercepted by the Nigerian Navy Ship, Beecroft, during a routine patrol in Lagos in March 2015 while trying to export the stolen product.

Sauce Kid Gets Two Years Sentence For Alleged Theft

Nigerian Rapper Babalola Falemi popularly known as Sauce Kid has been Sentenced to two years Imprisonment for stealing $15,388 using stolen credit card numbers in Boise and Meridian.

Sauce Kid who relocated to the United States was said to have stolen over 15 bank cards, encoded the bank numbers into blank cards, changed the PIN’s, and withdrew cash from ATM’s.

Sauce Kid who seemed to have taken a break from the music scene has been reportedly arrested at the Boise Airport as he was about to board a flight. He was reportedly caught with a card encoding device and more than $6,000 in cash.

This is coming days after fellow entertainer Dammy Krane was charged with nine counts of credit card forgery after he was found with seven fake credit cards.
He has however been granted bail.
Read also: Dammy Krane Charged With Nine Counts Of Credit Card Forgery

Alleged Fraud: EFCC Re-arraigns Atewe, Others

Owerri, Court, NBAThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has re-arraigned Major General Emmanuel Atewe (rtd), a former Commander of the Military Joint Task Force, (Operation Pulo Shield), in the Niger Delta, for an alleged fraud totaling about 8.5 billion Naira.

It is the third time Major Atewe is being re-arraigned by the EFFC and the trial, took place at the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Friday, before Justice Ayokunle Faji.

He was re-arraigned on a 22 count charge alongside a former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, Patrick Akpobolokemi, and two others, Kime Engonzu and Josephine Otuaga.

Their re-arraignment before Justice Faji, followed the transfer of the previous judge, Justice Saliu Saidu from the Lagos division of the court to the Port Harcourt division.

Justice Faji has adjourned till February 13 and 17, 2017 for trial to start afresh.