Five Americans and two Canadians were killed when a light aircraft crashed in a wooded area on the north shore of Lake Ontario, Canada’s transport safety agency said Thursday.
The US-registered single-engine Piper PA-32 departed Toronto’s Buttonville Airport and was apparently headed to Quebec City when it crashed on approach to the Kingston, Ontario airport on Wednesday just after five pm (2200 GMT), Transportation Safety Board (TSB) investigator Ken Webster told a press conference.
Emergency services, including police on all-terrain vehicles and a military search and rescue helicopter, were dispatched to locate the downed plane, which was found in a thick rush.
“Five Americans and two Canadians were aboard,” TSB spokeswoman Nora Vallee told reporters.
Canadian media reported that the pilot was from the state of Texas and the plane was carrying his spouse, three children aged three, 11 and 15 along with two Canadians.
The foreign ministry of Uzbekistan identified two of the victims — Otabek Oblokulov and Bobomurod Nabiev — as citizens of the ex-Soviet country in Central Asia.
It said Oblokulov had been piloting the plane and that the other victims included his wife and three children.
Canadian investigators were busy throughout the day “taking pictures of the wreckage, looking at the condition of the engines and the general condition of the aircraft,” TSB spokesman Alexandre Fournier told AFP.
He added that they would also try to recover the plane’s flight recorder and review radio communications with control towers.
Thousands of fans stormed the streets of Toronto early Friday in a rowdy celebration of their hometown team’s first ever NBA championship.
The TorontoRaptorsclinched the win over Golden State Warriors 114-110 shortly before midnight local time, taking the best-of-seven series 4-2 and becoming the first team outside the United States to win the world’s premier basketball competition.
Thousands of supporters dressed in the team’s red and black had gathered in pubs and bars across the city to watch the biggest game in Canadian basketball history.
At the final buzzer they poured out into downtown Toronto’s Yonge-Dundas Square chanting the team’s rallying cry “We the North.”
“I feel amazing. I’ve been waiting my whole life for that moment,” said Hussein Asoma, a 26-year-old decked out in aRaptorsjersey celebrating amongst the throng of fans.
Fireworks lit up the square as the crowd sang Queen’s triumphal anthem “We Are the Champions”, while others kissed, danced and shouted the team’s name.
“It’s amazing. I’ve never seen a Toronto team win a big trophy like this,” said 24-year-old Brendan Stringer.
“It means a lot to me to see my city happy. Just seeing everyone happy is amazing,” he added.
In recent days prominent landmarks had been decorated in the colors of theRaptors, including the Art Gallery of Ontario and the 3D illuminated Toronto sign in the city’s Nathan Phillips Square.
“And that’s how we do it in the North,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted in the moments after theRaptors’ win.
Cities across the country from Vancouver to Montreal joined in the revelry as Canada celebrated a rare sporting triumph over its southern neighbors.
A fight between two groups of young men that culminated in shots being fired on Thursday prompted the evacuation of a mall in Toronto, a month after a mass shooting in the nation’s largest city left two dead.
Police Superintendent Rob Johnson said the shooting took place on the east side of the gigantic Yorkdale Shopping Centre that is popular with locals.
It began, he said, as an altercation between “two groups of males” with three or more on each side. “At least two shots” were fired by one person with a handgun, before fleeing.
One person was taken away by paramedics in an ambulance, but police said it was “not as a direct result of the shots fired.”
A handful of others also suffered minor injuries as they rushed to the exits after the shots rang out, said Johnson.
Television images showed scores of shoppers and retail clerks lining the sidewalks and parking lots outside the mall, which is one of the largest in Canada, in Toronto’s north end.
Mall officials said stores that were locked down during the incident would remain closed until morning.
Area transit was also temporarily suspended while police searched for the suspects described as in their 20s, wearing hoodies and jeans.
On July 22, a man opened fire in a bustling Toronto district, killing an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl while wounding 13 other people. The suspect died in a confrontation with police.
The rampage — just the latest in recent years that shocked Canadians unused to gun violence — has prompted the federal government to look into gun control.
On Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asked his government to study the possibility of a total ban on handguns and assault weapons.
A man plowed a white rental van into a crowd of pedestrians in the center of Canada’s biggest city Toronto on Monday, police said, with several people feared dead.
Police said up to 10 people were struck, adding they could not confirm any deaths, but local media reported at least four fatalities in the incident.
Television images showed the man and a police officer facing off, their guns drawn. The suspect eventually surrendered his weapon and was taken into custody.
Vehicle attacks have been carried out to deadly effect by extremists in a number of capitals and major cities, including London, Paris, New York and Nice, but the motive for Monday’s incident was not yet clear.
“Update: unknown of extent of injuries, possible 8 – 10 pedestrians struck,” Toronto police wrote on Twitter.
Police then said it was “too early to confirm the number of pedestrians struck or their injuries.”
At least one body was seen covered at the scene. At least seven patients were being treated at the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, the facility said on Twitter.
Officers were called to the scene — on Yonge Street at the corner with Finch Avenue — at 1:27 pm (1727 GMT), police said.
A white rental van with a dented front bumper was stopped on the sidewalk of a major intersection, surrounded by police vehicles.
“He was going really fast,” witness Alex Shaker told CTV television.
“All I could see was just people one by one getting knocked out, knocked out, one by one,” Shaker said. “There are so many people lying down on the streets.”
Another witness, Jamie Eopni, told local Toronto television station CP24: “It was crashing into everything. It destroyed a bench. If anybody was on that street, they would have been hit on the sidewalk.”
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told the House of Commons: “Our hearts go to anyone affected.”
“We are going to have more to learn and more to say in the coming hours,” he added.
The incident occurred as Toronto was hosting foreign and public security ministers from the G7 leading industrialized nations — Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States.
Authorities have not yet stated what the driver’s motives may have been.
“We have no information on that point and we need to wait until there’s information before we comment… I will respect the expertise of the security officials,” Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne told reporters when asked if the incident was terror-related.
“We are all unsettled and very disturbed by a situation like this, it’s impossible not to be — it’s frightening.”
Canada has only rarely been the scene of terror attacks.
In October, a man stabbed a police officer in the western city of Edmonton before slamming his van into a group of pedestrians, injuring four people.
And in Quebec in October 2014, a Canadian man ran over two soldiers in a parking lot with his car, killing one of them. The driver was shot dead by police when he attacked them with a knife.
In March 2016, a Canadian who claimed to have radical Islamist sympathies attacked two soldiers at a military recruitment center in Toronto.
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has recorded a first win over Rafael Nadal in almost four years, after producing some scintillating tennis to beat the Spaniard in the semi-finals of the Shanghai Masters to Face Novak Djokovic.
The Frenchman triumphed 6-4 0-6 7-5 to reach his first Masters final since he triumphed in Toronto last year.
The 30-year-old fired down 11 aces to record his first win over Nadal since the 2011 ATP World Tour finals.
Nadal, a winner of 14 Grand Slam singles titles, struggled to cope with Tsonga in the opening set as the Frenchman pressured the Spaniard’s serve with some heavy hitting.
The victory gives a major boost to his flagging hopes of qualifying again for the end of season Championships in London.
However, Novak Djokovic produced an imperious performance to cruise to a 6-1 6-3 victory over Andy Murray.
British number one, Murray, was brushed aside in the first set by the Serbian as he won just one service game.
The 28-year-old Scot showed some fight in the second set, but never really threatened as Djokovic served out.
Swiss Tennis legend, Roger Federer, is gearing up for a successful outing at the US Open.
The World number 3, having lost the Wimbledon final earlier in the year, again finished as the runner-up in Toronto before going on to win the title in Cincinnati.
A back injury has made 2013 a difficult year for Federer but the 17-time Grand Slam champion insists his injury problems were over and he hopes to challenge for the title in New York.
“I was scared to have another setback, and so it was just not as clear-cut and simple as it is this year,” Federer, who won his five US Open titles in consecutive years between 2004 and 2008, is quoted as saying by The National.
“This year I played a lot of good matches. Not just Toronto and Cincinnati, but really from the first week on I have always played really nice tennis.
“You almost forget how to lose to a point and confidence rises. You’re back to winning ways again and everything seems so simple. I’m looking forward to this tournament, because I really feel like I can play a great tournament. I hope I can show that on the court this year.”
Defending Champion, Rafael Nadal, would not defend his US Open title after pulling out of the tournament with a wrist injury. This paves the way for World Number One, Novak Djokovic, and Federer to stake a claim for the title.
Djokovic, who beat Federer in the Wimbledon final in five sets earlier in the year, is the generally acknowledged favourite to win the 2014 US Open, but he did not sound like it in his last pre-tournament press conference on Saturday.
“When Rafa is not around it changes everything,” Djokovic said. “But, on the other side, we have all the other best players in the world here.”
It is expected that Djokovic would be more concerned by a likely quarter-final meeting with the man who stopped him in the final in 2012, British Andy Murray. Although the British has acknowledged Roger Federer as a major threat.
He believes Federer is in sparkling form and would not be surprised to see the Swiss win the US Open.
Federer faces 29-year-old Australian Marinko Matosevic, the world number 77, in the first round.
The organizers of the 2012 edition of the African Entertainment Award have called out for nominations running through April1st –June 2012.
The event will be holding in September at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Toronto. This event celebrates cutting edge developments and forward thinkers shaping the future of African Entertainment Industry.
It will also incorporate award presentation, live entertainment/Comedy Act, Stage performances, community leaders and Gala night geared to entice our very broad spectrum target market consisting of families, Entrepreneurs and Business Professionals.