Lampard Hints At Striking Reinforcements In January Transfer Window

Chelsea’s English head coach Frank Lampard watches from the touchline during the UEFA Champion’s League Group H football match between Chelsea and Lille at Stamford Bridge in London on December 10, 2019. Glyn KIRK / AFP

 

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard hinted he could dip into the transfer market next month to strengthen his attacking options after they secured their place in the Champions League last 16.

The club’s FIFA-imposed transfer ban was last week reduced on appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, meaning they are free to sign players again.

Tuesday’s 2-1 win over Lille, courtesy of goals form Tammy Abraham and Cesar Azpilicueta, sent the Blues through as runners-up to Valencia but Lampard bemoaned his side’s poor chance-conversion rate.

The victory followed a run of just one win from five matches in all competitions, including a 3-1 defeat to struggling Everton at the weekend, after a bright start to the season.

Jadon Sancho and Wilfried Zaha have been linked with moves to Stamford Bridge in recent weeks and Lampard said he was considering his options.

“I will look at all areas of the team but I think it was quite clear in the summer that you lose Eden Hazard, who was a huge part of scoring or creating our goals last season and the season before that,” he said.

“I think we’ve found ways as a team where we can still be competitive. We’ve shown that in the league and now the Champions League.

“But going forward if we’re looking at if we can get even better. Can we get better in forward areas to help competition to help the idea of being more clinical, then I think we’ll always look at that.”

Lampard said he was “calm” about the transfer window despite recent poor results.

“We are improving and even the little bumps during the last two weeks are part of the process and we don’t see so much in January that you can do great business,” he said.

“If it is there to be done and it feels like it is right for the club that is a conversation for me and upstairs, but I am very calm with January.”

The draw for the Champions League round of 16 will take place on Monday and Chelsea could face old manager Maurizio Sarri, now in charge of Juventus.

Other possible opponents include Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and RB Leipzig.

AFP

Liverpool Vow To Back Manager, Jurgen Klopp In Transfer Window

 

Liverpool have pledged to back boss Jurgen Klopp in the transfer market after their accounts returned to profit with a £39 million ($53 million, 44 million euros) surplus recorded in the latest financial results.

The Reds had made a £21 million loss for the year ending May 2016, but they benefited from a £30 million increase in media revenue from the first year of the new three-season Premier League broadcast deal.

Liverpool’s commercial revenue grew by £20 million thanks to 12 new sponsorship partnerships.

The first season for Anfield’s expanded Main Stand saw match day revenue increase by £12 million to £74 million mainly as a result of increased hospitality sales.

Liverpool’s overall revenue for the financial year to May 31, 2017 increased by £62 million to £364 million – a sharp rise of 20.5 percent.

The figures do not take into account Liverpool’s combined spend of £80 million on Mohamed Salah, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Andrew Robertson last year.

Virgil van Dijk’s £75 million arrival from Southampton and Philippe Coutinho’s £142 million sales to Barcelona — both deals happened in January — are also not included.

Although bank debt rose from £22 million to £67 million through spending on capital infrastructure and player recruitment, Klopp will be allowed to make more new signings when the transfer window reopens at the end of the season.

“Performance on the pitch and the reinvestment in our squad is always a priority and following the club’s record signing last month we will look to invest again in the summer,” Liverpool’s chief operating officer Andy Hughes said.

“Progress on and off the pitch is critical to the growth of this football club – we all want success and everything we’re doing is geared toward fulfilling our football ambitions.”

Meanwhile, figures up to November 30, 2017 show that Arsenal Holdings plc now has cash reserves of £137.6million – up £37.1 million on their 2016 results.

However, Arsenal’s football turnover decreased £23.4 million after they failed to qualify for the Champions League and are instead competing in the less lucrative Europa League this season.

AFP

Chelsea’s bid for Paulinho rejected

European champions; Chelsea got a disappointing news on what would have been  another move to fortify their 2012 squad after it was announced by Brazilian club Corinthians that Brazilian midfielder Paulinho whom Chelsea has been after for a while now has signed a new contract with the club.

Although, speculations are that the move is to find ways to increase the stakes on the  24-year-old, that is larger fee for his services in the future.

Corinthians dismissed the thought of selling their star to the Premier League club, as  Corinthians’ President Mario Gobbi Filho insisted that no bid will be consider for the midfielder as they want to hold on to their man.

“We have renewed his contract and we have adjusted it, now it is at a level appropriate for Paulinho and the market’.

We have no intention to sell him; it is out of the question.

“We have a cycle that lasts until July and we renewed his contract to keep him, not to sell him”

“We do not want to transfer any player in January.”

The midfield anchor man has been in impressive form of late attracting the interest of many European clubs.

Alongside the Blues, Inter Milan are rumoured to be monitoring the situation closely with the club’s bosses keen to add depth to their squad.

Paulinho, who won his first international cap last year, has made six outings for Brazil notching two goals.

My dream is to play for Arsenal one day – Ahmed Musa

Ahmed Musa, forward for CSKA Moscow is being reported as saying that he wants to join Arsenal.

The Nigerian forward, who claims that Cristiano Ronaldo is his role model, signed for CSKA in the January transfer window but seems as if the player could already have his eyes set on a move.  The player, who likes to play as a second striker, has already found the net on three occasions in eight appearances in the league and has also managed to grab two assists.

Although he has not been in Russia for long, at the time when he joined CSKA the player said it is the next step in his career.

So it was clear at the time that he saw the move as merely a step and now the 19 year old has said in response to question about what he would consider being at the top of his career

Ahmed said when he is as good as Cristiano Ronaldo then he is good enough to play for Arsenal FC of England. He said it is his dream to play for Arsenal one day.

To Ahmed, Ronaldo is the best footballer on earth as far as he is concerned and he is his role model and watching him play inspires him.

Ahmed said he is even fashioning his game after the Portuguese as he is his hero.

Already married at a young age, Musa has claimed that his wife has helped him settle in to life in Russia, saying there can’t be a better wife than her.

Described as a ‘teenage sensation’ before his move to CSKA when he was still playing for VVV Venlo, he broke the longstanding Nigerian goal scoring record during his time in the league there, scoring 18 goals in his only season in the Nigerian top flight before making his move to the Eredivisie.

He earned two penalty kicks in his first two games for the Dutch side and went on to score five and created four in 23 appearances in his first season in Europe and in his second three goals and three assists in 13 league games before he moved to Russia in January for an undisclosed fee.

 

Musa is under contract with CSKA until 2016.

Zenit launches £25 Million bid for United’s Nani

Russian Club Zenit St Petersburg has decided to bid for Manchester United winger Nani with a bid of £25 million.

With the Russian transfer window closing Thursday, the Russian club is desperate to have the winger in their kitty this season to be amongst the few big names that have been signed on to the club.

Zenit are also in hot pursuit of to their Joao Moutinho making him the second top target the club is after.

Zenit is filled with so much winning power ahead of the new season as it went on spending spree with the signing of Hulk and Axel Witsel for a combined €80 million, and the club has made known its desire to continue the spending if that will be the solution to get Nani out of Old Trafford and join the club.

The Portugal international has not been having the best of time at Old Trafford talking of playing time due to his poor display against Everton during an EPL game this season as he was later subbed in the game and was not billed to play the next game of Manchester United.

In a quick move, Manchester United acquired Shinji Kagawa who plays the midfield means automatic placement is not sure for Nani and to say the new signing has settled in quickly at the club, this recent move to Russia might be an option that will quite hard for Nani to reject Russia and joining country man Moutinho will also be a thing of joy for the player.

Loaning Andy Carroll a great mistake – Brendan Rodgers

Manager Brendan Rodgers painfully admitted that Liverpool made the worst move as regards the loan move of Andy Carroll over the summer transfer window.

According to the loan deal, the striker will be spending the rest of the season on loan at West Ham after it appeared he didn’t fit into the former Swansea manager’s new scheme and tactics at the Merseyside club.

With three Premier League matches in his kitty this season, Rodgers has already conceded that loaning Carroll was a mistake, and one that the club could regret throughout the 2012/13 season.

Rodgers’ admissions about the star striker’s departure from the club could not have come at a more interesting time for the Reds, with owner John Henry penning an open letter to the club’s supporters as to the reasons behind their lack of summer transfer activity—particularly on the transfer deadline day, when it was revealed they would not be able to sign Clint Dempsey from Fulham.

Henry stated that the club would not be drawn into “expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years and went out to state they would not be making similar transfer mistakes to those made in the past few seasons.

On one level, not so much—the real mistake is the fact that they did not manage to sign another striker to add to their team this summer. The exit of Carroll on loan this season to try and regain some Premier League form is okay, as long as the Reds aren’t left a striker short for the remainder of the season—which it appears they have been.

Luis Suarez cannot be expected to shoulder all the attacking responsibilities, and Joe Allen simply will not be as effective as he could be at Anfield following the departure of Carroll—the same could also be said for Raheem Sterling.

Liverpool’s mistake was not ridding themselves of the £35 million signing; their mistake was not adequately replacing him with another striker and leaving themselves a man down for the remainder of the 2012/13 English Premier League season.

Barcelona pushing for David Luiz

Chelsea and Brazilian defender David Luiz has attracted Spanish giants; Barcelona and they are ready to test Stamford Bridge’s decision on the Brazilian as Chelsea has made it known that David is not going to be sold as the player just joined Chelsea in January of 2011 so there no immediate plans to sell him to any club and this is coming a week before the transfer window closes officially.

With his present value around £30million by the London club, there’s been a speculation that Barcelona has strong interest in Luiz who has been touted as not a guaranteed starter.

Meanwhile, a photograph of David Luiz on private plane was posted by him on twitter saying that he was preparing to fly to Barcelona, but the club responded saying he was on his way to attend a Nike event in Barcelona with the permission of Manager Di Matteo.

Luiz, before the EPL clash between Chelsea and Reading which ended in favour of Chelsea declared himself injured and that he will be missing the match on Wednesday night via twitter.

The player has had a divided opinion at the club since he joined from Benfica for a deal worth around £25m. An unorthodox defender who has been prone to the occasional mistake had his taken by Tim Cahill on Wednesday night against Reading, the England international scored Chelsea’s second goal in a performance that question the defence of the team in terms of discipline.

Chelsea would looking to sign up a right-back rather than a centre-back as Branislav Ivanovic told Di Matteo that he wants to be considered as a centre-back and not as a right-back, where he has found himself playing for much of last season.

There’s already a likely replacement for the Brazilian in the event of leaving Chelsea as Marseille right-back Cesar Azpilicueta is one candidate regarded as a suitable option which the Blues’ have signed on.