War On Terror: Buhari Seeks More Regional Coalition With Cameroon

Muhammadu-Buhari-of-Nigeria-and-Paul-Biya-of-CameroonPresident Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria will continue his ongoing effort to build a more effective regional coalition against the Boko Haram terrorist group with a visit to Yaounde on Wednesday for talks with President Paul Biya and senior Cameroonian Government officials.

The talks between President Buhari and his Cameroonian counterpart are expected to focus on the full activation and deployment of the Multinational Joint Task Force against the Boko Haram, which has been established under the auspices of the Lake Chad Basin Commission.

Joint Measures To Curb Terrorism

In a statement, a spokesman for the President Buhari, Mr Femi Adesina, said that the President would be accompanied on the two-day trip by six state governors and the Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Defence and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency.

He will also discuss further joint measures to curb terrorism, violent extremism and other cross-border crimes with President Biya and Cameroonian government officials.

The State Governors on the President’s entourage are Mr Mohammed Bindow of Adamawa State, Mr Emmanuel Udom of Akwa Ibom State, Mr Samuel Ortom of Benue State, Mr Kashim Shettima of Borno State, Mr Ben Ayade of Cross River State and Mr Darius Ishaku of Taraba State.

President Buhari will also meet with Nigerians living in Cameroon during the visit.

The President will return to Nigeria on Thursday and will undertake a one-day trip to Benin Republic on Saturday for talks with President Boni Yayi to round-off the diplomatic shuttles to neighbouring countries, which he embarked upon on assumption of office.

The visits are efforts of the Nigerian government to strengthen regional cooperation against terrorism and make it much harder for Boko Haram terrorists to operate across national boundaries.

In his inaugural speech on May 29, 2015, President Buhari made a strong statement against the activities of the Boko Haram sect in the north, promising to end the terror attacks.

But over a thousand persons have been killed in different suicide bomb attacks in the north-east, north-central and north-west regions since President Buhari took over office.

Nigerian troops have raised operations against the terrorist group, chasing them out of some areas they were gaining more grounds.

Military Locates 260 Women, Children In Adamawa

Rescued From Boko HaramNigerian troops have located 260 women and children in the outskirts of Chalawa village in Adamawa State where they had been held up while trying to escape from terrorists.

Some of them told the military that they had to abandon their homes to escape from the terrorists when Madagali came under attack, while others were abducted, but left in the area by fleeing terrorists.

In a statement on Sunday, the military said: “They have now been conveyed back to their various communities in Madagali after undergoing the normal security profiling.

Military spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade, confirmed the development. He said they were located on Saturday.

According to him, a number of terrorists died in an encounter with troops who caught up with them as they fled prior to the recovery of the women and children.

“Some of the terrorists still managed to escape with varying degrees of gunshot wounds. Others who were captured are now being interrogated by intelligence officers.

“A machine gun, some rounds of ammunition, as well as some motorcycles and bicycles were also captured from the terrorists. A member of the vigilante group serving as ģuide to the troops was however wounded,” the military said in a statement.

The Boko Haram terrorists were sacked from Madagali recently.

Meanwhile the operation in Sambisa forest is continuing as troops are searching every aspect of the expansive terrain.

The Military had earlier released a video of the counter-terrorism aerial operations in Sambisa Forest, with terrorists seen fleeing the forest.

Boko Haram Food And Fuel Supplier Arrested In Borno

Vehicle recovered from Boko Haram Fuel supplier Nigerian troops on Sunday nabbed a man who supplies fuel and food to terrorists in Daban Shata in the suburbs of Baga in Borno State.

Spokesman for the military, Major General Chris Olukolade, confirmed the arrest on his Twitter handle.

He said a military intelligence had been trailing him till he was eventually trapped in the early hours of Sunday.

“He is presently undergoing interrogation,” the military spokesman said, without giving further details about his identity.

It is the latest development in the counter-terrorism operations in the north-east.

Escape From Terrorists

In another development, troops on patrol on Saturday located 260 women and children in the outskirts of Chalawa village in Adamawa State where they had been held up while trying to escape from terrorists.

“They have now been conveyed back to their various communities in Madagali after undergoing the normal security profiling,” Major General Olukolade said.

Some of them disclosed that they had to abandon their homes to escape from the terrorists when Madagali came under attack, while others were actually abducted.

The Boko Haram terrorists were sacked from Madagali recently.

A number of terrorists died in an encounter with troops who caught up with them as they fled prior to the recovery of the women and children.

“Some of the terrorists still managed to escape with varying degrees of gunshot wounds. Others who were captured are now being interrogated by intelligence officers.

“A machine gun, some rounds of ammunition, as well as some motorcycles and bicycles were also captured from the terrorists. A member of the vigilante group serving as guide to the troops was however wounded,” the military said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the operation in Sambisa forest is continuing, as troops are searching every aspect of the expansive terrain.

The Military had earlier released a video of the counter-terrorism aerial operations in Sambisa Forest, with terrorists seen fleeing the forest.

Military Releases Videos Of Assault On Boko Haram In Sambisa Forest

Soldier battling Boko Haram in Sambisa ForestNigeria’s military has released videos of its ongoing counter-terrorism operations to dislodge Boko Haram terrorists inside the notorious Sambisa Forest.

The video showed the dexterity of Nigerian Air Force pilots, as they taunt the terrorists, with hundreds of them running helter-skelter and fleeing into different directions.

In another footage, vulnerable women and children were seen cautiously and deliberately guided to safety by the Nigerian pilots.

An officer involved in the operation, who requested not to be named, said the essence of the operation was not to kill everybody in sight

“The Air Force pilots deployed their skills in herding both terrorists and their captives in different directions so that those conscripted and abducted were guided to safety zone while the armed terrorists met their waterloo,” the officer said.

Since the Nigerian troops invaded the notorious forest, they have rescued over 500 females. In the first daring and precise operation, the troops rescued 293 women and girls while many terrorists camps, including Tokumbere, were destroyed.

In another operation on Thursday that involved Special Forces, another set of 234 women and children were rescued through the Kawuri and Konduga end of Sambisa Forest.

The sustained operations deep into the Sambisa Forest is being spearheaded by the Air Force through “tactical aerial bombardments and guided reconnaissance,” with the main objective of decimating and clearing the terrorists from the forest which is their last bastion.

The spokesman for the military Dr. Chris Olukolade, said that the troops would continue the Sambisa Forest operations ‘until all terrorists’ enclaves are cleared’.

Since the operation commenced, several field commanders and foot soldiers of the terrorist group have lost their lives with some armoured personnel carriers, vehicles mounted with Anti-Aircraft guns, and several trucks also destroyed by the military.

NEMA Receives Women And Children Rescued From Sambisa Forest

Rescued women and cildren from Boko Haram
A truck of the Nigerian Army carrying rescued persons.

Women and children rescued from the Boko Haram sect have been handed over to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) by the Nigerian Army in Yola, the Adamawa State capital.

The agency, which now takes full responsibility of the first batch released within days after the army found hundreds of other hostages, have given assurance that the  rescued persons would be taken care of under tight security.

Many of the children looked severely malnourished while some of the women held in captivity for almost 12 months were unable to walk nor talk audibly on arrival.

Fourteen trucks from the Nigerian Army fully loaded with 275 women and children, with hunger, uncertainty and deep sorrow clearly written on their faces, arrived in Yola at about 6.30pm local time. They disembark to meet caretakers of NEMA.

Most of the rescued persons handed over to the agency by the Commander, 23 Armoured Brigade, Aba Popoola, were children.

The NEMA officials immediately began documentation, as cries of malnourished children rend the air.

Sixty-nine women and 206 children were each given a cup of tea and bread to quell hunger and thirst, as they were moved to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp.

A week old baby delivered in Sambisa Forest was among 21 other injured people instantly taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Yola for treatment.

After the rescued persons were handed over to the agency, it took several hours into the night to fully sort them out.

This is the first batch of rescued women and children that the military has handed over to NEMA.

NEMA IDP Co-ordinator, Sahad Bello, said the agency would ensure they would be given the right treatment they deserved as Nigeria.

The clearly traumatised victims would in the days ahead undergo intense trauma counselling and social training to help them bounce back to their normal life before the Sambisa abduction.

‘Rescued 293 Girls, Women Are Indigenes Of Bumsiri Village’

Military rescues 200 girls and 93 womenThe Borno State government says all 293 rescued women and girls from Sambisa Forest are indigenes of Bumsiri Village of Damboa Local Government in the state, dousing hopes that some could be the Chibok girls abducted on April 14, 2014.

The state’s commissioner of Information, Mohammed Bulama, has confirmed the latest discovery on Tuesday while briefing reporters on the development.

Some 200 girls and 93 women held hostage in Sambisa Forest, a major stronghold of the Boko Haram terrorists group, were rescued by troops in a mission to clear the Forest of all terrorists.

Mr Bulama said that that the rescued persons would be reunited with their parents soon.

Channels Television’s correspondent in Borno State, Blessing Tunoh, said the people of the state received the news with mixed feelings. They are asking the military to give them more evidence in form of images.

“For now there are no pictures and some of the people I spoke to were having doubts, saying that they expected that the military should have posted some pictures for the parents and others to begin to identify some of the women.

“Right now, there is nothing to hold on to to identify who these women are,” she said.

Also, a front runner of the Bring Back Our Girls campaign, Professor Hauwa Biu, doubts the sincerity of the military authorities and faults their failure to reveal the identity of those rescued.

However, the people are happy that some persons held captive have found freedom, whether or not they are the Chibok girls.

The State government commended the Nigerian Army for rescuing the girls and women from Sambisa forest.

According to the Defence Headquarters, the women were found at Tokumbere camp, inside Sambisa Forest.

Those rescued are still being profiled, the military headquarters said.