Four Commuters Burnt To Death In Ondo Crash

 

A road accident which occurred on Thursday along Owo-Benin Expressway, at Oyoyo Camp, Ipele in Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State has claimed four lives, while 14 others sustaining various degrees of injuries.

The four fatalities were said to have been burnt to death in the accident.

According to an eyewitness, the crash which occurred around 1:00 p.m, involved a Toyota bus, carrying 18 passengers, with registration number, MKD 341 XA and a Peugeot J5 bus with number BDG 330 AP.

READ ALSO: Four Niger State Workers Die As Car Crashes Along Mokwa-Batati Road

The 18-passenger bus was said to be heading towards Makurdi, Benue State while the Peugeot bus was coming from Benin, Edo State to Akure, Ondo State.

The eyewitness said “The two buses collided with each other and immediately caught fire. While other victims escaped being burnt, the four unlucky ones got burnt beyond recognition”

The Spokesperson of Ondo State Police Command, SP Femi Joseph said the injured victims had been taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, while the remains of the deceased have been deposited at the morgue of the same hospital.

Mr Joseph said “It was a case of a head-on collision between the two vehicles involved in the accident. We could not get the names and addresses of the drivers of the two vehicles.”

Also confirming the accident, the Head of Operations of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Ondo State Sector Command, Mr Olusegun Ogungbemide said immediately the accident occurred, men of the corps moved to the scene of the crash where they took the victims to the hospital.

Four Niger State Workers Die As Car Crashes Along Mokwa-Batati Road

 

Four Staff of the Niger State Ministry of Lands and Housing have been confirmed dead, following a motor accident which occurred on Wednesday evening along Mokwa-Batati road in Mokwa local government area of the state.

The Federal Road Safety Corps unit command in the area confirmed the accident to Channels Television via telephone conversation.

He says the crash involving a Trailer and a Honda Civic car took place just after Batati village, after a heavy downpour.

READ ALSO: Petrol Tanker Explodes In Anambra, Kills Mother And Child

The four staff of the State Ministry of lands and housing were said to be on their way to Mokwa when the accident happened.

They were confirmed dead at the spot where the accident occurred.

According to a report by the Ministry’s Head of Information, the victims are Ibrahim Audu, Abubakar DANJUMA, BABAN KOGI and Idris Jibrin.

As at the time of filing this report, the remains of some of the victims have been claimed by their relations for burial.

Teenager Killed In French Car Rally Accident

 

A teenager died Saturday and five people were injured when the driver of a car taking part in an auto rally in France ran into spectators.

The accident occured during the Rallye des Cardabelles in the southern French region of Millau as the driver was coming out of a hairpin bend, a local official said.

A 19-year-old man died on the spot while another teenager was flown by helicopter to Toulouse in a serious condition, Patrick Bernie told AFP.

The others injured included the driver and three other spectators.

The spectators were standing at a spot that was forbidden to the public, an AFP correspondent said.

15 Feared Dead After Boat Capsizes In Bauchi

Governor of Bauchi State during his visit to families of the deceased.

 

At least 15 people are feared dead after a boat carrying 30 farmers capsized on Kirfi River in Kirfi Local Government Area of Bauchi State.

The passengers were said to be on their way to their farms when the accident happened on Monday.

While 15 persons have been rescued and four bodies have been recovered, the others are still missing.

Meanwhile, Governor Bala Mohammed has visited families of the deceased to commiserate with them over the unfortunate incident.

During the visit, he donated N10 million to the families.

PHOTOS: Three Dead, Two Injured In Ondo Road Accident

A photo from the scene of the accident in Akure, Ondo State.

 

 

Three people have been confirmed dead and two others in critical condition at a hospital after an early morning road accident in Akure, the Ondo State capital.

The accident which occurred on Friday involved a Lexus car said to be on top speed and carrying five passengers.

The vehicle lost control and collided with a stationary truck along Oyemekun road in Akure city, sources told Channels Television.

Officials of the Ondo State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) arrived early at the scene of the accident to evacuate the victims and the car.

The Corps Commander, Rotimi Adeleye, who confirmed the casualty figure to Channels Television, explained that the command was alerted of the accident at about 5AM.

He said investigations revealed that the vehicle was on top speed and the occupants were drunk.

According to Adeleye, three passengers including the driver died on the spot while and the other two occupants were in critical condition.

He, therefore, appealed to motorists and other road users to always exercise caution on the road.

See photos below:

DR Congo Gold Mine Collapse Toll Rises To 21

 

At least 21 people have died after an illegal gold mine collapsed in Maniema in eastern DR Congo, the provincial governor said Thursday, a day after the accident.

“There have already been 21 deaths,” Augustin Musafiri, the governor of Maniema, said without giving details.

On Wednesday, Steve Mbikayi, the minister of national solidarity and humanitarian action, tweeted that 14 people had died and three had been hospitalised with serious injuries.

READ ALSO: Fourteen Dead After Illegal Mine Collapses In DR Congo

A civil society activist Justin Kyanga Asumani on Thursday said there were 25 deaths “because 10 new bodies have been recovered, including nine men and one woman.” He had given a toll of 15 on Wednesday.

The collapse took place in the mining region of Kampene, about 180 kilometres (about 110 miles) south of the provincial capital Kindu.

Deadly accidents are frequent in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s informal mining sector, where safety is poor.

Subsistent miners rush to an area where valuable minerals are discovered, often digging deep shafts that then collapse.

In May, a public body focussing on subsistence (also called artisanal) mines had asked the mining ministry to shut down the Kampene site on the grounds it had become “too dangerous.”

13 People Killed In Thailand Road Accident

Thirteen people, most of them students, were killed when a pick-up truck flipped over while trying to change lanes on Sunday in the Thai capital, police said.

Graphic CCTV footage shows passengers riding in the back being hurled out of the vehicle onto the road in Bangkok’s suburbs.

“Twelve people died instantly and one later died at the hospital,” police officer Samran Chaytao told AFP, adding that nine of them were college-age students finished mechanical training for a local company.

A total of 18 people were in the truck, which was coming from an evening out with students and company officials celebrating the end of their training, Samran said.

Two of the five survivors had severe injuries.

Deadly accidents are common in Thailand, which regularly tops lists of the world’s most lethal roads, with speeding, drunk driving and weak law enforcement all contributing factors.

Though many of the victims are motorcyclists, bus crashes involving groups of tourists and migrant labourers often grab headlines.

In March last year at least 18 people were killed and dozens wounded when a bus carrying people returning from holiday in northeastern Thailand swerved off the road and smashed into a tree.

The World Health Organisation’s most recent data showed Thailand with 32.7 road deaths per 100,000 people, compared to 12.4 in the United States.

AFP

UN Peacekeeping Helicopter Crashes In C.Africa, Three Dead

 

Three people were killed and a fourth was injured when a combat helicopter used by United Nations peacekeepers in the Central African Republic crashed on landing, the UN force said on Friday.

“It is with immense sorrow that I have learned of the crash of a Senegalese combat helicopter as it was landing at Bouar, leading to three deaths and one injured,” the head of the MINUSCA mission, Mankeur Ndiaye, said on Twitter.

At Least 52 Killed In Chad Gold Mine Collapse This Week

Chad

 

 

At least 52 people died when an illegal gold mine collapsed in northern Chad this week, a government source said on Friday, with authorities still searching for more bodies.

Chad officials initially said as many as 30 people may have died when the mine caved in on Tuesday in Kouri Bougoudi, in Tibesti province, near the Libyan border, an area rife with illicit mining and smugglers.

Another source who was part of a mission to visit the area also confirmed the new death toll.

“There are 37 injured, including 21 seriously,” the second source said.

Tibesti is largely lawless and home to numerous gangs and traffickers seeking to profit from a gold rush in the area.

Clashes in January between Arab miners from Libya and miners from Chad’s Ouaddai community left “dozens” dead, according to security and mining sources.

Kouri Bougoudi has been the centre of clashes among ethnic, local and foreign groups since 2012 and 2013 after the discovery of gold deposits there.

The Chadian government has authorised mining companies to exploit the deposits but rights groups accuse authorities of using Arab fighters to force a takeover of the area.

Chad, a huge impoverished country in the heart of the Sahel, has been chronically unstable since it gained independence from France in 1960.

In March, the Chadian government decided to set up a joint security force in Tibesti and closed the border with southern Libya — a major source of trafficking and a haven for Chadian rebels.

That move was followed in August by a decree by President Idriss Deby declaring a state of emergency in Tibesti and two other provinces.

Man Drowns While Trying To Propose Underwater

 

An American man has drowned while proposing to his girlfriend underwater at an idyllic island off the coast of Tanzania, a luxury resort said in a statement Sunday.

His girlfriend Kenesha Antoine posted on her Facebook page footage of Steven Weber proposing to her through the window of their underwater hotel room at the luxury Manta Resort in Zanzibar.

“You never emerged from those depths so you never got to hear my answer, ‘Yes! Yes! A million times, yes, I will marry you!!’,” she wrote Friday in a post confirming his death.

Her video shows Weber swimming up to the window, and pressing a handwritten note against it which read: “I can’t hold my breath long enough to tell you everything I love about you, but everything I love about you I love more every day. Will you please be my wife, marry me.”

He then pulled out a ring as Antoine squealed with joy while filming.

It is unclear what went wrong during the proposal at Pemba Island, a popular honeymoon destination.

“We never got to embrace and celebrate the beginning of the rest of our lives together, as the best day of our lives turned into the worst, in the cruelest twist of fate imaginable,” Antoine wrote.

“Knowing him, always quick with an off-color joke, he’s probably entertaining someone with a story about how he royally screwed up that proposal and died while being extra.”

Manta CEO Matthew Saus confirmed to AFP in an email Sunday that “a male guest tragically drowned while freediving alone outside the underwater room” on Thursday.

“The accident is currently under investigation by the local Zanzibar police authority.”

The couple were staying in the resort’s famed “Underwater Room”, a $1,700 (1,500 euro) a-night floating structure offshore in crystal clear waters, where the bed is surrounded by glass windows looking into the ocean.

Three Killed In Italy Boat Accident

A tourist boat sails on the Gran Canal at sunset on September 14, 2019 in Venice.
Ludovic MARIN / AFP

 

Three people have been killed in Venice after a powerboat attempting to break an offshore record slammed into an artificial spit of land in the dark, Italian firefighters and media reports said Wednesday.

Italian champion Fabio Buzzi and two British racers died in the crash late Tuesday while another Italian racer survived, the reports said citing Giampaolo Montavoci, president of the national offshore and endurance commission.

The accident happened as the vessel, some 20 metres (65 feet) long and able to travel up to 130 kilometres (80 miles) an hour, tried to break the Monte Carlo to Venice record.

Firefighters said they pulled three bodies from the submerged boat while the survivor had been thrown clear.

The vessel was nearly at the finishing line when it hit the Punta Sabbioni spit, built to protect the city’s “Mose” flood barrier, reports said.

Large boulders piled up on one another from the sea floor run the length of the spit.

The UNESCO World Heritage Site is slowly sinking — something the “Mose” (Moses) system is designed to combat.

The crash was the latest in a string of accidents in the floating city, which sees everything from tiny gondolas to speedboats and vast cruise ships cross its waterways.

In June, the giant 13-deck MSC Opera rammed into a dockside in Venice and knocked into a small tourist boat, injuring four people and sending others on the pier running for safety.

A month later, the 12-deck Costa Deliziosa, nearly 300 metres long, narrowly missed a yacht while being towed out of Venice in stormy conditions.

But the hugely costly array of mobile barriers at the mouth of Venice’s lagoon has suffered years of delays, and is now only expected to be finished in 2021, local daily La Nuova di Venezia said.

AFP

At Least 11 Dead In Rio Hospital Blaze

Firefigters transfer a patient during a fire at the Badim private Hospital in Tijuca neighborhood, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on September 12, 2019. MAURO PIMENTEL / AFP

 

At least 11 people, many of them elderly, were killed when a fire swept through a hospital in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro as staff and desperate visitors battled to rescue patients from smoke-filled wards.

Hospital authorities said the blaze late on Thursday was thought to have been caused by a short circuit in a generator, although the city mayor said sabotage could not be ruled out.

Firefighters tackled the fire at the private Badim hospital, near Rio’s Maracana World Cup football stadium, for several hours before finally managing to extinguish it.

READ ALSO: Trump Condemns Drone Attacks In Call With Saudi Crown Prince

The city’s forensic institute said most of the dead were aged 66 or over, many of whom were in the intensive care unit.

“The majority were due to suffocation and other causes related to the accident… the devices keeping them alive stopped working because of the fire,” Gabriela Graca, director of the forensic institute, told local media.

Emergency personnel searched through the burned-out building until the early hours of Friday to recover bodies.

The hospital said there had been 103 patients in the building when the fire broke out and that “more than 100 doctors were mobilized to bring help to the victims.” Seventy-seven of them had been moved to other hospitals while 14 had been cleared to return home.

During the evacuation, patients on gurneys and stretchers were carried into surrounding streets as ambulances struggled through crowds of curious onlookers to transport patients to other medical facilities.

“The doctor arrived in the room and told us that there was a fire and that we had to evacuate as quickly as possible,” 58-year-old Teresa Dias, who was visiting her father, told AFP.

“They put him on a wheelchair and tied him up to prevent him from falling out. There were a lot of other sick people on stretchers on the stairs.”

Staff wheeled medical equipment outside, and the most seriously ill patients were taken at first to a nearby children’s nursery.

Sheets tied together were seen hanging from hospital windows.

– Smoke spread quickly –
“I was able to take my mother out of her room and when we got to the fire escape, there were a lot of people running around,” lawyer Carlos Otorelo, whose 93-year-old mother was being treated for pneumonia, told the UOL news website.

“It was terrible because the smoke spread very quickly.”

Other relatives were forced to wait outside for word on their loved ones as dense black fumes filled the sky.

“I heard the loud noise of glass breaking and thought it was shooting or a robbery when I heard screaming. I went downstairs to see what was happening and I saw a lot of smoke,” said one resident, Terezinha Machado, 76.

Hospital authorities said smoke spread to all floors of the building and pointed to a generator in the oldest part of the complex as the probable cause of the fire.

Mayor Marcelo Crivella said investigators would probe whether the fire was an accident.

“Experts will have to find whether anyone was responsible. I hope I am wrong, but we have to check there was no sabotage, we have to investigate,” he told reporters when visiting the hospital Friday.

The fire service said the premises had safety certificates.

Rio has been hit by two major fires in the past year, including when the National Museum was gutted by flames last September, destroying most of its priceless collections.

In February, 10 teenage members of the Flamengo football club were killed in the prefabricated building where they were staying.

Faulty air conditioning systems were the cause of both fires.